Thread: Freeman Trade Speculation

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Wow.

I was expecting the typical "you are never going to get that" comments. 2 of the top 31 prospects in baseball? I don't see any way you get a better deal than that unless you can convince the Pirates to include Glasnow and maybe you could (I doubt it) but I would think the Braves would have to include a SP from their side going the other way like Wisler.
    Bell to me is not an impact guy. Should be a solid regular but that's it. No way I trade freeman with his contract to the Pirates if both Glasnow and Meadows aren't coming back

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think trading Freeman makes a ton of sense for this team IF you can get back a good enough return because it allows you to potentially fill 2-3 long term holes AND clear the money that is owed Freeman off the books allowing you to spend that elsewhere. Now, if you were going to move Freeman and pocket the cash, then no, it doesn't make any sense.
    This was my thought with dealing Simmons, too. We could deal him to shore up the weaknesses we had long term at other positions. And then we dealt him for more pitching...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    This was my thought with dealing Simmons, too. We could deal him to shore up the weaknesses we had long term at other positions. And then we dealt him for more pitching...
    We have no long term weaknesses. Our farm system is the deepest in the game. Plus we're going to be drafting very high for the next 3-4 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Trade Freeman now and we will just be looking to trade for a player exactly like Freeman 1 year from now anyways. Why trade him? All the bitching people do about players being inconsistent and not hitting with RISP. Freeman is the new Chipper. Dont Trade. Not. Even. Once.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We have no long term weaknesses. Our farm system is the deepest in the game. Plus we're going to be drafting very high for the next 3-4 years.
    Catcher? Second base? Corner outfield? Those are certainly holes long term in the farm system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Catcher? Second base? Corner outfield? Those are certainly holes long term in the farm system.
    Catcher--Bethancourt, Herbert, Abraham Guttierez, William Contreras, Jonathan Morales

Second--Jace Peterson, Castro, Dykstra, Salazar, Maitan, Cruz

Corner outfield--Olivera, Toscano, Dustin Peterson, Davidson, Lien, Baez, Isranel Wilson--not to mention the center field prospects (Smith, Acuna, Ventura) who could obviously play there plus guys from other positions who could move to corner outfield without too much trouble

Plus of course the very high draft picks we're going to have the next few years.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-15-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Catcher--Bethancourt, Herbert, Abraham Guttierez, Jonathan Morales

Second--Jace Peterson, Castro, Dykstra, Salazar, Maitan, Cruz

Corner outfield--Olivera, Dustin Peterson, Davidson, Lien, Isranel Wilson--not to mention the center field prospects (Smith, Acuna, Ventura) who could obviously play there plus guys from other positions who could move to corner outfield without too much trouble
    I think you're proving my point. We lack impact guys in those spots.

Bethancourt is not an impact player, and the rest of those guys are a long way from us knowing their chances to be real prospects.

Peterson and Castro aren't impact guys, Dykstra and Salazar aren't either, and Maitan is what, 15? Not to mention not even in the organization right now

Olivera is old, Peterson, Davidson, Lien and Wilson still have legitimate questions around them.

We must have different definitions of impact players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts

Bethancourt is not an impact player, and the rest of those guys are a long way from us knowing their chances to be real prospects.

Peterson and Castro aren't impact guys, Dykstra and Salazar aren't either, and Maitan is what, 15? Not to mention not even in the organization right now

Olivera is old, Peterson, Davidson, Lien and Wilson still have legitimate questions around them.

Not all of them will pan out. And some of them are very young and will take some time to arrive at the major league level. But we have the luxury of time. Let them develop. We might have some holes. But we will also end up with more than we need at some positions. It is too early to speculate where the long-term needs might be. Plus a championship team doesn't need an impact player at every position.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The Braves drafted the best high school catcher in the draft. Their Dominican League outfield included three studs. Their GCL outfield had the league home run champion. At second base, we have the young Dykstra and J.J. Franco, both sons of big leaguers, looking pretty darn solid at second. Guess my question is, what is your definition of long-term?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Corner OF we have at least one legit talent in Davidson. Though of course who knows with prospects and how they develop.

We do have issues with depth. We have guys at the positions, but usually it's only one, that's the problem.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The Braves drafted the best high school catcher in the draft. Their Dominican League outfield included three studs. Their GCL outfield had the league home run champion. At second base, we have the young Dykstra and J.J. Franco, both sons of big leaguers, looking pretty darn solid at second. Guess my question is, what is your definition of long-term?
    JJ Franco? Hmmm....I love all Braves prospects but um well....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Corner OF we have at least one legit talent in Davidson. Though of course who knows with prospects and how they develop.

We do have issues with depth. We have guys at the positions, but usually it's only one, that's the problem.
    We have very good outfield prospects but they are very young: Acuna, Isranel Wilson, Ventura.

Maitan and Yepez might end up in the outfield.

We have to take the long view and let them develop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I like Herbert, but the guy had five PA for the GCL team before the meniscus injury. I guess I'm just not sure why that position is all of a sudden in good shape long term because of him. Still tons of questions there.

Sorry, but I don't see a lot of evidence that makes me believe Dykstra will be any type of impact second baseman in the big league level. Decent player, sure, but I'd like some impact bats in this system at some point. Second base is a pretty big hole in the system.

My original post wasn't so much about long term guys as much I was referring to actual difference making hitters in the system. There's just not enough or many of them, and we just traded a great piece in Simmons that could've brought some of them back. Instead, it's more pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

Dustin Peterson most definetly has the chance to be an impact player. In fact, he was having a break out season before the bus crash, hitting near .300 with very good power. Don't sleep on him. He was a 2nd round pick for a reason.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-15-2015 at 10:42 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

rico43 (11-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    JJ Franco? Hmmm....I love all Braves prospects but um well....
    Hurt this past year. Liked very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Deepest farm system in the game....maybe. Certainly not the best. We're lacking true potential impact players at almost every position outside of Newcomb and possibly Fried if healthy.
    Last edited by emk418; 11-15-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Pitching depth gives the Braves the keys to the kingdom, I feel. Not all of them will work out. The odds stack heavily that some will.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Deepest farm system in the game....maybe. Certainly not the best. We're lacking true potential impact players at almost every position outside of Newcomb and possibly Fried if healthy.
    Newcomb, Olivera and Albies are likely to be top 50 guys when BA releases its list next spring. Not many teams will have 3 guys in the Top 50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Pitching depth gives the Braves the keys to the kingdom, I feel. Not all of them will work out. The odds stack heavily that some will.
    Well we better start to cash in on these pitchers now. Because the longer you wait the more of these guys will get hurt, flame out, or not be effective. Yes pitching is great and valuable but you have to play the percentages and know that we may be looking at one or two guys that make an impact in the majors and 1 or 2 guys hopefully bring back value in a trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I've been on board with the majority of everything, but I can't endorse a Freddie trade unless we are getting A LOT back that will completely feel several holes.