Page 16 of 94 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    It still blows my mind that the majority of casual Braves fans that populate social media think Coppolella was some amazing GM, and is solely responsible for the Braves’ success the last few years. I’ve seen people even state that the Braves would have at least one World Series if Coppy was still the GM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Can we please stopped calling Camargo up?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021), UNCBlue012 (05-10-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Would assume Martin comes back soon, Greene replaces Webb whenever he's deemed ready, and Newk replaces Biddle.

Doesn't give you a 5-man bench, but that's far better than 3!!!
    Too bad Camargo isn’t useful.

I’m guessing they have Arcia working on something, swing-wise, and want to see more in consistent PAs before they bring him up for the bench.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Keeping Arcia down is really puzzling. I am starting to think maybe it's service time manipulation. You just can't convince me he isn't one of the 26 best players on our 40 man

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-10-2021), jpx7 (05-10-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Keeping Arcia down is really puzzling. I am starting to think maybe it's service time manipulation. You just can't convince me he isn't one of the 26 best players on our 40 man
    He was available to be stashed in the minor leagues, so maybe you should let yourself be convinced?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The basic story is they want to make sure he’s playing everyday in case there’s an injury to an IF. Which means I guess he’s viewed more as a starter than a bench bat.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He was available to be stashed in the minor leagues, so maybe you should let yourself be convinced?
    You're going to burn an option year this season anyway just as with Camargo and Kazmar - the Brewers saw to that when they started the season with him on their MLB roster. On what planet are either of the two of those guys a better option to help out as bench pieces?

Arcia has 4.047 years of service time. You're not saving an option by having him spend all this time in Gwinnett, but at some point you'll get that extra year of control back. If they're bringing Camargo back up the day after Arcia hit 3 bombs, there's bound to be a certain date they're leaving him down to meet. With Camargo on the roster you still have to have Adrianza as your emergency SS in case something happens to Dansby - that's not a concern if Arcia's on the bench.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    You're going to burn an option year this season anyway just as with Camargo and Kazmar - the Brewers saw to that when they started the season with him on their MLB roster. On what planet are either of the two of those guys a better option to help out as bench pieces?

Arcia has 4.047 years of service time. You're not saving an option by having him spend all this time in Gwinnett, but at some point you'll get that extra year of control back. If they're bringing Camargo back up the day after Arcia hit 3 bombs, there's bound to be a certain date they're leaving him down to meet. With Camargo on the roster you still have to have Adrianza as your emergency SS in case something happens to Dansby - that's not a concern if Arcia's on the bench.

Arcia has never actually been good, which is why he's on Atlanta's minor league roster.

I'm not here to say whether he's better than Camargo or Kazmar. All of these options are fairly lousy.

At one time, Arcia seemed like a possible 20/20 guy but all of his service time adds up to a 71 wRC+. I'm just suggesting that he might well suck as much as the other options.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm still baffled by the Gausman ordeal in Atlanta. Dude went right back to the stud #3 he's always been almost immediately after leaving Atlanta.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statc...oba=on#results

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Arcia has never actually been good, which is why he's on Atlanta's minor league roster.

I'm not here to say whether he's better than Camargo or Kazmar. All of these options are fairly lousy.

At one time, Arcia seemed like a possible 20/20 guy but all of his service time adds up to a 71 wRC+. I'm just suggesting that he might well suck as much as the other options.
    Arcia strikes me as a guy someone in the FO loves for some reason, and when they found out he might be available that person pounded the table demanding they get him. That person probably burned all their built up benefit of the doubt to get that trade to go down.

A guy who isn't good enough to be a starter, and can't play part time isn't exactly the type of player teams acquire in April. Acquiring a guy to sit in AAA "just in case" seems...odd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Arcia strikes me as a guy someone in the FO loves for some reason, and when they found out he might be available that person pounded the table demanding they get him. That person probably burned all their built up benefit of the doubt to get that trade to go down.

A guy who isn't good enough to be a starter, and can't play part time isn't exactly the type of player teams acquire in April. Acquiring a guy to sit in AAA "just in case" seems...odd.
    Cheap Swanson replacement for next year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Would assume Martin comes back soon, Greene replaces Webb whenever he's deemed ready, and Newk replaces Biddle.

Doesn't give you a 5-man bench, but that's far better than 3!!!
    Anyone know what happened to Webb? He was very good in 2019 prior to injury, and then gave us nothing last year nor so far this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cheap Swanson replacement for next year?
    No thank you. He's been ass his entire career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm still baffled by the Gausman ordeal in Atlanta. Dude went right back to the stud #3 he's always been almost immediately after leaving Atlanta.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statc...oba=on#results
    Made no sense. And we desperately needed starting pitching at the time too. He would’ve been a godsend last year, and I’d take him over Smyly this year. And I like Smyly.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Same confusion with Gausman. I thought he was a really savvy pickup, then it seemed like he lost his feel briefly and we cut bait like we knew something...which, in retrospect, it’s pretty clear we didn’t.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    No thank you. He's been ass his entire career.
    Dansby is better than Arcia, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves that Dansby is more than he is. His improvement with the glove and some big hits have made me appreciate him more than I used to but he’s a meh hitter outside of last year’s 60-game silly season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Dansby is better than Arcia, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves that Dansby is more than he is. His improvement with the glove and some big hits have made me appreciate him more than I used to but he’s a meh hitter outside of last year’s 60-game silly season.
    Eh. He’s had injuries that have derailed some hot starts to seasons. Granted that sometimes comes with the territory but I believe he’s injured his wrist a few times and we have seen what that does to hitters.

That said- yeah he’s not a superstar up there
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    He’s on pace for ~2.0 fWAR, which would be pretty good at $6m this year; but, given his x-stats are all solidly better than his results thus far, I expect he’ll end up worth more like 3.0 by season’s end. It might not be the ~6.0 fWAR he was pacing in 2020, but it’s leaps and bounds better than anything we might expect from Arcia.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Still can’t believe the astros had a hill and flag pole in CF for years.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    And?

Most of our bench signed for minor league contract. We actually gave up something of value to get Arcia.

Arcia is a significantly better fielder than Camargo. Probably better than Adrianza too. And offensively, he's no worse. He had the best 2020 season among any players currently on our bench.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)