Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 5/29/15: GDT - Atlanta Braves @ SF Giants (Folty vs Huddy)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I like this plan. The only problem is that even if Lucroy was available (and he's not), there is absolutely no way in the world the Brewers would trade him for Wood straight-up. It would have to be something like Wood, Folty, and another good prospect, at least. I'm not kidding. We got Folty and Ruiz for Evan Gattis, and Lucroy's value is light years ahead of Gattis'.

I would sign Weiters and Beltre, a decent SP, and try to trade something for the OF bat. Then call up Peraza to play 2B, have Peterson be the super utility who can fill in anywhere, and go with Maybin in CF with the possibility of Mallex Smith coming up at some point.

Then you have, say, a rotation of Miller/Teheran/Folty/Kazmir/(Wisler or Banuelos), and your bullpen could have Simmons, Vizcaino, Winkler, and Withrow, and possibly Hursh, which is a good start. You could even keep Grilli around rather than trading him.

That has the makings of a pretty good team.

Lineup:
    Peraza
    Maybin/Markakis
    Wieters
    Freeman
    Beltre
    OF
    Markakis/Maybin
    Simmons

Bench:
    Peterson
    Eury Perez
    Bethancourt
    Cunningham/Terdoslavich
    Chris Johnson

Rotation:
    Miller
    Teheran
    Kazmir
    Folty
    Wisler

Bullpen:
    Grilli
    Simmons
    Vizcaino
    Banuelos
    Avilan
    Withrow
    Winkler

ETA: Nevermind, Beltre isn't a FA after this year. Maybe you sign Gordon Beckham if he keeps this up, I don't like Freese. Or maybe you sign an OF like Cespedes and trade pitching for the 3B.

I would like to sign Wieters, though. That is a far easier task than pulling off a trade for somebody like Lucroy.
    I dont think it costs Wood AND Folty for Lucroy, he only has 2 years of control although you'd figure if they trade for him they add some more years to his deal.

I didnt say Wood straight up, him and 2-3 others, but i would look to use some of the pitching and add a bat even if not for Lucroy.

I do like Wieters but depends if we have a top 10 pick or not.

3B is a terrible spot league-wide aint much there. Aramis would be a decent 1-yr fix.

Next years team could be quite good depending on the moves made, lot of pieces could be up with the team next year.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It's funny how people are still forgetting about him. I would love signing him. He is going to age well.
    Some people here still talk about him but im not sure we get in on the aces unless we deal one of the top 4 for a bat.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Aramis would be a decent 1-yr fix.
    He is retiring at the end of this season.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-30-2015), jpx7 (05-30-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    He is retiring at the end of this season.
    Scratch that plan, just go with Jace/Peraza at 2B/3B then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Scratch that plan, just go with Jace/Peraza at 2B/3B then.
    I just don't think this is a realistic option if we're really trying to compete. An ok OBP with no power is ok at 2B with good defense, but not at 3B.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-30-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,330 Posts
    I just don't think this is a realistic option if we're really trying to compete. An ok OBP with no power is ok at 2B with good defense, but not at 3B.
    I still can't figure out why people are against Jace being a utility player. It would be nice, for once, to have a reliable bench player instead of the Brooks Conrad's, Pedro Ciriaco's, etc. of the world.

If his bat ever takes the next step then maybe we can see if there is a place we can play him full time.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    I still can't figure out why people are against Jace being a utility player. It would be nice, for once, to have a reliable bench player instead of the Brooks Conrad's, Pedro Ciriaco's, etc. of the world.

If his bat ever takes the next step then maybe we can see if there is a place we can play him full time.
    I agree with both these sentiments—with the caveat that I don't think Peraza should be up this season, especially if it'll just be to displace Peterson at 2B. I think the Braves should give him 2015 to see if his bat can stick; and if seem it cannot, then he's at least accrued a season's worth of major-league PA, which will serve him well as a super-utility piece.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I agree with both these sentiments—with the caveat that I don't think Peraza should be up this season, especially if it'll just be to displace Peterson at 2B. I think the Braves should give him 2015 to see if his bat can stick; and if seem it cannot, then he's at least accrued a season's worth of major-league PA, which will serve him well as a super-utility piece.
    I think it would probably be at 3B or CF and move Markakis to LF, Maybin to RF if they move up Peraza.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    As much as the fan inside of me disagrees (Folty! Peraza! Wisler!), it's hard to argue against anything that you just said.

In fact, the best case scenario is that Williams Perez, Jace, Cunningham, Cunnif, etc. all emerge this year as viable big leaguers that we can use as trade assets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    I think it would probably be at 3B or CF and move Markakis to LF, Maybin to RF if they move up Peraza.
    Providing Peterson a season's worth of PAs is only one reason I think it doesn't make sense to bring up Peraza in 2015; Peraza's own development is an even bigger one.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,284 Posts
    I liked Conrad.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-30-2015), thethe (05-30-2015), UNCBlue012 (05-30-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    What are the other options then?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I liked Conrad.
    Brooks had a stick. I'd take him in the bench versus what we've rolled with for the last couple of years.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I liked Conrad.
    I'll never forgive him (irrespective of the mitigating circumstances).

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

I'd have no problem with him being a super sub as long as he plays 5-6 nights a week. But you start moving him to a different position every night you may damage him. He's just too good right now. Make Parazza earn that job, if he can't trade him. Just because Prado could play everywhere doesn't mean Peterson will be able to. Give him a position and turn him loose.