Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Sobotka.
    Not familiar with this prospect; had to google him:

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-16-2015), Julio3000 (01-15-2015), Tapate50 (01-16-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Getting Moncada into the system would be a HUGE deal.
    Is there any place besides this board that is reporting such a signing is even remotely likely?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Is there any place besides this board that is reporting such a signing is even remotely likely?
    There is no such thing except this particular poster.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I just want to throw some names on the board to underscore just how good the Braves were at developing hitters during the years that we were getting credit for developing pitching.

From '91 to '96, the minors produced:

Gant
    Justice
    Blauser
    Lemke
    Brian Hunter
    Vinny Castilla
    Klesko
    Javy Lopez
    L.W. Jones
    Jermaine Dye
    Andruw Jones

with Honorable Mention going to guys like Eddie Perez, Tony Graffanino, Mike Mordecai, Mel Nieves (didn't stick, but netted us McGriff), Tony Tarasco, Keith Mitchell, et. al, who had varying degrees of success in the majors.

Anyway, here's hoping we draft another outfielder this year.
    ****, you really had to put out the Meta signal?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Braves aren't signing Moncada isn't happening because John Hart hates offense

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Well if we dont get Moncada it would be nice to spend money on something other than old journeyment relief pitchers, back up catchers and weak hitting out fielders.

(watch us sign aioki, and like a former giant relief pitcher. )

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Baseball America has cited us as a potential suitor.

But the Braves are nothing more than a dark horse. But it's not crazy to imagine it. Oakland got Cespedes when everyone thought for sure he was going to one of the big dogs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Many outlets have reported we are scouting him heavily

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...cada-showcase/

http://www.chatsports.com/atlanta-br...ada-2-10714728

Seems like a waste of time and effort if we had no interest in at least giving the bidding process a try. Does that mean we will get him? Obviously not... but we are very clearly interested.

You don't send Blakeley and Clark if you aren't at least a bit serious.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 01-16-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    There is no such thing except this particular poster.
    Except for the publications that have reported it... good troll job, though...

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Baseball America has cited us as a potential suitor.

But the Braves are nothing more than a dark horse. But it's not crazy to imagine it. Oakland got Cespedes when everyone thought for sure he was going to one of the big dogs.
    Cespedes decided between the Marlins and A's. Also in the ring were the Orioles, White Sox, Cubs, and Tigers. Bigger wallets than the A's, for sure, but not the Yanks, Red Sox, or Dodgers. The A's signed for Cespedes for an $8M/Y commitment over 4 years. Whoever signs Moncada will have to write a a couple of HUGE checks right off the bat.

It's not crazy to imagine it, but it's got to be considered a Hail Mary at best. If Moncada gets $30-50M in bonus money, as he is expected to, the post-tax cost is going to run close to double that amount.

The Yanks, Sox, and Dodgers have money, commitment from ownership, and the ability to eat an expensive mistake (insert Laird/Harang joke here). The Braves, IMO, do not. It's certainly a possibility, but it seems an extremely remote one.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Except for the publications that have reported it... good troll job, though...
    Hi hun. The Braves are scouting him....like every other effin team in the majors. That doesn't mean he has any interest in signing with the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I have reason to believe that John Hart is going to assume that Moncada is the right player at the wrong time and will therefore not be part of the plan to field a palatable team in 2015 while focusing mainly on 2017 and also trying to be the girl at the dance that isn't necessarily the best looking but is the one that is most fun to dance with while keeping in mind that the 2014 Braves were not the 1927 Yankees.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It's not crazy to imagine it, but it's got to be considered a Hail Mary at best. If Moncada gets $30-50M in bonus money, as he is expected to, the post-tax cost is going to run close to double that amount.
    I agree that Moncada is a Hail Mary. <5% chance we get him. The range I see most often is $30-40m for bonus ($60-80m with 100% penalty). Then you still need to pay for his arbitration years, which could bring the cost to more like $100m over 6 years. I think the market for Cuban players may have jumped the shark at this point. Moncada's floor is an everyday regular from what I hear, and he has the potential to be a franchise player. Makes you wonder what Bryce Harper could have gotten under this International system and if it would have been worth it.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    If you think he's a stud - then you do it.

$100M over 6 years is cheaper than any established MLB stud on FA market

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Hi hun. The Braves are scouting him....like every other effin team in the majors. That doesn't mean he has any interest in signing with the Braves.
    You're right... Clark went to his showcase for no reason... the showcase with scouts from only 5 other teams present... but sure, that's "every other effin team in the majors" I guess. Obviously every team scouts pretty much every player. It's obvious from the actions that the Braves have more than just a cursory interest... he may have interest in signing with the Braves, he might not... you have no clue. The fact is, you said only the one poster was saying the Braves had interest (and no actual sources) and you were proven wrong but you don't want to actually address that issue.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 01-16-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I have reason to believe that John Hart is going to assume that Moncada is the right player at the wrong time and will therefore not be part of the plan to field a palatable team in 2015 while focusing mainly on 2017 and also trying to be the girl at the dance that isn't necessarily the best looking but is the one that is most fun to dance with while keeping in mind that the 2014 Braves were not the 1927 Yankees.
    I don't know... most seem to think Moncada needs one or two years in the minors to properly prepare him... so it could actually be idea for the 2017 date.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You're right... Clark went to his showcase for no reason... the showcase with scouts from only 5 other teams present... but sure, that's "every other effin team in the majors" I guess. Obviously every team scouts pretty much every player. It's obvious from the actions that the Braves have more than just a cursory interest... he may have interest in signing with the Braves, he might not... you have no clue. The fact is, you said only the one poster was saying the Braves had interest (and no actual sources) and you were proven wrong but you don't want to actually address that issue.
    No, I said only 1 poster is claiming this is remotely possible. Follow along, suzie.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That BA article mentioned 8 teams with a heavy presence at the showcase, and 80-100 scouts overall.

The Braves are clearly interested, considering that they sent Clark and Blakeley. There is a non-zero chance that we'll get him. I just think it's an extremely remote possibility.

I'm just trying to manage expectations here ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I think I got it, they will just make the outfield wall 300 on both corners and 350 to center so we can score runs in the new stadium.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    We will need almost everyone on offense to either have a career year or play to their expectations. And for our pitching to do the same and stay healthy. Could it happen? Yes. Has this happened with other teams? Yes. Will it happen? Not likely.