Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 5/24/15 Brewers @ Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,031 Posts
    Folty reminds me of Scherzer as a prospect. Everyone knew he had the velocity and he was never ranked very high in the prospect rankings... But he always had that potential to be absolutely dominant if he could develop and control his secondary stuff. Now he does and now he's a stud. They are VERY similar prospect wise. And no I am not saying he will be another Scherzer even though I'm sure someone will quote me as saying that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,031 Posts
    Folty was ranked like 49 nationally and I think Scherzer was only ranked in the 60s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If we were talking about Shelby Miller I'd agree, but I am not seeing that potential with Folty so far. He did look better today but he was facing a bad team without two of their best hitters too. I am not ruling out him improving or anything like that. However, I am very much disagreeing with talking about him as if he's better than Alex Wood or any of our top three starters for that matter.
    Is anyone is saying that he is better than any of them currently? In terms of overall value I think its much closer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Folty reminds me of Scherzer as a prospect. Everyone knew he had the velocity and he was never ranked very high in the prospect rankings... But he always had that potential to be absolutely dominant if he could develop and control his secondary stuff. Now he does and now he's a stud. They are VERY similar prospect wise. And yes I am saying I have reason to believe he will be another Scherzer.
    Better than Scherzer, you say?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (05-24-2015), thethe (05-24-2015), UNCBlue012 (05-25-2015), zbhargrove (05-24-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Is anyone is saying that he is better than any of them currently? In terms of overall value I think its much closer.
    I, for one, think Folty has a higher ceiling than anybody else in our system, either in the minors or on the major league team. Miller included.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,875 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-24-2015), thethe (05-24-2015), UNCBlue012 (05-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't trade any of these young pitchers yet. I do not yet believe that the Braves are at a point where pitching is a system strength for them. At least not like it used to be. Before I trade anyone, I want to make sure we have 7-8 guys that could legitimately make the starting rotation AND be effective. This means, I have to see more out of Matt Wisler and Tyrell Jenkins before I trade Folty, Miller, or Wood. Mike Minor is damaged goods right now, so you might as well see what you have in him when he comes back.

IMO, the Braves need to get back to the point where they had several pitchers who were considered to be elite pitching prospects in the minors and then use those prospects as a means to get the position players needed. This is why my focus in the up coming draft would largely be on pitching. I'd take Tyler Stephenson at 14 if he is there and then go heavy with high school/JUCO pitching prospects.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-24-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I, for one, think Folty has a higher ceiling than anybody else in our system, either in the minors or on the major league team. Miller included.
    Explain this one? This isn't only about velocity, but command, etc. He's got a high ceiling because of an explosive fastball. As a pitcher, he's not in the same stratosphere as Miller although he could get there. I'd venture to say, he's not got the highest ceiling (Opinion, yes). But we shall see I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Better than Scherzer, you say?
    Lol I did enjoy this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,066 Posts
    The Over .500 Baby

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (05-25-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I would take three top of the rotations starters anytime . They will be better next year.

Miller
    Foltz
    Teheran potentially could be very very good.

Mill and Foltz can bring it consistently at 95 to 96 with devastating secondary pitches, that is ace potential.....like Smoltz

Teheran is of the Glavine mode, even though he could hit 95, but he doesn't so he tries to out think you, but that at times can be bad.

Wood is like Avery to me, good pitches, don't think much, would let you hit his pitches when offer and hope the defense works.

Minor an enigma, Shame Reynolds at times, pitch good and then crap. We haven't had lefties who strike out a lot of people since Spahn but I am not that damn old.

Stults and Cahill are like the Lockhart of yore, management won't release garbage veterans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    This rotation has the potential to be among the top 5 in baseball. I'd love to see if Perez can contribute but eventually that spot is going to be filled by a high end pitching prospects (Wisler/Banuelos/Jenkins).

2016 is shaping up to be a really interesting season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This rotation has the potential to be among the top 5 in baseball. I'd love to see if Perez can contribute but eventually that spot is going to be filled by a high end pitching prospects (Wisler/Banuelos/Jenkins).

2016 is shaping up to be a really interesting season.
    Hope that is right. I just don't see the braves doing it. They always seem to want to have a retread in the rotation.

I still think we look for major trade in the off season. I think we'll trade Wood or one of Folty/Wisler. But if not, then you want that 5th spot to be filled by Wisler so he's not a rookie and not on as much of an innings limitation in the magical 2017.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Folty is not similar to Scherzer at all. Scherzer dominated the minors. He is more like Eovaldi and Richards, hard throwers who lacked refinement. Richards developee further, Eovaldi has not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Hope that is right. I just don't see the braves doing it. They always seem to want to have a retread in the rotation.

I still think we look for major trade in the off season. I think we'll trade Wood or one of Folty/Wisler. But if not, then you want that 5th spot to be filled by Wisler so he's not a rookie and not on as much of an innings limitation in the magical 2017.
    With the arms in stock right now the only type of pitcher I see them bringing in is an ace. I don't see any end of rotation pitchers being signed when we have that production and more and league min.
    Natural Immunity Croc

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,133 Posts
    I'm with you thethe. I see them bringing in an ace if anything and using a pitcher for a controllable lf'er. Braun and Marte are 2 examples. 1 depends on money being eaten

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

There's no need for a retread when they arent better than Wisler, Manny, Sims, among others.

The only SP i could see them sign is if they got in on one of the aces in FA, and traded Wood in a package deal for a bat.

Signing a Stults, Wandy, Cahill type retread makes no sense especially given those are cheaper.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Exciting time to a Braves fan, things are looking and working out better than I even imagined. Only thing I wish was that Minor was healthy because 1) I really like him and he could help us now, and 2) I think a healthy productive Minor would have netted us a nice return in June or July from a contending team in need of another starter and I believe this was the plan all along, oh well.

Still think we will be a major player for Price or Grienke, and trade from our surplus of pitching to fill other areas of needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Exciting time to a Braves fan, things are looking and working out better than I even imagined. Only thing I wish was that Minor was healthy because 1) I really like him and he could help us now, and 2) I think a healthy productive Minor would have netted us a nice return in June or July from a contending team in need of another starter and I believe this was the plan all along, oh well.

Still think we will be a major player for Price or Grienke, and trade from our surplus of pitching to fill other areas of needs.
    I agree with you. A lot of people don't seem to think so. But, I see some of our new arms worked into the rotation, traded or sent to the BP. But I think one of those two could be holding it down next year.