Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889
Results 1,761 to 1,763 of 1763

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I disagree that Duel of the Fates was that great. It's score is amazing. It's one of the best scores in Star Wars for sure and probably the best that's not like a general theme (Main Theme, Imperial March, the Force theme, etc.) but the scene itself kind of is terribly paced and written and for all the **** the "experts" give the fight Choreography of the throne scene in TLJ, like there's just so many things that don't make sense. I'm ignoring the things that were silly like maul doing the cartwheel flip or whatever you want to call that for literally no reason.

It also flies in the face of reason that Qui Gon Jinn would have been as agressive as he was considering all the teachings of the jedi we were told. Even with the Sith threat, it flies in the face of jedi teachings to not just protect and defend but to agressively attack to the point that you leave your padawan alone.
    The score contributes hugely to how epic the Duel of the Fates is. You also have one of the cooler looking villains in Darth Maul, the introduction of the lightsaber bo staff, and the first time they were really able to do elaborate, high speed choreography for a lightsaber fight.

As for Qui-Gon's aggression, he did use an aggressive form of lightsaber combat and was also something of a maverick. He didn't fall in line with all of the teachings of the Jedi. Then there's the fact that his master was Count Dooku. So some aggression shouldn't be surprising, he just would never give himself over to it. I also think he felt a need to protect Obi-Wan in the fight. I don't see it as him leaving his padawan alone. I see it as Qui-Gon trying to keep Obi-Wan away from danger and end the threat himself.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    I don't want to put if off as bad, It's far and away the best part of TPM. Only part really worth watching IMO.

But that being said, my gripe isn't even the quality ofthe film. It's higher quality than AotC, but this really does nothing to serve the plot that couldn't be done with 1 or 2 lines of dialogue.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I don't want to put if off as bad, It's far and away the best part of TPM. Only part really worth watching IMO.

But that being said, my gripe isn't even the quality ofthe film. It's higher quality than AotC, but this really does nothing to serve the plot that couldn't be done with 1 or 2 lines of dialogue.
    That's true. There's a lot in that movie that did nothing to further the overarching plot of the saga. All the stuff with Naboo, the Gungans, the dispute with the Trade Federation, most of what happened on Tattoine, and all the development of Qui-Gon and Maul, all of it was basically meaningless as far as the larger story goes.

All the wasted time is especially egregious when you think of all the things that weren't given near enough time in the next two movies. Anakin wasn't showcased enough being likable so you felt nothing when he turned, there wasn't nearly enough put into exploring why he fell and the process of his turn to the dark side, the whole war with the separatists was poorly explained, how the Clone Army came into being was glossed over, etc. They left so many gaps in the story that it took the Clone Wars show to make things make sense.