Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Pierzynski

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    I watched 2006 and 2008 which were about as rough as 2013.

I'll watch just because I want to see Wood and Teheran grow into aces. And hopefully see Simmons develop into a hitter under Seitzer.
    Spend a lot of time watching other Wood grow do ya?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Would Pican'tspelltherestofhisname be more palatable if Heyward was still in the fold? I'm suspecting he would be to most. Granted his reputation earns much of this unhappy response, but I'm thinking Hart has lost many with just the Heyward move. Everything else will be seen through that prism.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I rooted for the Braves when they sucked in the late 2000s. I will not root for a team with AJ Pierzynski on it. Period, dude is a straight up dirty scumbag, I won't root for that or a team who pays for that.
    I hate DeAgnelo Hall, I didn't root against the Redskins when we signed him. You don't have to love every player your team has to be a fan. You also don't have to agree with every move. A diehard fan sticks by his team no matter what they do. I guess you aren't diehard.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here. This team is not going to be competitive this year so what difference does it make whether we have AJ or not? He won't be here in 2017 when they are trying to field a competitive roster.

This board continues to blow every signing way out of proportion. This isn't that big of a deal. I don't like him either but I don't hate the move, we can stomach one year can't we?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-25-2014), mfree80 (12-25-2014), Runnin (12-26-2014), thethe (12-25-2014)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I hate DeAgnelo Hall, I didn't root against the Redskins when we signed him. You don't have to love every player your team has to be a fan. You also don't have to agree with every move. A diehard fan sticks by his team no matter what they do. I guess you aren't diehard.
    I was the same way with Terrell Owens
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts

I'm not sure what the big deal is here. This team is not going to be competitive this year so what difference does it make whether we have AJ or not? He won't be here in 2017 when they are trying to field a competitive roster.

This board continues to blow every signing way out of proportion. This isn't that big of a deal. I don't like him either but I don't hate the move, we can stomach one year can't we?
    Questioning another person's fanhood is always always dumb. No one has any right how to tell some how to be a fan. A "diehard" fan doesn't have to give his team a dime when he thinks they've made bad moves on top of bad moves. If you care enough about a team to be so upset about what they've done then that seems pretty damn "diehard" to me. That would be like someone calling you a blind homer because you give an inept franchise money just because you feel like you have to.

Zito can express his fandom any way he feels is appropriate. Personally he Braves have always been my favorite team and I haven't missed a game on tv or at the park since 2002 but I'm incredibly frustrated with how this franchise is being run so the Braves are not on my to do list when the season starts. I'll check in on them but I won't be making it a point to watch every game for the first time in a long time. Feel free to guess that I'm not diehard either.
    Last edited by BremanFan88; 12-27-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-25-2014), Dalyn (12-25-2014), Gary82 (12-25-2014), Hawk (12-25-2014), jpx7 (12-25-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I was the same way with Terrell Owens
    At least that guy gave you all pro production on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    Questioning another person's fanhood is always always dumb. No one has any right how to tell some how to be a fan. A "diehard" fan doesn't have to give his team a dime when he thinks they've made bad moves on top of bad moves. If you care enough about a team to be so upset about what they've done then that's seems pretty damn "diehard" to me. That would be like someone calling you a blind homer because you give an inept franchise money just because you feel like you have to.

Zito can express his fandom any way he feels is appropriate. Personally he Braves have always been my favorite team and I haven't missed a game on tv or at the park since 2002 but I'm incredibly frustrated with how this franchise is being run so the Braves are not on my to do list when the season starts. I'll check in on them but I won't be making it a point to watch every game for the first time in a long time. Feel free to guess that I'm not diehard either.
    This is what happened to me last year and that is why I'm welcoming changes.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

DeAngelo Hall isn't Pierzynski. DeAngelo Hall wasn't voted the most hated player in the NFL. He was a bad player, and had some questionable off-field stuff, but he wasn't a scumbag.

As far as being a diehard, if you dont' want to call me one, I don't care. I'm not rooting for a team who signs this douchebag, I'll be back rooting for them next year, I'll root for the players I like, but the Braves as a team, don't really care. I know how much time, monetary investment, etc. I've put into the Braves. I'll still put that time into certain players I like a lot and probably focus more on the kids in the farm. I will not root for Pierzynski, you can question it, I don't care. He's a scumbag, no real good can come from him being on the team. Everywhere he goes, negativity follows, even when he was productive. Don't like him, won't root for him or a team he's on. And honestly, don't care what you or anyone else thinks.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-25-2014), Dalyn (12-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is what happened to me last year and that is why I'm welcoming changes.
    Yeah curse having a good team, lets instead gut the most marketable player on our team, trade all of our power but Freeman, and sign ****ty veterans, including the most hated man in baseball. What a great thing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    How can you call yourself a fan of a team when you say you won't pull for them? So you are a Braves fan but you want them to lose because they sign a player you don't like? That's basically what Zito is saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Yeah curse having a good team, lets instead gut the most marketable player on our team, trade all of our power but Freeman, and sign ****ty veterans, including the most hated man in baseball. What a great thing!
    They are trying to be good in a couple of years and rebuild the farm system. They were not going to resign Heyward or Upton so they used them to try and be good a couple of years from now. That's obviously the plan, it's not that hard to see what they are doing.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

trying to somehow be positive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    They were a good team before the trades? Not how I saw it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (12-25-2014), Heyward (12-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    How can you call yourself a fan of a team when you say you won't pull for them? So you are a Braves fan but you want them to lose because they sign a player you don't like? That's basically what Zito is saying.
    Not liking is a soft word. I despise AJ Pierzynski. To me he embodies what's wrong with baseball in so many ways. He's a cheat, a liar, and dirty. I can tolerate issues, I can't tolerate Pierzynski. I wish nothing but ill will towards him, and since the Braved decided to employ him instead of letting him rot, the Braves are bearing my ill will as well. I wish I could make a comparison, but there is no other comparison. Even guys with offfield and lockerroom issues like say TO, wasn't dirty. Or you had dirty guys like Runyan who were great teammates. Pierzynski is that, but he isn't all-pro, he's a freaking stiff. Worst kind of person. I'd say many more unkind words about him, but I elect to remain slightly civil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    They are trying to be good in a couple of years and rebuild the farm system. They were not going to resign Heyward or Upton so they used them to try and be good a couple of years from now. That's obviously the plan, it's not that hard to see what they are doing.
    Trying to be good in a couple years vs competing for the playoffs now. I would have taken the latter. Especially considering the gutting that happened to the Giants offensively. They could have re-signed one of Jason or Justin, they chose not to, that's my issue,w e have the money to pay 2 stars, Freddie is star one, and they chose not to pay star 2, instead they're seemingly gonna go with the expensive but not ace staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Heyward was not a star, actually not even close to being one. He's a great defender that was an average hitter. Upton was a bad defender who hit a lot of homeruns. I wouldn't call him a star either. I'd rather spread out the money instead of giving it to 2 players. Build a team that can win instead of trying to sell tickets with marketable players who ultimately don't help you win. They could have kept them and tried to be competitive this year but it would have been the same result as last year. The product Wren put on the field didn't work so Hart is breaking it up and trying a different combination.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Runnin (12-25-2014), thethe (12-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Not liking is a soft word. I despise AJ Pierzynski. To me he embodies what's wrong with baseball in so many ways. He's a cheat, a liar, and dirty. I can tolerate issues, I can't tolerate Pierzynski. I wish nothing but ill will towards him, and since the Braved decided to employ him instead of letting him rot, the Braves are bearing my ill will as well. I wish I could make a comparison, but there is no other comparison. Even guys with offfield and lockerroom issues like say TO, wasn't dirty. Or you had dirty guys like Runyan who were great teammates. Pierzynski is that, but he isn't all-pro, he's a freaking stiff. Worst kind of person. I'd say many more unkind words about him, but I elect to remain slightly civil.
    I enjoy how you act like you know him personally...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    So I guess Freddie isn't a star either? What the hell if your definition of star? is Mike Trout the only star in baseball?

ANd in what reality to Jason or Justin not help this team win? They were 2 of our 3 best players. We're gonna trade our 4th best player too. We're nuking the team of all it's positional talent. We're boned for the coming years. You think 2017, I think 2020. We have no one coming along the pipeline but pitchers, and after we trade gattis we have 1 star, 1 very good player (Simmons) and trash for the foreseeable future. Peraza could be a very good player, but he has lots of question marks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Trying to be good in a couple years vs competing for the playoffs now. I would have taken the latter. Especially considering the gutting that happened to the Giants offensively. They could have re-signed one of Jason or Justin, they chose not to, that's my issue,w e have the money to pay 2 stars, Freddie is star one, and they chose not to pay star 2, instead they're seemingly gonna go with the expensive but not ace staff.
    Good lord your view of Heyward is so over the top its not even funny... have to agree with Matt... Heyward is nowhere near a star right now. Take off the Heywad goggles man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Heyward was not a star, actually not even close to being one. He's a great defender that was an average hitter. Upton was a bad defender who hit a lot of homeruns. I wouldn't call him a star either. I'd rather spread out the money instead of giving it to 2 players. Build a team that can win instead of trying to sell tickets with marketable players who ultimately don't help you win. They could have kept them and tried to be competitive this year but it would have been the same result as last year. The product Wren put on the field didn't work so Hart is breaking it up and trying a different combination.
    Sorry, in this day and age with offense down... Justin is most definitely a star and its not really close. Agree on Hewyard though.