Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Swanson getting the call...

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Time will provide a lot better measure than our opinions tonight.
    The only thing that would make sense is that... you believe these 43 games at the major league level will eventually make him a better baseball player.

But that doesn't make any sense because we could have gotten him the exact same experience next year, and would have reaped the benefits of an extra year of contractual control

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The only thing that would make sense is that... you believe these 43 games at the major league level will eventually make him a better baseball player.

But that doesn't make any sense because we could have gotten him the exact same experience next year, and would have reaped the benefits of an extra year of contractual control
    Only if they kept him down until close to June. And that's if the new CBA keeps it the same. I think it's clear they wanted him there opening day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    My opinion really has nothing to do with how Swanson performs. I really don't want to see our FO rushing prospects when they haven't proven they are ready, it reeks of slight desperation rather than solid planning. It's one thing to push players up if you think they are a better option when you are in the middle of a playoff race, but this season means nothing, and even if tons of things go right for us next season we will be a barely over .500 team. It just doesn't make logical sense to rush a player and take a chance on hurting his development in this situation. This is very much not a normal move around baseball relatively speaking.
    Correct... even if he becomes a stud this year, it has nothing to do with the senselessness of this decision.

But that will be lost on the usual suspects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Only if they kept him down until close to June. And that's if the new CBA keeps it the same. I think it's clear they wanted him there opening day.
    They could hold him down 2 weeks and get the extra year (assuming no changes)...

and that's ignoring the fact that he wasn't performing well enough to be called up. Hart even said he wasn't ready

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    They could hold him down 2 weeks and get the extra year (assuming no changes)...

and that's ignoring the fact that he wasn't performing well enough to be called up. Hart even said he wasn't ready
    Not true, waiting roughly 3 to 4 weeks into the 2017 season would have avoided super 2 status, but we would have had to wait until sometime in June to gain an extra year of contractual control.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Not true, waiting roughly 3 to 4 weeks in to the 2017 season would have avoided super 2 status, but we would have had to wait until sometime in June to gain an extra year of contractual control.
    You've got it backwards. Super two gives you the extra year of control... it's just an extra year of arbitration for the player

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    You've got it backwards. Super two gives you the extra year of control... it's just an extra year of arbitration for the player

Wrong, super 2 changes nothing where years of team control is concerned, it just gives the player 4 years of arby instead of the usual 3.
    Last edited by skillet; 08-16-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Right. It's been a long day. Either way if Swanson performs the team will either extend him or trade him. Money won't be an issue. I do see them holding Albies back to stagger their clocks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Wrong, super 2 gains no years of control just the extra year of arby.
    Super 2 allows the player an extra year of arbitration... but there is still 6 years of contractual control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Right. It's been a long day. Either way if Swanson performs the team will either extend him or trade him. Money won't be an issue. I do see them holding Albies back to stagger their clocks.
    I was saying the same thing about Heyward... that we would extend him. The problem is, you need two to tango. I don't see the need in taking the risk unless we are contending.. and we are not

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-17-2016), jpx7 (08-16-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    From Fangraphs:

Super Two status is all about money. If a player has something like 2.160 years of service at the end of a season, the arbitration clock starts as if they had 3.000 years, making the player’s earning power higher. Teams try to avoid this by delaying promotion to the major leagues, thus saving them millions of dollars on certain players. Super Two status does not affect a player’s years of team control/when they reach free agency, only their salary structure during their initial period of team control.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I was saying the same thing about Heyward... that we would extend him. The problem is, you need two to tango. I don't see the need in taking the risk unless we are contending.. and we are not
    I mean. Swanson could be the second coming and price himself out of Atlanta to where that extra year would be crucial. I think they are looking down the road and don't want Swanson and Albies to be on the same clock. And likely at different arby points too.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    From Fangraphs:

Super Two status is all about money. If a player has something like 2.160 years of service at the end of a season, the arbitration clock starts as if they had 3.000 years, making the player’s earning power higher. Teams try to avoid this by delaying promotion to the major leagues, thus saving them millions of dollars on certain players. Super Two status does not affect a player’s years of team control/when they reach free agency, only their salary structure during their initial period of team control.
    That is correct. But you still need to end a year with 6 seasons to be a FA. If Swanson was called up mid April he would end 2022 with 5.9 years of service time and would need one more year before he becomes a free agent. He would then enter his 4th year of arbitration.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (08-16-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Guys! The FO is the FO so therefore they always know more than us. And therefore, they cannot - under any circumstances - make a mistake... because they are the FO!!!
    Not sure why it's a mistake. Seems like a lot of people are jumping the gun here.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-16-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Based on what he's done so far, he obviously trusts his baseball people more than a computer.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

auyushu (08-16-2016), Braves1976 (08-17-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Going to take the time to read through all the comments, but I find it funny that people will reference how it was a good thing that Glavine, Smoltz, and others (Chipper, Andruw, Furcal, etc.) were allowed to "take their lumps" and learn at the MLB level but they dislike this move.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Too many of you are looking at this as of we won't be competing next year. When you look at it that way this makes no sense. When you realize he was going to be on the opening day roster it makes a ton of sense. Even if Swanson fails miserably he will get an offseason to work on it. There's nothing he can learn at AA he can't learn in the majors. If anything he will learn faster in the majors. You don't learn how to hit Noah Syndergaard at AA.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    From Fangraphs:

as thewupk explained... this only has to do with the player getting 4 arbitration years rather than the usual 3... the team still gets an extra 5 months of service time if you wait two weeks in April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Going to take the time to read through all the comments, but I find it funny that people will reference how it was a good thing that Glavine, Smoltz, and others (Chipper, Andruw, Furcal, etc.) were allowed to "take their lumps" and learn at the MLB level but they dislike this move.

Who is saying that in the comments?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've been lobbying for Camargo seeing that he will have to go on the 40-man over the winter anyway. Odd move to bring up Swanson.
    The only problem I have with this line of thinking is it makes little difference (IMO) in the long run. If Camargo's going to be a utility guy, what difference does it make? Is it not better to give the experience to the player you expect to be the starter?

An Albies or Camargo promotion would make more sense on merit, but they've already moved Ozzie to 2B and made Camargo a utility guy, so there's not any kind of competition. They've already made him "the guy", so let him get the experience and learn since the hole is at HIS position.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?