Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT 8/23: Charlie and the boys throw it one last time again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    While my Facebook timeline is melting down over a false report that COVID mandates are returning, I'm just trying to decide how I'll manage to stay awake for tonight's West Coast Braves game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Snit got an A+ grade for tactics in the 2021 playoffs from Fangraphs IIRC. Whether that was AA micromanaging Snit is beside the point, I think he did a pretty good job.
    This is a perfect example of how they can mitigate Snit's weakness, and many folks in our threads commented there was no way Snit was pulling these strings by himself.

Should that happen in the regular season? Why not? There are ~10 most likely scenarios where an important decision needs to be made in any game, and all those moves should be calculated in an automated fashion ahead of time, and the script given to Snit while he does whatever dinosaurs do before the game. I'm sure he can take a few minutes out of his standing around time.

A very simple table with pitch count and batting order position to tell him when to pull the SP. A very simple table with lineup position and leverage index to tell him which BP arm to use, keeping in mind who is on the bench so he doesn't get surprised when Joc PHs. Very basic game prep materials like that, which aren't much different than the cards each OFer has tucked in their gloves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Back when I looked into the Braves open analytics positions, their internal tool was called something like Tomahawk. It was almost laughable from a tech stack perspective, but there's no reason that system, or it's modern equivalent, can't calculate the expected Win Probability Added for every single move Snit could make in every single game state. He could then reference that whenever he had to make a decision.

Program says using Minter is the #1 option, but Snit knows Minter is sick? Move to the #2 option on the list.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,351 Posts
    Ozzie's not in the lineup tonight.