Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Up next: Gattis to the Oakland Athletics for Billy Burns
    I read that too fast. I thought you wrote Gattis for Billy Beane.

I think I would have to become a Royals fan.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    BenBadler
    Good chance the 2016 draft pick the Padres can get when Justin Upton leaves ends up better than any of the prospects they traded to Atlanta

Ouch. We got a bunch of spare parts.
    Like I said. Quantity over quality is what the Braves went with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    My preference was to re-sign Upton.

I just don't like how so many people have a clear vendetta against Hart/JS.
    Ah. I understand. You have to admit, this is a disappointing haul after speculating that Hart was masterfully playing the field to get max value out of Justin. And that's on top of the overall confusion regarding the Mukaki Rebuild. We still have EVERY problematic player, our cuntrod manager, and we've lost our best offensive player and our player with the most potential. This has every chance of spiraling into a decade of frustration.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    What I don't get about Fried with some of you guys is that if he never had surgery he wouldn't have been available. Had to take a chance.
    I don't see why that would be true....he was ranked 51st pre-surgery and SDs #3 prospect. I don't see how those rankings equal "untouchable"
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    thethe has to defend what the team does. the system never fails.
    The system that they have rebuilt didn't fail much at the mionr league level for 20 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    I don't know this team anymore. Lets trade Simmons, Freeman, and Gattis while we're at it.

At this point I wish we hadn't committed to Markakis.

Oh, and no point in keeping Kimbrel now either. Why have a closer if we never make it to the 9th?
    Saving for the future. Same reason we didn't pitch him 2 innings in an elimination playoff game. Always gotta look at the big picture in play here. I mean, what if we get past the Dodgers and win the World Series, and then Kimbrel is never the same...we'd be terrible in 2014...oh wait. snap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    BenBadler
    Good chance the 2016 draft pick the Padres can get when Justin Upton leaves ends up better than any of the prospects they traded to Atlanta

Ouch. We got a bunch of spare parts.
    I saw this Badler quote too and I think it's being misinterpreted. Let's assume for a moment that Max Fried's value is slightly less than the #30 pick in the June 2016 draft (I think Fried is a little more valuable than that, but I digress). Fried + J Peterson + D Peterson + Smith is DEFINITELY more valuable than the #30 pick in the June 2016 draft. It's not even debatable. Zero MLB front offices would trade Fried + J Peterson + D Peterson + Smith for that sandwich pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Ah. I understand. You have to admit, this is a disappointing haul after speculating that Hart was masterfully playing the field to get max value out of Justin. And that's on top of the overall confusion regarding the Mukaki Rebuild. We still have EVERY problematic player, our cuntrod manager, and we've lost our best offensive player and our player with the most potential. This has every chance of spiraling into a decade of frustration.
    Its not what I woul dhave liked to happen but both of those guys were not going to re-sign here. Thats just the reality of the ****ty situation Wren put this organization in.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Its a huge jump to expect him to be a TOR as it is as he's in A ball (and has control issues). THis is what Sickels has said:

3) Max Fried, LHP, Grade B+: Ultra-projectable lefty already throws in the 90s with good mechanics and promising curveball/changeup secondaries. Command needs some tightening but overall pitching aptitude looks good. Future number two starter if the universe unfolds as planned.

There are many pitchers in the minors that project to be TOR starters and only a small amount end up actually becoming that. Just adding the surgery makes it even less likely (to what degree is unknown, I think) but its certainly less possible as he misses a whole year.
    I qualified my statement by saying potential. His ceiling has been labeled #2 by most talent evaluators. That's TOR enough for me.

Assuming* he comes back normal, what makes it extremely unlikely he doesn't reach that potential?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    A very underwhelming deal. Obviously high hopes for Fried and Dustin, not as much for the other 2.

In a deal with the padres, Renfroe would have been a requirement with Fried.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I don't agree with Peterson at all.
    Well, again, you are wrong. Peterson was #7 in the 6th best system coming into the year, and he had a good year in AAA. If you think you are getting something significantly better than that in the supplemental round, then you are nutty.

For example, the Royals were ranked #8 last year and took Chase Vallot in the supplemental round. He didn't even make their top ten. Do you know where Jace Peterson was drafted? I'll give you one guess. TIME'S UP. It was the first round, supplemental. And he's succeeded at every level since being drafted.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-19-2014), NYCBrave (12-19-2014), rico43 (12-19-2014), Tapate50 (12-19-2014), thethe (12-19-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    The system that they have rebuilt didn't fail much at the mionr league level for 20 years.
    And they are also stuck in the mindset that we must horde pitching at all costs when the reality is that baseball if flush with pitching. Decent pitchers are all over the place What is hard to come by are legit hitters. It's a good thing we have traded good hitters away and not getting any back. And the guys we did get back project as role players and not studs to build around.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Can we please trade Kimbrel before he gets hurt?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I saw this Badler quote too and I think it's being misinterpreted. Let's assume for a moment that Max Fried's value is slightly less than the #30 pick in the June 2016 draft (I think Fried is a little more valuable than that, but I digress). Fried + J Peterson + D Peterson + Smith is DEFINITELY more valuable than the #30 pick in the June 2016 draft. It's not even debatable. Zero MLB front offices would trade Fried + J Peterson + D Peterson + Smith for that sandwich pick.
    Quantity vs quality. The Braves are barren of minor league depth and they wanted to fill it back up as quickly as possible. I think that is the wrong approach. They should have targeted players with high upside that could make a major impact. None of these guys do this unless they hit their 1% ceiling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    well, there are 2 of us
    Badler is BA's token internet stathead dickhead. He does good international reporting, but he is the most worthless of BA reporters.

I guarantee you John Manuel or Jim Callis (though he's left BA) would never say something this pointless.
    Last edited by Metaphysicist; 12-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Now we're hearing Padres are flipping Hanigan to Red Sox for WIll Middlebrooks. Crazy day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Its not what I woul dhave liked to happen but both of those guys were not going to re-sign here. Thats just the reality of the ****ty situation Wren put this organization in.
    I call bull**** on blaming all of this on Wren. If NOTHING ELSE, the team kept him as GM while he ran off Cox and all the quality scouts. Everyone involved in the decision to keep him have just as much blame.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (12-19-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Quantity vs quality. The Braves are barren of minor league depth and they wanted to fill it back up as quickly as possible. I think that is the wrong approach. They should have targeted players with high upside that could make a major impact. None of these guys do this unless they hit their 1% ceiling.
    A lot of assumptions here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    All this time setting it all up and Renfroe or Liriano weren't part of the return? There isn't a single healthy prospect with impact potential in the entire package.

This is absolutely terrible. Now the Braves will suck in 2015 and STILL suck once these guys are ready to "contribute".

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Elaborate on the second part. Is it due to lost time? Lost stuff? I would think becoming what he was before and what his previous potential would go hand in hand.
    Which statement counts as the second part? The TOR potential being lower? That's just the natural consequence of being an A-ball pitcher with control problems. There is a loooooong way between those guys and acedom, and the vast majority of them don't make it. Tacking on the 20% chance he doesn't even make it back to his original abilities only makes it worse.