Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1394

Thread: DRAFT IN PROGRESS THREAD ... What's past is preamble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    How does spending and slot money work following the first 10 rounds? I'm not really familiar with the system.
    Every slot after round 10 has a slot value of 100k. Anything they sign for over that comes out of the draft pool.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Where can I find the list of brave picks?

http://m.mlb.com/draft/tracker#!ft=team&fv=atl

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    How does spending and slot money work following the first 10 rounds? I'm not really familiar with the system.
    The basic bonus limit for Round 11 on is $100,000. A team can take savings from the unexpended sum of the pool for the first ten rounds of the pool and spend it on bonuses that exceed $100,000. Obviously, you need to sign your top priority guys from the first ten rounds to see what level of savings you have to spend. I'm guessing that all of the seniors will be well below slot. Some may go toward Wentz and Muller, but my guess is they pretty much know what those guys are going to demand and they want to take a hook shot from half court and try to land another high profile guy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (06-10-2016)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Yet to see anyone rate the Braves as a winner. Highest rating I've seen is a B. Anyone have some positive vibes

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    No positive vibes from me. Pass on premium talent at 3, take 1 high upside bat at 76, draft tons of pitchers and low upside senior sides. Not a great draft on the surface to me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SidSlid92 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Yet to see anyone rate the Braves as a winner. Highest rating I've seen is a B. Anyone have some positive vibes
    What? Pretty much all the major people gave us a great review on day 1. You're just making crap up. Not to mention about how so many links and positive vibes from the experts have been shared in this thread specifically. So if the highest you've seen is a B... You haven't read any of this thread. But hey... Whatever suits your bias best.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 06-10-2016 at 06:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (06-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    No positive vibes from me. Pass on premium talent at 3, take 1 high upside bat at 76, draft tons of pitchers and low upside senior sides. Not a great draft on the surface to me
    You being negative is such a surprise

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Yeah i'm sure you should be GM.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You being negative is such a surprise
    You supporting the front office is no surprise.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Wasn't thrilled with the first 3 picks, but understand it. Then liked Cumberland. But hated the rest of the draft. What was there to be excited about after the first 4 picks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I don't see why everyone has to be happy and on board with this draft. The strategy the Braves used is controversial. I'd almost guarantee you there are people in our own scouting department who think drafting under slot at 3 was a mistake.

There's plenty of reason to be negative about the strategy. It's going to happen when you pick a mid first round level player at 3. If you choose to have faith in the front office here or like Anderson/Wentz better than other alternatives fine. You can make arguments to that end. If you don't like it, that doesn't make you a negative fan or a hater. The draft strategy just isn't one you like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Wasn't thrilled with the first 3 picks, but understand it. Then liked Cumberland. But hated the rest of the draft. What was there to be excited about after the first 4 picks?
    Those are usually the only picks that work out anyways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't see why everyone has to be happy and on board with this draft. The strategy the Braves used is controversial. I'd almost guarantee you there are people in our own scouting department who think drafting under slot at 3 was a mistake.

There's plenty of reason to be negative about the strategy. It's going to happen when you pick a mid first round level player at 3. If you choose to have faith in the front office here or like Anderson/Wentz better than other alternatives fine. You can make arguments to that end. If you don't like it, that doesn't make you a negative fan or a hater. The draft strategy just isn't one you like.
    You can be critical but saying silly things like Anderson doesn't have an ace ceiling is just silly. Especially with your reasoning and against what all the major analysts have said since we drafted him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-10-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Anderson had helium and many thought that if the draft were a few weeks later he'd be ranked in the top 5. I don't see much to complain about unless you think the MLB draft is like the NFL. These guys won't be on the big club for 3-5 years. "drafting for need" makes no sense as the need in 3-5 years might be totally different than it is right now
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    Anderson had helium and many thought that if the draft were a few weeks later he'd be ranked in the top 5. I don't see much to complain about unless you think the MLB draft is like the NFL. These guys won't be on the big club for 3-5 years. "drafting for need" makes no sense as the need in 3-5 years might be totally different than it is right now
    Agree. This is the reason that I have been so adamant about trading guys like Inciarte, Viz, Teheran and Freeman (and pretty much anyone other than that group of 4 who isn't a part of the long term future).

The offense is worst in the league and has been for a while. There are no real players that will help beyond Albies and Swanson who are both 1-2 hole hitters while the Braves need a lot of 3-7 type hitters.

Unless you can draft a Horner or Bryant or Schwarber, you aren't getting draft help at the ML level for 3-4 years minimum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You can be critical but saying silly things like Anderson doesn't have an ace ceiling is just silly. Especially with your reasoning and against what all the major analysts have said since we drafted him.
    I've read analysis of him that says middle of the rotation ceiling. Even effusive analysis avoids the use of words like "ace".

Of course, you can say any pitcher drafted has an ace ceiling if they improve enough. Whether that's a realistic ceiling is the question. Being realistic, I don't see ace ceiling there. If he jumps his velocity 3-4 mph, tightens the breaking stuff, gets his change consistent, and sharpens his command, then he could be an ace. I just don't see all of that happening.

I think he tops out at Julio Teheran level. That's not a bad thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Did they call Mike Trout a future MVP when he was drafted? No they didn't. Why? Bc players get better as they mature.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Where can I find the list of brave picks?
    Thread now posted here on Chop Country:

LINK

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Who could they have possibly drafted after Cumberland that would have been exciting? Nobody, which is why they are being drafted after day 1.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of offense drafted. It would have been much more exciting following a guy like Lewis in the system than Anderson. I'm probably a little jaded because all these supposed stud pitchers the braves spent the last 2 years acquiring haven't exactly been exciting to follow, at least in my opinion. Allard has been babied. Newcomb and Touki have been mediocre. Fried hasn't done much. Blair and Gant have been pretty blah in their limited MLB action. Just nothing to get excited about honestly.

Oh well, hopefully they will be able to turn some this pitching into hitters at some point. They did great with Miller, and not so great with Wood. Their track record of acquiring hitters via trade is still very much unproven.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Little detail I missed: Muller was Gatorade National Prep Player of the Year. Watching video of him hitting, hard to imagine the Braves won't consider giving him a chance a la Riley, Simmons.

He's 6-7, 245, and these are his hitting numbers this year in a top Texas prep league:

In the batter's box, he has batted .396/.482/.848 (1.331 OPS) over 166 plate appearances, along with 15 home runs, eight doubles, five triples and 52 runs batted in, in 44 games played. He has also stolen 20 bases in 21 attempts on the season.

OK, pitching: On the hill, he has an 8-0 record, along with a miniscule 0.46 ERA, as well as 133 strikeouts, while allowing just 26 hits and 15 walks, in 76 innings pitched. He has also thrown five shutouts, including two no-hitters, en route to the Class 6A state semifinals this weekend.
    Last edited by rico43; 06-10-2016 at 08:31 PM.