Thread: Guess the penalty

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the effect is more in the time frame when the window closes
    Sure, but I also think this does set back the rebuild in the immediate, too: in a year or two or three these were some of the players the Braves could've afforded trading for now-impact players to bolster a competitive MLB team.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Did we keep Kemp?
    pretty sure we tampered with him, his contract should be voided

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-21-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Did we keep Kemp?
    Another part of the penalty - they just didn't talk about it.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It really is fairly catastrophic. Anthopolous is going to have to draft really well, think outside-the-box (but inside-the-rules), and consider trading established players to bring young talent into the system over the next several years.
    The problem is we don't have that much talent to trade. We could do the extreme re-build that Horsehide Harry has suggested and move Freeman, but a team only gets value back when it's willing buyer-willing seller scenario. If the Braves go full re-build, everyone will know they are a motivated seller and you don't get value back in that instance. To get more than value back, you have to have motivated buyer. I just see a bunch of low-ball offers for Freeman and Inciarte.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    If I am an international big time player, I am signing with the team that gives me a deal early or is bypassing the rules. I will then leak it midway through my first season. What you have to lose?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The problem is we don't have that much talent to trade. We could do the extreme re-build that Horsehide Harry has suggested and move Freeman, but a team only gets value back when it's willing buyer-willing seller scenario. If the Braves go full re-build, everyone will know they are a motivated seller and you don't get value back in that instance. To get more than value back, you have to have motivated buyer. I just see a bunch of low-ball offers for Freeman and Inciarte.
    I agree, that's the likelihood, and posted something in another thread (drawing on a Butler/Bulls analogy)—which is I simply said Anthopoulos will have to "consider" trading such players, contingent on actually getting equal-value or better returns.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If I am an international big time player, I am signing with the team that gives me a deal early or is bypassing the rules. I will then leak it midway through my first season. What you have to lose?
    The fact that MLB probably wont hit another team like this again meaning you've just alienated the organization that holds your rights.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    The fact that several other scouts said most other teams are doing this is why we need either an integrated draft with US born players or a separate international draft. This foolishness needs to stop.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4maddux_cy's For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-21-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    There in lies the rub.

Though I personally think that Freeman should be traded, he deserves a chance to play for a winner. Yankees need a 1B pretty badly if we could get Torres and a few other top prospects that's probably all we can hope for right now. We'll probably see a slight uptick in talent next year and may even contend in the next year and and the year after but might as well blow it up and prepare to be good when Acuna, Albies, etc. are ready. No reason to rush anyone. No veteran pitchers just have young guys who if they do well we trade them.

Not to be the ultimate pessimist but we lost the best asset to bring in young talent. We may not feel this sting for 5-7 years but we'll feel it incredibly hard without going full rebuild.

That or go the other way and guy the farm and make a run. Try to flip the bird at the commissioner and spend big in free agency and then later sell thema ll off and rebuild Marlins style.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Reading that it sounds like Coppolella is done in baseball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I have no idea whether it was a serious offer or not, but the Braves are damn lucky Coppy didn't actually buy Waters that car.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    The fact that several other scouts said most other teams are doing this is why we need either an integrated draft with US born players or a separate international draft. This foolishness needs to stop.

The Braves were scumbags in this, but make no mistake the reason for the harshness of these penalties is that the owners do not want to pay international free agents their true value and are announcing they will stomp on anyone who gets out of line.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    So who wins the guess the penalty contest? Who had "prison gang raped by Bruno the wonder dick and his band of 40?"

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-21-2017), DaneHill (11-21-2017), Garmel (11-21-2017), zedsdead (11-21-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    There in lies the rub.

Though I personally think that Freeman should be traded, he deserves a chance to play for a winner. Yankees need a 1B pretty badly if we could get Torres and a few other top prospects that's probably all we can hope for right now. We'll probably see a slight uptick in talent next year and may even contend in the next year and and the year after but might as well blow it up and prepare to be good when Acuna, Albies, etc. are ready. No reason to rush anyone. No veteran pitchers just have young guys who if they do well we trade them.

Not to be the ultimate pessimist but we lost the best asset to bring in young talent. We may not feel this sting for 5-7 years but we'll feel it incredibly hard without going full rebuild.

That or go the other way and guy the farm and make a run. Try to flip the bird at the commissioner and spend big in free agency and then later sell thema ll off and rebuild Marlins style.
    We couldn't get Torres for Freeman and given Torres' injury issues, maybe that's a good thing.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I can't say I expected it to be this bad. But I expected scorched earth to an extent. We got scorched earth, then salting of the grounds and poisoning of the wells .

Sure MLB saw a chance to stick it in a team a. not a sacred cow (Boston, NY teams, LAD, Cubs, Cards, etc.) and b. not a team so small they put them in danger of folding altogether (Tampa, Minnesota, Marlins, etc.). The Braves were just right - mid market team without a lot of national media support, in the hated south, smug from the whole 1990's success, with disinterested owners and upper management more interested in legacy than future success.

But, anybody with any intelligence should know that the Braves have long sat in that position of vulnerability. It's not like it's new.

MLB went way overboard because they could.

But it's the Braves FO management that let them by believing in their own infallibility.

This whole episode stems from the idea that the Braves had that they were smarter than everyone else, not only in baseball, but virtually any sport ever conceived. They thought they could rebuild and compete while doing it all while doing it on a mid to small size budget.

And it didn't work and now they are caught and paying the price.

The short term window isn't much changed by the losses incurred. They still have an outside chance at producing a marginally talented team in the next 2-3 years given the current and expected budget. Will it be a WS type team? No, of course not. Not enough talent to grow from within and now not enough talent to add from outside and not enough money to buy through mistakes.

Best bet is to burn it all down and build again. The right way this time.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Braves cannot give a bonus greater than $10,000 in the 2019-2020 signing year. I hear they are scouting this guy because that's about all they will be able to afford.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Braves cannot give a bonus greater than $10,000 in the 2019-2020 signing year. I hear they are scouting this guy because that's about all they will be able to afford.

IDK, that's an expensive chair... Do you think we could go $5K then provide a new chair?
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 11-21-2017 at 07:11 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    This makes the margin of error much smaller with attempting to compete...it makes it really just 2019-2022, maybe even just 2021. Everything would have to come together perfectly for it to work and it really may not be worth it.

I might just blow it up to smithereens to stick it to MLB if I was in the Braves shoes. It might not be worth it to deal with a small margin of error for a few playoff appearances. Trade everyone outside of the youngest side of the team, fill in with filler, and tank hard for 2018 and 2019. Prepare for when Ozzie Albies and Ronald Acuna are really going to be in their prime.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (11-22-2017), Horsehide Harry (11-21-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    So who wins the guess the penalty contest? Who had "prison gang raped by Bruno the wonder dick and his band of 40?"

You talkin' to me?