Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bud Norris to Dodgers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There was some brief discussion about the article written about Norris' comments on hitters pimping HRs. Just responding to that.
    ohhhhhh... right, my bad

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    I agree with smoot. As the old saying goes. Act like you've been here before. I tend to agree with whoever mentioned earlier that the way the game has evolved has encouraged this type of behavior. Pitchers can't pitch inside anymore without getting some kind of warning and possibly ejected. If a hitter pimped a homerun after hitting it off someone like Gibson, Ryan, Clemens, or Pedro they would be on their ass or walking to 1st in their next AB and would think twice before doing that again. There is a difference between going all Joe Carter as you round the bases on a world series winning homer and standing there looking at it in a July game in the 5th inning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I agree with smoot. As the old saying goes. Act like you've been here before. I tend to agree with whoever mentioned earlier that the way the game has evolved has encouraged this type of behavior. Pitchers can't pitch inside anymore without getting some kind of warning and possibly ejected. If a hitter pimped a homerun after hitting it off someone like Gibson, Ryan, Clemens, or Pedro they would be on their ass or walking to 1st in their next AB and would think twice before doing that again. There is a difference between going all Joe Carter as you round the bases on a world series winning homer and standing there looking at it in a July game in the 5th inning.

I just look at it as the "dumbing down" of the game. I mean, look how much Jose Bautista's playoff bat flip was celebrated and marketed. Baseball needs to pick up the common fans, and this is a way to "get them excited" about what many consider a boring sport. Look at the NFL. People love the end zone celebrations, and they even end up creating global dance moves out of them. With MLB trailing NFL in rankings, maybe they're happy about these celebrations. Just my thoughts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I just look at it as the "dumbing down" of the game. I mean, look how much Jose Bautista's playoff bat flip was celebrated and marketed. Baseball needs to pick up the common fans, and this is a way to "get them excited" about what many consider a boring sport. Look at the NFL. People love the end zone celebrations, and they even end up creating global dance moves out of them. With MLB trailing NFL in rankings, maybe they're happy about these celebrations. Just my thoughts.
    Texas still hasn't forgotten that, and Odor popped him good as payback earlier this year. I cannot say I blame Texas for responding as they did. However, it did turn MLB into NHL for a bit there between Toronto and Texas. :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    We can close the book on this deal. Definitely not a major asset.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    This was a clear win in my opinion.. dropping salary and picking up good BP pieces..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-08-2016), Garmel (07-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    It was a clear win, we can certainly say that now that we know everyone involved. It also shows how timing is very key in making good trades, we sold high on Norris at a good time. That is wise, but thanks to Snitker misusing Vizciano so much of late and our media talking like we don't trust him to save games now or at least shouldn't. Now if we trade Viz we likely won't get as much back, if so then the wise move would be to hold on to Viz at least through this season. This would give him time to right the ship and then you can trade him this off-season for more or at the deadline next season.

That said, Snitker has really hurt us concerning Viz already and if he continues doing this we're not getting back what we would've before hand in any trade (now or this off season). The FO should've made sure he didn't do this with Viz, they should've protected their major trade chip before it got to this point. Now teams that had interest in Viz seem to be losing interest and those interested will likely not be paying as much in a trade.