Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fredi will win Manager of the Year

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I just don't see how you can't give it Clint Hurdle. His roster is/was by far the worst of the teams likely to make the playoffs.
    It's also not the first time he's won in an unexpected place.

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Or come close to it. If he does I'm gonna LMAO. He and his whole staff have done an amazing job this year, even if all they do is stay out of the players' way. Youngest team in baseball, new team make-up/no more Chipper, injuries galore, etc.

Posters treat Fredi like an illiterate half-wit who until this year was coaching junior high girls soccer in Peru, but he's having quite a season. He's had to handle some delicate situations with the potential to cause problems (new prima donna? brothers, Gattis taking away McCann's playing time, excessive strikeouts, jumping out to big lead, untested relievers) and everything seems as rosy as ever. Like most years for the Braves, the team seems to really like playing together - probably a unwritten organizational goal but the coaching staff has a lot to do with carrying it out. Fredi deserves credit for at least not trying to fix things that aren't broke. Kudos.
    I think every fan base has fans that are "smarter" then the manager so it's nothing unique to Braves fans. I think Fredi has done a great job this year. No manager makes the right move every time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ProbationDeac For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (09-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Fredi Gonzalez makes dumb moves, but so does every manager. Cox is a HOF manager and I questioned him more than Fredi.

FG deserves manager of the year

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunit24 For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (09-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I just don't see how you can't give it Clint Hurdle. His roster is/was by far the worst of the teams likely to make the playoffs.
    I mean I can see how/why you would say that but I think their roster is pretty solid. Of course their offense before acquiring Byrd and Morneau was kind of suspect but their pitching staff has been great. If Burnett had more wins you could definitely make a case for him to win the Cy Young award this year, that's how good he's been. Not to mention Liriano who is also have a Cy Young like season as well. Liriano has been one of the best pitchers in the NL this year and Pittsburgh hit the lottery when they signed Francisco as he looks like the guy that showed so much promise with the Twins before all the injuries. Morton and Locke have also been pretty solid and Gerrit Cole has contributed as well.

I can see why Hurdle should get it but Gonzalez has also led his team to the best record while having a rash of injuries. You could just about field a starting 9 with all the year ending injuries the Braves have had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    Fredi Gonzalez makes dumb moves, but so does every manager.
    I agree to a point, but to call every other thing he does "dumb" is dumb. He's making decisions based on much more information that any fan could possibly have. He knows who's a little tired or nursing a sore whatever that they don't want to make public. Besides, a good game manager should be a bit unpredictable at times and free to make the occasional blunder. Just because something didn't work doesn't make it dumb to have tried it.

That said, most in-game decisions are actually decided before the game in discussions with the staff. They pretty much know what they are gonna do in any situation.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    If Derek Jeter can win a gold glove, I suppose it's possible Fredi can win Manager of the Year

Doesn't mean he is a good manager

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-05-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If Derek Jeter can win a gold glove, I suppose it's possible Fredi can win Manager of the Year

Doesn't mean he is a good manager
    Message board posters will never admit when they are wrong will they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    You are right. He is not a good in-game manager. Don't know why some can't admit that. I am sure he is doing a lot right outside of the actual game. Either that, or he won't be managing the Braves next year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    You are right. He is not a good in-game manager. Don't know why some can't admit that. I am sure he is doing a lot right outside of the actual game. Either that, or he won't be managing the Braves next year.
    lol.....he's going to be our manager for a very long time. It's hilarious that some of you think he's a terrible manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    lol.....he's going to be our manager for a very long time. It's hilarious that some of you think he's a terrible manager.
    I think he is a bad in-game manager, and the facts are there to support that--look at how many decisions he makes that lowers our chance of winning at that moment. Because he is still here, I assume he is great behind the scenes. Think a great bench coach who he respects would be a wonderful addition to the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Just because you disagree with a move he makes that doesn't automatically make it a bad one. You aren't always right and Fredi isn't always wrong. All I know is the man gets results despite having a team that has had to go through a lot of adversity. That means something to me. I bet if you polled other managers in the game you would find out that Fredi is well respected in the game of baseball. Only message board posters think he's a bad in game manager. I'm not saying every move he makes is the right one, I'm sure he makes his fair share of blunders (as do most managers) but this notion that he's terrible is much like the reputation Chris Johnson has defensively on this board. I just don't see it. I think people have a preconceived notion of what they believe about a person and aren't willing to change their stance. Isn't it possible that Fredi has improved since he got here? I mean I find it hard to believe we are able to win as much as we do if he's holding us back with his managerial tactics.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Runnin (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Just because you disagree with a move he makes that doesn't automatically make it a bad one. You aren't always right and Fredi isn't always wrong. All I know is the man gets results despite having a team that has had to go through a lot of adversity. That means something to me. I bet if you polled other managers in the game you would find out that Fredi is well respected in the game of baseball. Only message board posters think he's a bad in game manager. I'm not saying every move he makes is the right one, I'm sure he makes his fair share of blunders (as do most managers) but this notion that he's terrible is much like the reputation Chris Johnson has defensively on this board. I just don't see it. I think people have a preconceived notion of what they believe about a person and aren't willing to change their stance. Isn't it possible that Fredi has improved since he got here? I mean I find it hard to believe we are able to win as much as we do if he's holding us back with his managerial tactics.
    Couldn't agree more. But you can actually track how moves decrease or increase the chance of victory. It isn't perfect, but when you constantly see questionable moves that reduce the chance of a win...

Has he improved his in-game performance? Sure. His first year and a half or so, he was obsessed with bunts. Stopped that. Medlen woke him up a little with the pitchers, it seems. He has been better about that since. If wins is a team stat, you can give the manager a bit of the credit (like the starting pitcher) but not nearly as much as people want to make out. PLENTY of bad managers managed--and manage--good teams.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    Fredi is a terrible manager.

That's not me "not willing to admit I'm wrong." He proves me right basically every game.
    Last edited by sturg33; 09-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I just don't see it.
    You're not always right, either.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-05-2013), Dalyn (09-05-2013), holden (09-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

That's not me "not willing to admit I'm wrong." He proves me right basically every game.
    Best endorsement of Fredi yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,539 Posts

Nice edit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    What would people say Fredi's WAR is?  I will never believe, or admit, that it's negative.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    they just go away and become Nats fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    they just go away and become Nats fans.
    Hmm, are you sure? For example, I thought Gilesfan was born that way.