Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the flagrant stupidity and ignorance and then saying things like "...from people who probably never touched a baseball or boob in their life" is what gets you attacked.

we get it. you don't understand numbers, math, statistics. that's not the issue. it's the ignorance and arrogance that goes along with not understanding those things.
    Appreciate you proving my point.
    I don’t need to rely on a spreadsheet to enjoy watching or understanding a baseball game. I don’t care to learn about these new stats either. What is the point if I know a players LD% or not.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Let’s just take RBI away as a stat anyway. Since it’s so ancient and not used in current baseball front offices lets just do away with it. I mean runs are pretty important to baseball, but it’s not important about who is hitting the ball and driving them in.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Let’s just take RBI away as a stat anyway. Since it’s so ancient and not used in current baseball front offices lets just do away with it. I mean runs are pretty important to baseball, but it’s not important about who is hitting the ball and driving them in.
    just fundamental confusion and misunderstanding. par for the course.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    This thread has been a ****storm of stats/madbum/ and boobs. I just don’t get it. It is like people hate each other because they aren’t like them. I think I read one post about the team being in first and even that turned into a bickering session. It is like watching my two youngests bicker about stupid things. I finally interrupt and ask them how do you determine the winner and when you do, what is the prize. I sometimes wonder what the collective mental age is of a lot of you guys. But alas you are my favorite internet hobby and I will just enjoy what you give me.
    Coppy

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-11-2019), jpx7 (06-11-2019), Tapate50 (06-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I don’t need to rely on a spreadsheet to enjoy watching or understanding a baseball game. I don’t care to learn about these new stats either. What is the point if I know a players LD% or not.
    and what point is that?
    you certainly don't understand a thing about player valuation. i don't need a spreadsheet or stats to watch and appreciate a game, either. it's the extra stuff that goes into the game, team building, player values, bad luck, good luck, sustainability, etc. where "a spreadsheet" is 100000x more valuable than your eye for the game. people like and appreciate all of that, so when the games are over, some people like to do more digging. remain ignorant all you want, that's fine. but it's funny when you spout off some more nonsense and then claim to be proud of your ignorance. it's so typical of someone like you.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I sometimes wonder what the collective mental age is of a lot of you guys. But alas you are my favorite internet hobby and I will just enjoy what you give me.
    Well with thoughtful posts like yours that could sway the average mental age of this place. So we need to take you out of the equation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The animosity towards stats stems from the fact that idiots used to take solace in the fact that sports were theirs, and nerds weren't allowed.

Now nerds run the show, and it's threatening the only place idiots had to themselves, so they lash out because they are mentally incapable of anything more complex.

The fact guys like me were better ballplayers than them, know more about advanced stats than them, make far more money than them, and have touched more perfect boobs than them means they are lesser men in all ways men can be measured. That has to hurt...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-11-2019 at 12:26 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    THen what's the point in knowing what their batting average is? Or what a pitcher's ERA is? Those are stats too.

Stats are baseball. They are what baseball is built upon. You want to disparage new age stats over ancient stats, yet you don't even understand what the newer stats are? If you don't care to understand it, then why do you argue against it? You don't have to understand stats if you don' want to. That doesn't make them wrong and you right because you refuse to understand them.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-11-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Neck being on the roster at all is an issue as I don't see them trying to upgrade over him, relegating him to a bench role. i hope i'm wrong and they'll make a move if necessary, whether it's a platoon with Duvall or another acquisition.
    For instance: Corey Dickerson would be an upgrade, and the Pirates want to move him.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He should sit more. I don't think he needs to be platooned.
    He’s been .100 OPS points worse in his career against LHP, and he’s .300 points worse this year. It’s hard to argue he shouldn’t be platooned—especially when the team has two great options (Duvall and Camargo) to occupy the short side of that platoon.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-11-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    THen what's the point in knowing what their batting average is? Or what a pitcher's ERA is? Those are stats too.

Stats are baseball. They are what baseball is built upon. You want to disparage new age stats over ancient stats, yet you don't even understand what the newer stats are? If you don't care to understand it, then why do you argue against it? You don't have to understand stats if you don' want to. That doesn't make them wrong and you right because you refuse to understand them.
    I am not arguing against them or the fact that they are used at all. My issue is with the people who shove them down others throats and revert to name calling et cetera. The idea that their stats are always right and if you don’t agree with that then you are an idiot. If someone (Mississippi Braves guy) asks a question he gets attacked. I did not go back and reread every post leading up to his original question. It looked like he legit asked a question and instead of getting an actual response he was talked/typed down to.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The animosity towards stats stems from the fact that idiots used to take solace in the fact that sports were theirs, and nerds weren't allowed.

Now nerds run the show, and it's threatening the only place idiots had to themselves, so they lash out because they are mentally incapable of anything more complex.

The fact guys like me were better ballplayers than them, know more about advanced stats than them, make far more money than them, and have touched more perfect boobs than them means they are lesser men in all ways men can be measured. That has to hurt...
    Is there a WAR stat for this?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2019), The Chosen One (06-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Ozzie is leading in votes at 2nd base for the ASG.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-11-2019), jpx7 (06-11-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Ozzie is leading in votes at 2nd base for the ASG.
    Carry over from last year.

I'm surprised Bell is as high as he is at 1st. No doubt having an all-star worthy year I just figured Freeman or Rizzo would be 1st in votes.

Good to see Acuna leading the pack of OFs after Bellinger/Yelich.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I find it curious you think advanced stats are 'made up' but don't feel that way about any number of traditional stats which at some point were 'made up' as well.
    it's like organic versus man made chemicals
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I was far more happy in the first month of the season when Neck was, again, overperforming. I am far less happy to realize he has settled back in to who he truly is earlier this season.
    you didn't want to put a number on it...but thought 1-1.5 WAR was low, IIRC. he will settle in at right around 1 WAR. yippee.
    the fact they haven't even begun platooning him tells me they won't look to upgrade there. i hope i'm wrong. but i don't see it.
    I said I thought that it was entirely possible that he would perform at a 1.5+ level this season and that his contract hardly required him to do that to provide value. And that the Braves didn't really have anything to lose by seeing what happened.

For the record, Nick's wOBA is .343 (with an xwOBA of .356) this season as compared to .345 last season. That's an above average number for both seasons.

He also has a higher exit velocity (91.6 vs 90.6) than last season.

There is basically no indication in the peripherals to suggest he's regressed to career low Nick as you seem to want to insist. Right now, he still looks like an above average hitter who is having a bad luck spell. Which I guess is subject to nagging injury or fatigue at any point as with all older players.

That said, I have no issue with upgrading him and never have. I wanted Brantley.

I don't think a straight platoon with Duvall necessary makes a great deal of sense, but I sure don't mind him getting his more regular rest vs LHP that particularly profiles to frustrate him.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-11-2019 at 01:02 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

The scary part is I think you actually believe this delusional ****.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He’s been .100 OPS points worse in his career against LHP, and he’s .300 points worse this year. It’s hard to argue he shouldn’t be platooned—especially when the team has two great options (Duvall and Camargo) to occupy the short side of that platoon.
    I'm not sure I agree that those are "great" options, but have no issue with Nick getting fewer games vs LHP. That's exactly how I would try to get him rest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

There is basically no indication in the peripherals to suggest he's regressed to career low Nick as you seem to want to insist. Right now, he still looks like an above average hitter who is having a bad luck spell. Which I guess is subject to nagging injury or fatigue at any point as with all older players.
    he looks like the same right around average hitter he has been since 2013. outside a couple of months, he's been that guy for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    he looks like the same right around average hitter he has been since 2013. outside a couple of months, he's been that guy for a long time.
    So those few hot months didn’t happen or do we exclude them for everyone else too?
    Ivermectin Man