Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #starbucksboycott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Wow... this is becoming a bit scary your lack of knowledge on supply and demand (see the other thread)... Let's recap more slowly:

1. Uber charges rates based on demand of their drivers

2. When demand is high, they surge price (supply and demand)

3. Demand was very high at JFK bc cab companies were boycotting

4. Surge pricing was so high that it was very difficult for people to pay the rates

5. Uber suspended the surge pricing in order to allow people to get home affordably

**** THEM
    Do you really expect most of these people on the board to understand economic and business principles?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do you really expect most of these people on the board to understand economic and business principles?
    It's getting harder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Starbucks can do what they want as far as I'm concerned, but is it not technically illegal what they said they want to do?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is annoyingly patronizing. I can both accept that Uber made a sound business decision and also feel that it wasn't a particularly nice thing to do. Business isn't nice, and I understand that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-31-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Wow... this is becoming a bit scary your lack of knowledge on supply and demand (see the other thread)... Let's recap more slowly:

1. Uber charges rates based on demand of their drivers

2. When demand is high, they surge price (supply and demand)

3. Demand was very high at JFK bc cab companies were boycotting

4. Surge pricing was so high that it was very difficult for people to pay the rates

5. Uber suspended the surge pricing in order to allow people to get home affordably

**** THEM
    So you're saying that uber is spitting in the face of supply and demand, ****ing their drivers, all to support DJT
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    BTW just to reiterate. Sturg literally jsut said that I was right about supply and demand, and that Uber spit in the face of supply and demand which is what I said.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So you're saying that uber is spitting in the face of supply and demand, ****ing their drivers, all to support DJT
    I'll disagree here. I don't think the decision was made specifically to support Trump, but to undermine their competition. If taxi drivers are going to strike and Uber jacks up pricing so much that many people decide to not use their service instead, Uber doesn't benefit during a period in which they stand to do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Yes. That is exactly what they did in order to serve their customers... yet the left is spinning as a bad thing.

If they maintained the surge pricing, the left would bitch about price gouging.

Can anyone make the left happy? Other than screeching marching women?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Yes. That is exactly what they did in order to serve their customers... yet the left is spinning as a bad thing.

If they maintained the surge pricing, the left would bitch about price gouging.

Can anyone make the left happy? Other than screeching marching women?
    LMAO. SO just to reiterate. I was right, you said I was wrong, then I clarified that I was right, and then you said I was right.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they're doing what they're doing. But it's just so ****ing funny watching you spin around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'll disagree here. I don't think the decision was made specifically to support Trump, but to undermine their competition. If taxi drivers are going to strike and Uber jacks up pricing so much that many people decide to not use their service instead, Uber doesn't benefit during a period in which they stand to do so.
    Yes and no. Realize that Lyft didn't do the same thing. And because of the Uber system, they don't have a stable of drivers waiting. I also assume that the employees are taking the majority of the bath here. Not the company who I'm sure are still taking the lion's share of the fees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    LMAO. SO just to reiterate. I was right, you said I was wrong, then I clarified that I was right, and then you said I was right.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they're doing what they're doing. But it's just so ****ing funny watching you spin around.
    It's tough reading through all of your LMAOs in your post... I read your post as questioning whether demand was too high.

Your personal immaturity notwithstanding... I love that you're mad at a company for allowing human beings to have a ride home from the airport rather than stranding them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    They're supposed to side with folks who have been fighting tooth and nail to keep them out of the marketplace?
    That's right... those poor lobbying cab companies need all the help they can get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    It's tough reading through all of your LMAOs in your post... I read your post as questioning whether demand was too high.

Your personal immaturity notwithstanding... I love that you're mad at a company for allowing human beings to have a ride home from the airport rather than stranding them.
    One LMAO = All of the LMAOs

I don't really recall me saying I'm mad at Uber for doing this. I said Uber is a ****ty company, but my belief in that isn't because of this event. People boycotting Uber though again isn't similar to Starbucks though I'm glad you're trying to spin it that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    One LMAO = All of the LMAOs

I don't really recall me saying I'm mad at Uber for doing this. I said Uber is a ****ty company, but my belief in that isn't because of this event. People boycotting Uber though again isn't similar to Starbucks though I'm glad you're trying to spin it that way.
    The reason for people boycotting Uber is just as stupid as the reason people are boycotting Starbucks.

I don't like Uber either... but they are far and away a better service than cabs.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Boycott aside, does anyone like Starbucks' coffee? Can't speak for the fancy stuff - I drink one, maybe two, cups of coffee a day, black w/no sweeteners - but I've never been a fan of the regular coffee. Especially for the price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    The reason for people boycotting Uber is just as stupid as the reason people are boycotting Starbucks.

I don't like Uber either... but they are far and away a better service than cabs.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The reason for people wanting to boycott Uber is much more complex than this and much more justified. This is boycotting a company who employs about 200K americans, wanting to employ 10K more Americans because they said they want to employ refugees who are the people who I think would benefit the most from the jobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Boycott aside, does anyone like Starbucks' coffee? Can't speak for the fancy stuff - I drink one, maybe two, cups of coffee a day, black w/no sweeteners - but I've never been a fan of the regular coffee. Especially for the price.
    Better than ****ty coffee, much worse than what you'll find at a local place. One of the things that I hated seeing, I was in Burlington, VT and there was a Starbucks that was just hopping, like line and everything, there was a local coffee shop just down the street who roasts their own beans and is superior that was moderately busy.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    JMO, it's not very good, particularly for the price. Anyone who knows their way around the equipment can make a better cup. They prioritize repeatability and efficiency, not quality, so the result is a product that is consistent but mediocre.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    People are boycotting Uber for 3 reasons:

Uber taking fares (at some point, lower) at JFK despite the protest. (this is beyond stupid)

The CEO made a non committal response on facebook. (this is beyond stupid)

The CEO is on Trumps economic advisory council (this is beyond stupid)

You have every right to protest (taxi cab drivers), but don't expect other companies to abide by your beliefs and stand with you.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (01-31-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Better than ****ty coffee, much worse than what you'll find at a local place. One of the things that I hated seeing, I was in Burlington, VT and there was a Starbucks that was just hopping, like line and everything, there was a local coffee shop just down the street who roasts their own beans and is superior that was moderately busy.
    They built a store literally adjacent to my local shop nearly a decade ago...I'm pleased to report that the local joint is still in business.