Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uggla To Continue to See Less Time at 2B - Release Considered

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Actually, the little bit of Rev I've seen, I like a lot. He went to right last week when I caught an at bat, and getting the suicide down tonight was simply awesome. Need more of that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Actually, the little bit of Rev I've seen, I like a lot. He went to right last week when I caught an at bat, and getting the suicide down tonight was simply awesome. Need more of that.
    I like him too and I have followed him since his days in Toronto. I was just saying anyone should be cold and a bit rusty given how little he's played. I haven't liked how little Fredi has used him, etc. But hopefully he will finally get a real shot and play a lot this week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-12-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Those of you who still hold out hope for Uggla are just adorable. Really.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

njc108 (05-11-2014), nsacpi (05-11-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The only option to trade Uggla is probably in exchange for another bad contract. Are there any bad relievers out there with expensive contracts? I'd much rather see ugglas money going towards a bp arm and give the braves staff a chance to turn him around.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I cant think of a reliever with a contract that bad. Also, it is pretty easy for a team to hide a bad reliever at the bottom of the BP staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    He has never been given a chance. he had a solid track record as a minor leaguer (all the while being young for his league). I hope he gets an extended look now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-12-2014), JohnAdcox (05-12-2014)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He has never been given a chance. he had a solid track record as a minor leaguer (all the while being young for his league). I hope he gets an extended look now.
    Me, too.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I cant think of a reliever with a contract that bad. Also, it is pretty easy for a team to hide a bad reliever at the bottom of the BP staff.
    Papelbon.

If Uggla could play 3B, it would kind of make a little sense. Papelbon has been better this year but certainly not close to worth his contract. But yeah not happening.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I'm a bit Pastor fan. I like Pena, but he's more of a spot-start type of guy. Pastor, I believe has potential to be a very solid second basemen in this league.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I sure hope Pastor gets an extended look and an actual chance to get in a groove. I'm afraid Freddi will continue to yoyo him, Uggla, and Pena around. I hope I'm wrong but I do not have faith Freddi will make the right decisions.

I'm curious about Pastor's defense. How do you guys think he will fair at 2B defensively? I know he struggled at ss but that's a whole different animal. He couldn't be worse than Uggla, but Freddi has taken him out for a defensive sub at least twice (once for freaking uggla!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tomahawkchop10 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkchop10 View Post
    I sure hope Pastor gets an extended look and an actual chance to get in a groove. I'm afraid Freddi will continue to yoyo him, Uggla, and Pena around. I hope I'm wrong but I do not have faith Freddi will make the right decisions.

I'm curious about Pastor's defense. How do you guys think he will fair at 2B defensively? I know he struggled at ss but that's a whole different animal. He couldn't be worse than Uggla, but Freddi has taken him out for a defensive sub at least twice (once for freaking uggla!)
    I have the same concerns and agree with you with regard to Fredi. If Uggla is back in the line-up tonight we'll have our answer. Pastornicky needs to start tonight to give him three games in a row to get into a groove. He really deserved a few hits yesterday despite the rust too.

As far as Pastornicky's defense, I have watched him a lot in the minors and have long seen him as a decent to good second baseman and quite simply a bad shortstop. He just doesn't have the arm for short or really third for that matter. But he does fine at second, not anything special but he will make an occasionally great play (as we saw this spring on some slow grounders he came in on). He also gets to balls at second that Uggla nor La Stella don't get as he like Pena has better range than those two.

As far as Fredi removing him a few times late, I think both were double switches so I don't know that Fredi was thinking about defense there. If he was he is nuts if he thinks Uggla is better defensively than Pastornicky. And IIRC Uggla booted his first chance after coming in at second but thankfully was close enough to the bag to grab the ball and tag the base.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 05-12-2014 at 03:30 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

tomahawkchop10 (05-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I think Fredi is simply looking for someone who will hit a decent amount at second. He will ride the first guy who gets into any sort of hitting groove. The exception being that I don't see him playing Pena against lefties. Tonight I expect to see Pena in there against Lincecum. He's got 2 hits and a walk against him in 9 PA's. Until someone gets hot its going to be mix and match based upon how players have done against the scheduled starting pitcher.

Btw Uggla's had some success against Romo. I wouldn't mind him being used against Romo.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-12-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Fredi is simply looking for someone who will hit a decent amount at second. He will ride the first guy who gets into any sort of hitting groove. The exception being that I don't see him playing Pena against lefties. Tonight I expect to see Pena in there against Lincecum. He's got 2 hits and a walk against him in 9 PA's. Until someone gets hot its going to be mix and match based upon how player's have done against the scheduled starting pitcher.
    Problem is its hard to get hot when you aren't getting consistent ABs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tomahawkchop10 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I just can't understand how Uggla hasn't been cut yet. Does Wren really believe that any team will trade for him?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I have the same concerns and agree with you with regard to Fredi. If Uggla is back in the line-up tonight we'll have our answer. Pastornicky needs to start tonight to give him three games in a row to get into a groove. He really deserved a few hits yesterday despite the rust too.

As far as Pastornicky's defense, I have watched him a lot in the minors and have long seen him as a decent to good second baseman and quite simply a bad shortstop. He just doesn't have the arm for short or really third for that matter. But he does fine at second, not anything special but he will make an occasionally great play (as we saw this spring on some slow grounders he came in on). He also gets to balls at second that Uggla nor La Stella don't get as he like Pena has better range than those two.

As far as Fredi removing him a few times late, I think both were double switches so I don't know that Fredi was thinking about defense there. If he was he is nuts if he thinks Uggla is better defensively than Pastornicky. And IIRC Uggla booted his first chance after coming in at second but thankfully was close enough to the bag to grab the ball and tag the base.
    Ya my eye test has basically said the same thing. Slightly above range, avg hands. Which is much better than Uggla. Ya I remember I was about to freak out when he booted that. I believe it was right after Simmons made an error too, so I was already annoyed lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Ya my eye test has basically said the same thing. Slightly above range, avg hands. Which is much better than Uggla. Ya I remember I was about to freak out when he booted that. I believe it was right after Simmons made an error too, so I was already annoyed lol
    Right it was right after Simmons got charged with an error, which was changed correctly to a hit later. I say correctly because how deep Simmons was when the ball got to him and the way the ball scooted on him. I doubt many shortstops make that play but it looks like Simmons should (and he often does) just because he gets to almost everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Problem is its hard to get hot when you aren't getting consistent ABs.
    Pastornicky and Pena are going to be getting 2-3 games a week. It beats sitting on the bench for 10 straight days. It is a great opportunity for both of them and it is up to them to make the most of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pastornicky and Pena are going to be getting 2-3 games a week. It beats sitting on the bench for 10 straight days. It is a great opportunity for both of them and it is up to them to make the most of it.
    If so it's about time but Fredi still shot Pastornicky in the foot by giving him no AB's for so long (and then only a few before recently). That is hard for anyone that barely had a spring training like him and I am surprised how well he's looked despite it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'm rooting for Pastornicky and Pena as much as anyone. But we also have a pretty good option in AAA. They have to seize this opportunity. Otherwise, I'll be ready to give La Stella his turn by early June.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

tomahawkchop10 (05-12-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I just can't understand how Uggla hasn't been cut yet. Does Wren really believe that any team will trade for him?
    The ship has sailed re the trade IMO. Otherwise they'd still be playing him. They're now trying to see what they've got in Pena and Pastor. Unfortunately Fredi is platooning them so Pena is getting most of the starts. Pastor should be getting most of the starts, he's the one with the most potential to actually be an everyday player.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to stpeteirish For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-12-2014)