Page 98 of 209 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think we are definitely going to be trading Gonzalez, and probably Iglesias too. We're up against the 2nd Luxury tax level and I doubt AA has the clearance to go much (if any) over that. For that reason, here is a couple of ideas I have floated around.

Option 1: Raisel Iglesias, Bryce Elder, Vaughn Grissom, Marco Gonzalez and cash to the Rays for Tyler Glasnow and filler. Money is basically a wash this year. Maybe we eat a little of Iglesias's contract in 2025 as well. May have to swap AJSS for Elder. It's hard to peg Glasnow's price given his injury history so this is just spit-balling

Option 2: Marco Gonzalez, Raisel Iglesias and around 8 million in cash to the Orioles for whatever we can get. This is a complete salary dump for us but gives the O's a good closer to replace Bautista and a back end starter for around 20 million total for 2024. We use the freed up money to either sign a pitcher like Stroman/E-Rod, or we trade for Glasnow/Burnes/Cease/etc.
    I hate Option 1 (especially if it includes Smith-Shawver). Option 2 isn’t really an option, given there’s no target from the Orioles.

Generally, I don’t think the team is planning on, or particularly interested in, trading Iglesias.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Who is the favorite for the Japanese pitcher?
    Which one. Two prominent NPB starters have been posted.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    I don't think Iglesias is necessarily irreplaceable, but I don't agree with trading him from what's a strength on the team. Because then what happens? Things haven't always gone well for Minter as closer. Don't know that I'd trust Johnson or Jimenez or Bummer and what about the plan to have Lopez be a multi-inning guy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I love AA, but my concern is his contract appears to be up after next season and we haven't heard anything about an extension. It's likely nothing and will get worked out, but can't help but think of the way he walked away from the Blue Jays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I love AA, but my concern is his contract appears to be up after next season and we haven't heard anything about an extension. It's likely nothing and will get worked out, but can't help but think of the way he walked away from the Blue Jays.
    He did an interview in February where he said he wont find a better job than the one he's in and plans to be here as long as the Braves will have him. Of course that could change but all indications are he's extremely happy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (12-05-2023)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts
    In the end, it's all about $$$$$$$$

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Kirby Yates to the Rangers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Hopefully Ohtani signs soon so things can get moving.
    Yeah, this is always the worst part of the offseason. Everyone waiting for 1-2 guys to sign so the rest of the dominoes can fall.

The only thing more annoying than waiting on 1 guy is the constant nonsense about which teams are “still engaged” and the always famous “mystery team”.

We get it, you’re special. Just sign the damn contact already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Respect for Dave Roberts for cutting through that bull**** and just saying, "Yeah we met with him." He can turn down all that money if he wants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    I'd be shocked if Ohtani goes anywhere but to the Dodgers. They can offer top money, a good chance for a ring, and they're in the same general city where he already plays. It makes too much sense.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'd be shocked if Ohtani goes anywhere but to the Dodgers. They can offer top money, a good chance for a ring, and they're in the same general city where he already plays. It makes too much sense.
    He should demand that the team change its name to the Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-05-2023), The Chosen One (12-05-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yeah, this is always the worst part of the offseason. Everyone waiting for 1-2 guys to sign so the rest of the dominoes can fall.

The only thing more annoying than waiting on 1 guy is the constant nonsense about which teams are “still engaged” and the always famous “mystery team”.

We get it, you’re special. Just sign the damn contact already.
    I think the only two rumor mongers who are worth their salt is Passan and Rosenthal. All the others tend to bounce around publication to publication, so the incentive to report “what they heard” for views is much higher. Heyman will break news but he’s guiltier than most at reporting the obvious and listing as many obvious teams as possible so that the fans of those teams click the link to read a rumor that doesn’t mean anything.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think the only two rumor mongers who are worth their salt is Passan and Rosenthal. All the others tend to bounce around publication to publication, so the incentive to report “what they heard” for views is much higher. Heyman will break news but he’s guiltier than most at reporting the obvious and listing as many obvious teams as possible so that the fans of those teams click the link to read a rumor that doesn’t mean anything.
    Passan will always be a bitch for telling players not to take the CBA deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Passan will always be a bitch for telling players not to take the CBA deal.
    He’s a weird guy. The try hard hipster, cool kid vibe he gives off in interviews comes across so awkward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,750 Posts
    I dont follow baseball like I used to but I am looking at the Orioles on fangraphs and wondering how they won 100 games. Or how they finished within 20 games of the Braves for that matter. Exactly 3 players with over 3 WAR on the whole roster. Not a single 30 HR hitter. Top 3 are 28, 28, and 20 HR. Matt Olson almost hit more HR than their top 2 guys. Only 2 position players had an OBP above .328. Their catcher and then an outfielder with less than 250 at bats. Orlando Arcia would have been tied for their 3rd best position player based on WAR. They had no really great defensive player. Their best was their catcher and he wasnt close to as good as Murphy defensively. No batter hit .290 or better. No player had better than a .489 slugging %. You would think they had great pitching then. They had 1 sub 3 ERA SP and the next best was 3.98 ERA in only 20 starts. Everyone else between 4 an 5 ERA. They did have 3 very good RP and overall had the second best pen but their 3.55 ERA was still only marginally better than the Braves 3.81 out of the pen. They look like an 85 win team to me.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont follow baseball like I used to but I am looking at the Orioles on fangraphs and wondering how they won 100 games. Or how they finished within 20 games of the Braves for that matter. Exactly 3 players with over 3 WAR on the whole roster. Not a single 30 HR hitter. Top 3 are 28, 28, and 20 HR. Matt Olson almost hit more HR than their top 2 guys. Only 2 position players had an OBP above .328. Their catcher and then an outfielder with less than 250 at bats. Orlando Arcia would have been tied for their 3rd best position player based on WAR. They had no really great defensive player. Their best was their catcher and he wasnt close to as good as Murphy defensively. No batter hit .290 or better. No player had better than a .489 slugging %. You would think they had great pitching then. They had 1 sub 3 ERA SP and the next best was 3.98 ERA in only 20 starts. Everyone else between 4 an 5 ERA. They did have 3 very good RP and overall had the second best pen but their 3.55 ERA was still only marginally better than the Braves 3.81 out of the pen. They look like an 85 win team to me.
    The answer is luck. Here is their 2nd and 3rd order win percentages: https://claydavenport.com/stats/standings.html

~90 wins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Speaking of the Orioles, saw a photo surface on Twitter of AA talking with their GM in the hallway. Guess we should start a rumor.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    You were looking at the wrong site.

Baseball ref tells you all you need to know. They had a pythag w-l of 94-68. Went 30-16 in 1 run games. A good team that got lucky in 1 run games.

But to break things down among the AL teams.

4th in FIP (1st in bullpen FIP)

5th in combined WRC+ and BSR

11th in UZR

They were a good team that got a little lucky. What I've seen a lot is that teams with great pens (which the O's had) will usually perform better in 1 run games. So while that seems lucky it is earned to a degree.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Rosenthal reminds me of Gammons without the Red Sox bias. Seems to be really plugged in.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    They remind me of the early-90s Braves in that they are totally stacked with prospects. Their pitching isn't as great as those Braves' teams, but they have a ton of young hitters already in the bigs and Holliday, Cowser, Norby, and Mayo on the way. One guy I would like the Braves to take a look at is Joey Ortiz. He's a middle infielder who is totally blocked and has had a lot of success in the minors.