Thread: Simmons signed to 7 year extension

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Sounds like everyone giving the deal the thumbs up from the Braves' prospective.
    Given the insane inflation in contracts these days, it's pretty much a steal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Simmons and Peraza the future SS/2B double play combo for the Braves?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Simmons and Peraza the future SS/2B double play combo for the Braves?
    Good chance. Depends on whether La Stella or Pastornicky can hold down second.

With his speed and arm, Peraza can play a lot of different positions.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,828 Posts
    Still can't figure out why people think Pastornicky can ever be a productive starter

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    How much am I smiling about this one?

Yeah, that's about right.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-21-2014), Hawk (02-22-2014)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Still can't figure out why people think Pastornicky can ever be a productive starter
    I don't think it will happen here because of La Stella and Peraza but I do think Pastornicky could become a solid everyday 2B.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Love this contract.

Cost certainty.

His D helps us in regards to signing (draft, FA, etc) pitchers and 3rd baseman. With Simmons we can afford to go for a little more bat over D at 3B. Also a little more bat over arm in LF and CF.

I hope that getting paid means that he won't try too hard for the traditional hit stats to make money (HR). We need some high OBP guys. I'd love to see him walk more and hit for avg over power.

This has got to help us in the international market (Tehran too). Shows if you pick the braves and perform that they'll pay you and pay you early.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I don't think it will happen here because of La Stella and Peraza but I do think Pastornicky could become a solid everyday 2B.
    Agreed. I'm not crazy about Rev's defense but I think he will hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    Agreed. I'm not crazy about Rev's defense but I think he will hit.
    If he hits he could be a better option at second than La Stella in the future. Pastornicky's defense is only a problem at short (and much of that is due to his arm). He actually has been good defensively at second, he should have a positive DRS there (and does so far at 1 DRS in only 43 Major league innings). He has played a lot more of second in the minors and I liked what I saw. I've never liked him at short though, he is a really bad shortstop. He doesn't really have the arm for short, IMO. Further, La Stella should hit in the Majors but I doubt he's even as good at second defensively as Pastornicky.

That said, I expect Peraza to be better than both once he's ready. Peraza and Simmons should make a great double play combo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If he hits he could be a better option at second than La Stella in the future. Pastornicky's defense is only a problem at short (and much of that is due to his arm). He actually has been good defensively at second, he should have a positive DRS there (and does so far at 1 DRS in only 43 Major league innings). He has played a lot more of second in the minors and I liked what I saw. I've never liked him at short though, he is a really bad shortstop. He doesn't really have the arm for short, IMO. Further, La Stella should hit in the Majors but I doubt he's even as good at second defensively as Pastornicky.

That said, I expect Peraza to be better than both once he's ready. Peraza and Simmons should make a great double play combo.
    I don't know anything about Peraza. But I wish like hell TLS was the Braves opening day 2nd baseman this year.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,471 Posts
    I don't know anything about Peraza. But I wish like hell TLS was the Braves opening day 2nd baseman this year.
    Peraza is highly toolsy. That said, he's gonna be 20 and has some offensive potential. Really skill set similar to Simmons. Great defense. Doesn't walk much and Ks at a pretty low rate. His power isn't there but yuo can hope it develpps.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    I'm starting to get the impression the FO isn't nearly as high on TLS as some here are. I'd love to see him make the club out of spring but i doubt it. He destined for Gwinnett if not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'm starting to get the impression the FO isn't nearly as high on TLS as some here are. I'd love to see him make the club out of spring but i doubt it. He destined for Gwinnett if not?
    I would figure they would start him out at Gwinnett. He's got nothing left to prove at Mississippi.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Most of the people unabashedly high on LaStella will reluctantly admit to never having seen him play, which is a thought worth pondering.

I think LaStella's position within the organization is parallel to what Mark DeRosa's was ... he's at the top of the pecking order but is probably only going to get a shot (this season) if there's an injury or demotion. That's not a reflection of his talent, but rather the way the organization has traditionally handled players that are in the same type of flux as TLS.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (02-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Most of the people unabashedly high on LaStella will reluctantly admit to never having seen him play, which is a thought worth pondering.

I think LaStella's position within the organization is parallel to what Mark DeRosa's was ... he's at the top of the pecking order but is probably only going to get a shot (this season) if there's an injury or demotion. That's not a reflection of his talent, but the way the organization has traditionally handled players that are in the same type of flux as TLS.
    I've seen him play. More than once as well.

The thing with Tommy is that he's not gonna blow anyone away with any particular skillset. I think Chris Johnson is similar, except TLS has a way better eye which is why he walks more and Ks less.

Because he doesn't have anything that pops, like power, speed or glove, the Braves are content to see if they have anything with Uggla. Uggla has insane power if he starts hitting again the Braves have a great 2B. They're gonna rule that out before bringing up TLS. TLS has no rush to get to the majors in all honesty.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    TLS has no rush to get to the majors in all honesty.
    Well, LaStella is not exactly a spring chicken -- especially if he spends another full season at AAA while the Braves give Uggla a few more spins in the wheel. Plus, what more does he really have to prove in the minors, except perhaps becoming a better defender (some say he's adequate enough as it is -- I haven't seen him play regularly in a year).

If the Braves are indeed players for Aledmys Diaz I think we have a strong indication on how the organization intends on utilizing TLS.

The whole situation is unfortunate, because I think he's got more by the way of skills than Pastornicky had when Atlanta handed him a middle-infield position a few years ago.
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-24-2014 at 10:35 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,471 Posts
    Well, LaStella is not exactly a spring chicken -- especially if he spends another full season at AAA while the Braves give Uggla a few more spins in the wheel. Plus, what more does he really have to prove in the minors, except perhaps becoming a better defender (some say he's adequate enough as it is -- I haven't seen him play regularly in a year).

If the Braves are indeed players for Aledmys Diaz I think we have a strong indication on how the organization intends on utilizing TLS.

The whole situation is unfortunate, because I think he's got more by the way of skills than Pastornicky had when Atlanta handed him a middle-infield position a few years ago.
    He's not young, but he has all kinds of service time before being needed on the 40 so being patient with our 2B options can let us sort out who to get rid of.

Uggla hits then we won't need to worry about TLS. If he doesn't we have TLS ready to step in.

Also as far as Diaz, I see him as more of a replacement for Johnson. I think Peraza is our long term 2B. Even if Diaz starts at 2B in 2014 I think he's long termed to 3B. JMO. Though I think if we sign him he'll spend the year in AAA bulking up and learning 3B. Speculation on my behalf of course, but considering the report on him is basically "raw" I doubt he starts the year in the majors or even sees the majors before July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts

I had this thought as well. Or even just a back up back up plan...
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Interesting. ZiPS projections for Dan Uggla:

.218/.321/.407/.728, 104 wRC+, 23 HR with 560 plate appearances.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Interesting. ZiPS projections for Dan Uggla:

.218/.321/.407/.728, 104 wRC+, 23 HR with 560 plate appearances.
    That would be great for a 2B. Now if he can get that I would be ecstatic.