Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this Braves team a World Series team? Answer: No, it is not

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts

Is this Braves team a World Series team? Answer: No, it is not

As we approach the trade deadline I’m wondering if this Braves team at its core is a World Series team this year. Last year we made the playoffs but we all really knew that the first round was about as far we’d go.

This team is different. The lineup is one of the strongest in baseball. We have a lot of young arms and an incredibly strong bench.

To consider the team a World Series team though would mean you’d have to believe within a roster move or 2 we can beat the Dodgers in a 7 game series.

If you think that’s the talent level that this team has what types of trades should we look at to reinforce the roster?

If you don’t think the team is there in their development yet then what do you think our approach to the trading deadline should be?
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 07-02-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Our lineup and bench are.
    Our pitching on the whole is not and it’s not even close starting pitching wise.
    Dodgers are clearly superior in 3 of the 5 starting spots.
    Can you honestly say you trust anyone besides Soroka and Dallas to give you a quality start against a Dodgers lineup thats as close to elite as our own?I like Fried but I don’t think he could hold them to less then 3 in 5 innings.Julio is Julio and who the hell knows with Gaus/Folty.
    Unless we went for it and made a mega deal like Bauer and Hand for Wright/Gohara/Waters etc at the break to close the gap I still see them as the class of the NL but I do think we are the second best team in the league and with luck and injuries we could get there this year if everything broke right but I’m still aiming for next year after the Braves show even more financial commitment to truly contending, to go along with the continued infusion of our youth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    No. Probably need to add a SP and closer. No SP but Soroka is good enough to start a playoff game. We have enough good arms that hopefully atleast one like Folty or Gausman can step up by the end of the season. I have no confidence in Luke Jackson closing playoff games. Regular season I think he is fine. Dont want him closing 1 run games in the playoffs. Seen that movie too many times.

So imo we need a Game 2 starter for the playoffs.... and a stable closer.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    No. Probably need to add a SP and closer. No SP but Soroka is good enough to start a playoff game. We have enough good arms that hopefully atleast one like Folty or Gausman can step up by the end of the season. I have no confidence in Luke Jackson closing playoff games. Regular season I think he is fine. Dont want him closing 1 run games in the playoffs. Seen that movie too many times.

So imo we need a Game 2 starter for the playoffs.... and a stable closer.
    if the 2006 Cardinals could win a world series, I'd say about 20 teams still have some sort of chance this year
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-01-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-01-2019), jpx7 (07-01-2019), Snowman (07-02-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Our lineup and bench stacks up well against the Dodgers, imo. They are a little better overall, but both offenses are among the league's best.

Starting pitching wise, we're still ok, especially with DK on the staff and the Dodgers lefty heavy lineup. Although, I'd like to add Wheeler at the deadline and I think that can be done while not really affectng our farm depth very much at all. But if not, we have to hope Folty can get his mechanics right and get back to what he was last year. If that happens, our Top 3 is definitely on par with LA.

RP they clearly have the advantage, though we've played better as of late. Really need to grab a high leverage reliever at the deadline to help out in the later innings.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-01-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    we have used up most of our midseason stash of cash on Keuchel, which imo was a good move

we have a small amount left...the priority should be a reliever with the experience and ability to pitch some high leverage innings...preferably a lefty

the rotation should be competitive given the internal candidates available

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    we have used up most of our midseason stash of cash on Keuchel, which imo was a good move

we have a small amount left...the priority should be a reliever with the experience and ability to pitch some high leverage innings...preferably a lefty

Money can be picked up by the other team if necessary.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    I'd just like to win a playoff series first.
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs. Meta For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2019), The Chosen One (07-06-2019), VirginiaBrave (07-02-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I don't think the Braves necessarily have to be better than the Dodgers to make the World Series.

They are going to need Folty and/or Gausman to return to form and they will need to have a dependable bullpen, but if those two things happen the Braves have a shot to beat anyone in a series. I think the offense makes it worth it to take a conservative swing at it. They don't need to be moving their better prospects for rentals or to be making godfather offers though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I think they used up the money they had allocated to someone like Brantley. I think there is flexibility to acquire another salary, though I don't think they could take on Grinke level dollars say without the the other team picking up maybe half of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think they used up the money they had allocated to someone like Brantley. I think there is flexibility to acquire another salary, though I don't think they could take on Grinke level dollars say without the the other team picking up maybe half of it.
    I base my take on payrolls mostly upon what McGuirk said a few months ago, which was that 2018 payroll (whole year not opening day) was $126M and that the target for 2020 was 140M (whole year not opening day). We are left from those two numbers to figure out 2019. The numbers McGuirk gave seem to include roster churn and the guys on the 40-man but not 25 man, which accounts for 4-5M.

After the Keuchel signing, we are at about 129M. When you add roster churn we are at 133M. Exactly halfway between the 126M McGuirk cited for 2018 and 140M target he cited for 2020. There is probably a little bit left for this year but not much.

As Carp mentioned, we might be able to get other teams to assume some of the contracts they trade. But that will involve dipping into the prospect pool.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-01-2019 at 08:11 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Meta View Post
    I'd just like to win a playoff series first.
    I'd rather we get a bye to the WS.

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I base my take on payrolls mostly upon what McGuirk said a few months ago, which was that 2018 payroll (whole year not opening day) was $126M and that the target for 2020 was 140M (whole year not opening day). We are left from those two numbers to figure out 2019. The numbers McGuirk gave seem to include roster churn and the guys on the 40-man but not 25 man, which accounts for 4-5M.

After the Keuchel signing, we are at about 129M. When you add roster churn we are at 133M. Exactly halfway between the 126M McGuirk cited for 2018 and 140M target he cited for 2020. There is probably a little bit left for this year but not much.

As Carp mentioned, we might be able to get other teams to assume some of the contracts they trade. But that will involve dipping into the prospect pool.

I guess it just depends on what their limit is this season.

They're well under 140m for 2020 at this point before declining any options or making any salary dump trades with relatively few needs.

I do think they're unlikely to take on a big salary that is a continuing obligation. But I wouldn't want them to anyway.

I think they're probably gonna be equipped to make two or three solid moves, but we'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I guess it just depends on what their limit is this season.

They're well under 140m for 2020 at this point before declining any options or making any salary dump trades with relatively few needs.

I do think they're unlikely to take on a big salary that is a continuing obligation. But I wouldn't want them to anyway.

I think they're probably gonna be equipped to make two or three solid moves, but we'll see.
    They have room for some big moves for 2020. But no so much at the 2019 trade deadline, unless they get "creative."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    They have room for some big moves for 2020. But no so much at the 2019 trade deadline, unless they get "creative."

I don't expect big moves. I don't really want big moves. I think they probably have room to make the moves they need to make though. Which is basically just bullpen. they don't need to do anything else.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    I don't think the Braves necessarily have to be better than the Dodgers to make the World Series.
    I don’t necessarily think that either but I think you’d have to believe the team at least has the capability to beat them in a 7 game series to consider making a major push like going for an Ace in the trade market.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts

They are going to need Folty and/or Gausman to return to form and they will need to have a dependable bullpen, but if those two things happen the Braves have a shot to beat anyone in a series. I think the offense makes it worth it to take a conservative swing at it. They don't need to be moving their better prospects for rentals or to be making godfather offers though.
    I don’t think Folty can be relied on at this point. Somethings not right with him and I think you have to assume things will continue that way for the remainder of the season. Gausman on the other had has actually not had as brutal of a year as most think. His numbers are rough but he does have a .8 fWAR which on our team only trails Soroka Fried and Jackson. It shouldn’t take much to get him back to a #3 starting level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Folty's last start in AAA was encouraging. I'd give him a couple more. Hopefully, he figures it out both mentally and physically.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I don’t think Folty can be relied on at this point. Somethings not right with him and I think you have to assume things will continue that way for the remainder of the season. Gausman on the other had has actually not had as brutal of a year as most think. His numbers are rough but he does have a .8 fWAR which on our team only trails Soroka Fried and Jackson. It shouldn’t take much to get him back to a #3 starting level
    Unless there is underlying pain or injury, I don't see any way that Folty isn't in the plans for the rotation for the remainder of the season.

Realistically, it's not going to make sense for the Braves to acquire a new rotation midseason. It's probably not feasible, but even if it were, it's probably not a good move for the long term health of the franchise. The small increase in chances of winning this year are very unlikely to outweigh the cost.

Braves need to roll with what they have aside from some bullpen acquisitions in my opinion.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-01-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Yeah the Braves are a world series contender because the Braves are in contention for the playoffs. If you make the playoffs, you have a pretty decent chance at the world series. I don't believe in playoff teams incapable of winning a world series.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-01-2019)