Page 511 of 748 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513521561611 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,220 of 14943

Thread: NBA Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    But you are assuming that kids are learning the right skills in college. These kids basically don't care about the educational side and only care about the basketball side. The kids that do are basically kids that have no shot at making the NBA as is.

Get them into a pro-style developmental program and give them life lessons. Pay a living wage when they are younger and teach them additional skills to succeed in the world. Even if they dont make the pro's it would be a great conduit to get into either coaching or broadcasting at some level.

I understand who wrote the article. I still think it holds merit. The NBA is FLUSH with cash right now. Re-investing it into the overall developmental program is best. College basketball is a disaster. These kids should be learning by better teachers.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    College is a much getter system for these kids than other type of pro deal. These kids aren't ready at age 18 to be on their own. I do like the idea of forcing kids to stay in college for 2 years (which is realistically the best for the kids in the long term for 90% of them).
    I don't believe forcing athletes into indentured servitude is in anybody's best interest except the NCAA and the NBA who want to use the NCAA as a free way to develop professional players.

Seriously, what issues do 19 year olds have in the NBA? I can't think of a single one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Seriously, what's wrong with the current system?

What was wrong with the old system??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't believe forcing athletes into indentured servitude is in anybody's best interest except the NCAA and the NBA who want to use the NCAA as a free way to develop professional players.

Seriously, what issues do 19 year olds have in the NBA? I can't think of a single one.
    Its amazing that we are all ok with these kids making hundreds of millions of dollars for the NCAA and not getting anything but an education they wont use. Get them into the D-League and really teach them about life.

Also, the way college athletes are "worshipped" on college campuses are not good for the kids.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts

I love the idea of contracts not counting against cap in the first year. You could have a lot of first round picks then learning the right way and improving the minor league system.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But you are assuming that kids are learning the right skills in college. These kids basically don't care about the educational side and only care about the basketball side. The kids that do are basically kids that have no shot at making the NBA as is.

Get them into a pro-style developmental program and give them life lessons. Pay a living wage when they are younger and teach them additional skills to succeed in the world. Even if they dont make the pro's it would be a great conduit to get into either coaching or broadcasting at some level.

I understand who wrote the article. I still think it holds merit. The NBA is FLUSH with cash right now. Re-investing it into the overall developmental program is best. College basketball is a disaster. These kids should be learning by better teachers.

I bet you learn more life lessons in college than a week long seminar on life lessons when you are an 18 year old with 1 million dollars in the back.

You are wrong on the educational side. Obviously 5 star recruits that want to go to Kentucky for a year don't benefit for college, but what about the other 99% of kids? You give them a choice to go make money in the D League, they are going to take it and blow it.

Not many of these kids that don't make it are going to succeed in other areas.

I know a ton of college kids that went to college for basketball or football, they had no interest in school. 4 years later, they have a degree, have been in a structured environment and become successful in avenues outside of sports. If you would have given them the choice to go pro at 18, there is a darn good chance they don't have the same opportunities.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts

How many of them et lazy, go broke, flame out, etc?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Its amazing that we are all ok with these kids making hundreds of millions of dollars for the NCAA and not getting anything but an education they wont use. Get them into the D-League and really teach them about life.

Also, the way college athletes are "worshipped" on college campuses are not good for the kids.
    They get free education, free food, free access to the best healthcare, weight training, housing, and a little bit of extra spending money. You are completely wrong that athletes don't use the education they obtain.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts

I would rather keep the system in place that go to the one the agent suggested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    I bet you learn more life lessons in college than a week long seminar on life lessons when you are an 18 year old with 1 million dollars in the back.

You are wrong on the educational side. Obviously 5 star recruits that want to go to Kentucky for a year don't benefit for college, but what about the other 99% of kids? You give them a choice to go make money in the D League, they are going to take it and blow it.

Not many of these kids that don't make it are going to succeed in other areas.

I know a ton of college kids that went to college for basketball or football, they had no interest in school. 4 years later, they have a degree, have been in a structured environment and become successful in avenues outside of sports. If you would have given them the choice to go pro at 18, there is a darn good chance they don't have the same opportunities.
    Those 99% of kids that you are talking about wont get drafted and will be forced to go to college. Thats the point. To get the kids that actually have a shot at being professionals with the right development.

I didnt learn life lessons in college. I'm not sure what life lessons you are supposed to learn. I learned more about life once I started working and earning my own money as opposed to going to class for 4 hours a day and partying the rest.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    They get free education, free food, free access to the best healthcare, weight training, housing, and a little bit of extra spending money. You are completely wrong that athletes don't use the education they obtain.
    They will get all those things (aside) from housing in the D-League.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    They will get all those things (aside) from housing in the D-League.
    and education to help them when they flame out in 3 years.

Have you read about the problems minor league baseball players have? They end up having to try to hold on till age 40 making 1k per month because they have no other options. They have no job skills or education and make no money at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts

Agreed.

At least in the NBA players are held accountable to some degree. In college, coaches and administration bend over backwards to cover things up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    How many of them et lazy, go broke, flame out, etc?
    This doesn't happen in college?

What evidence is there that going to two years of college fixes that?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Like I said, indentured servitude.

It's like working at a grocery store and getting paid with store credit.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Agreed.

At least in the NBA players are held accountable to some degree. In college, coaches and administration bend over backwards to cover things up.
    Yeah, Syracuse and UNC>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

**while making the grocery store and the executives millions upon millions of dollars.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    This doesn't happen in college?

What evidence is there that going to two years of college fixes that?
    4 years does :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    and education to help them when they flame out in 3 years.

Have you read about the problems minor league baseball players have? They end up having to try to hold on till age 40 making 1k per month because they have no other options. They have no job skills or education and make no money at all.
    The players can use the living wage to go to school. I'm sure hte NBA would have hte ability to subsidize those payments as well.

College education on the whole is overrated as is unless you are gettin gthe right degree.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts

Store credit and the opportunity to make a real living when you are done.