Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: THURSDAY MINORS FINAL 6/20/19; Big night for Pache

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm not sure what this has to do with Langerlier's and Shewmake's ceiling. i do think Langeliers could probably get that in Japan tho. Stewart did after a poor season.
    I didn't realize Scott Boras was Carter's agent. Or maybe he wasn't his agent last year in negotiations with the Braves. But Boras sees this deal with Japan as a way to increase leverage for drafted players. Maybe, maybe not.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Agreed. A top notch defensive catcher that can and has shown data that the bat could be plus is a HUGE ceiling.

I think folks think we are getting a player that is finished and can't improve which newsflash is what the minors is for.
    Hold on a second. Presumably the minors are there to help any player selected with that pick. Whether it be Langeliers, Hunter, Carroll, Rutledge or Manoah. The question is which one can potentially improve the most with expert instruction. That's how I see it. I'm not arguing that Langeliers or any player is a finished product.

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Eh....really any player by the nine pick had some warts. He saved us enough money to nab some other players also. Should at worst be a back up catcher. As long as he doesn’t flame out and if one of those other picks signed with the money saved turns out...it will be good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Eh....really any player by the nine pick had some warts. He saved us enough money to nab some other players also. Should at worst be a back up catcher. As long as he doesn’t flame out and if one of those other picks signed with the money saved turns out...it will be good.
    i think a floor of Austin Hedges isn't bad and i can see that. not much with the bat but his defense allows him to put up seasons of over 2 fWAR. plus he's only 26 and catchers are weird, so his bat could improve. need to be really patient with catchers, especially great defensive ones IMO.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Hold on a second. Presumably the minors are there to help any player selected with that pick. Whether it be Langeliers, Hunter, Carroll, Rutledge or Manoah. The question is which one can potentially improve the most with expert instruction. That's how I see it. I'm not arguing that Langeliers or any player is a finished product.
    Of course, but the player is already pretty solid comparatively to those guys. He isn’t a low ceiling player at all. It’s more high floor. He has pop and we have heard the data on the swing , so if that clicks you are looking at a pretty high ceiling as well.

The low ceiling projections from the negative nancies is overplayed.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    i think a floor of Austin Hedges isn't bad and i can see that. not much with the bat but his defense allows him to put up seasons of over 2 fWAR. plus he's only 26 and catchers are weird, so his bat could improve. need to be really patient with catchers, especially great defensive ones IMO.

Hedges probably profiled as a better defender, but lesser bat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Of course, but the player is already pretty solid comparatively to those guys. He isn’t a low ceiling player at all. It’s more high floor. He has pop and we have heard the data on the swing , so if that clicks you are looking at a pretty high ceiling as well.

The best case on Bishop is probably .260 40 HRs average defense in LF.

The best case on Langeliers is probably .270 20 HRs, top end defense at C.

One of those is a better bat, but not sure which is the better overall player. Depends on one's outlook and valuation of defense and position scarcity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Maybe the negative nancies are overplaying it. But I think there some alternatives at pick #9 who were generally seen as having a higher ceiling.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The best case on Bishop is probably .260 40 HRs average defense in LF.

The best case on Langeliers is probably .270 20 HRs, top end defense at C.

One of those is a better bat, but not sure which is the better overall player. Depends on one's outlook and valuation of defense and position scarcity.
    And also the likelihood of either reaching those levels.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    And also the likelihood of either reaching those levels.

Probably pretty low on both, like most prospects.

I know people around here got hard over Carroll for some reason (and to be fair, I probably liked Rutledge more than he actually deserved), but the draft really lacked a depth of players to dream on. There just were not a ton of guys after the first 6 or 7 that checked all the boxes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Maybe the negative nancies are overplaying it. But I think there some alternatives at pick #9 who were generally seen as having a higher ceiling.
    i mean i don't think anyone said Langeliers had the highest ceiling available. just that his ceiling is being undersold. i think you have to factor risk into it all and a guy like Bishop is super risky for me.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The downside for any player is bust. And college catchers with seemingly low downside taken in the first round also bust. Completely. Does the name Tony Sanchez ring a bell? That's part of the reason why in the first round you focus on ceiling not floor. The floor for any player is total bust, no matter how seemingly polished and advanced they may seem.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    The downside for any player is bust. And college catchers with seemingly low downside taken in the first round also bust. Completely. Does the name Tony Sanchez ring a bell? That's part of the reason why in the first round you focus on ceiling not floor. The floor for any player is total bust, no matter how seemingly polished and advanced they may seem.
    Maybe the braves don't see Lang and shewmake's ceiling as low as you do

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    correct. this is what i don't understand and have been saying. Langeliers' ceiling isn't nearly as low as people seem to think. and i don't think the 8 picks in front of Langeliers all went for highest possible upside. you simply have to factor in risk as well when picking in the top-10. risk is much lower than on someone like Bishop IMO and upside isn't much lower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    could be...and I hope they are right

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    correct. this is what i don't understand and have been saying. Langeliers' ceiling isn't nearly as low as people seem to think. and i don't think the 8 picks in front of Langeliers all went for highest possible upside. you simply have to factor in risk as well when picking in the top-10. risk is much lower than on someone like Bishop IMO and upside isn't much lower.
    the top 6 picks pretty much separated themselves in this draft...I don't think there is much doubt we would have taken any of them if they had dropped to #9

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    the top 6 picks pretty much separated themselves in this draft...I don't think there is much doubt we would have taken any of them if they had dropped to #9
    sure. i'm saying you could easily argue Bleday or Abrams have more upside than, say, Vaughn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    sure. i'm saying you could easily argue Bleday or Abrams have more upside than, say, Vaughn.
    At the risk of seemingly being inconsistent, while I think ceiling should be the main consideration in the first round, I've always thought floor can come into play more at the very top of the draft. The top 4 or 5 players. This is because at that end of the draft all the players have very high ceilings and it is reasonable to look at their floors too in trying to distinguish between them. And that kind of thought process might have tipped the scales toward Vaughn over Bleday and Abrams.

Obviously I don't have all the information the teams do, but for me the top 2 guys in this year's draft were Rutschman and Abrams.

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    At the risk of seemingly being inconsistent, while I think ceiling should be the main consideration in the first round, I've always thought floor can come into play more at the very top of the draft. The top 4 or 5 players. This is because at that end of the draft all the players have very high ceilings and it is reasonable to look at their floors too in trying to distinguish between them. And that kind of thought process might have tipped the scales toward Vaughn over Bleday and Abrams.

Obviously I don't have all the information the teams do, but for me the top 2 guys in this year's draft were Rutschman and Abrams.
    congratulations, you have made my argument for Langeliers for me lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    congratulations, you have made my argument for Langeliers for me lol
    actually I don't think so...I'm making a distinction between how my thought process works for the very top of the draft versus the rest of the first round

"I am your retribution."