It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Which Trade Would You Take Back

Of the trades made under Hart/Coppy, which trade would you take back

April 5, 2015:
    Traded Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton to the San Diego Padres. Received Jordan Paroubeck (minors), Cameron Maybin, Carlos Quentin, Matt Wisler and 2015 competitive balance round A pick.

July 30, 2015
    As part of a 3-team trade, traded Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilan, Jim Johnson, Jose Peraza and Alex Wood to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Zachary Bird (minors), Hector Olivera and Paco Rodriguez from the Los Angeles Dodgers and 2016 competitive balance round A pick from the Miami Marlins. In addition, the Los Angeles Dodgers sent Victor Araujo (minors), Jeff Brigham (minors) and Kevin Guzman (minors) to the Miami Marlins; and the Miami Marlins sent Mat Latos and Mike Morse to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

August 7, 2015
    Traded Chris Johnson to the Cleveland Indians. Received Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher and cash.

November 12, 2015
    Traded Jose Briceno (minors) and Andrelton Simmons to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Received Chris Ellis (minors), Erick Aybar, Sean Newcomb and cash.

July 30, 2016
    Traded Hector Olivera to the San Diego Padres. Received Matt Kemp and cash.

I personally lean to the HO original trade.....but looking back on it, I really hated to give up Simmons....
    Get off my lawn!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-05-2018), jpx7 (03-05-2018), UNCBlue012 (03-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Well, I wouldn't have signed CJ to that deal based on a BABIP fueled batting title, so that trade wouldn't have been an option if I were in charge. That trade also wasn't very bad...at all.

The clear killer was the original HO trade. It directly led to the first Kemp trade, which led to the most recent Kemp trade. Spending that extra money this year to dump Kemp is directly responsible for the Braves not being able to take advantage of the bargain FA's this off season to build a WC contender.

The Newk and Simmons trades were bad, but they weren't killers like the HO trade ended up being.

All of those bad trades share one common moronic goal and thought process: winning in 2017.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-05-2018 at 02:22 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (03-05-2018), Horsehide Harry (03-05-2018), Jaw (03-05-2018), jpx7 (03-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    In the end, losing Simmons will have cost us the most IMO. But the HO trade is as bad as it gets too.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-05-2018), jpx7 (03-05-2018), UNCBlue012 (03-06-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Definitely the first Olivera trade. As much as it sucks that we don't have Simmons, at least it made some semblance of sense. The Olivera deal was bad from the start both in value and in roster construction.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Miatan for hotel rooms and cars

Wren for Hart.
    Coppy

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-05-2018), UNCBlue012 (03-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Agreed that the HO first trade set this rebuild back a few years. But the Simmons deal is just as frustrating....

If we had kept him, what kind of package could we have gotten for him later that season, or the next?

Would we have still made the Shelby Miller deal to get Swanson afterwords? Doubtful. But if we had an infield with Simmons and Albies or Swanson, would be we in a better spot now? Especially with AA wanting to emphasize defense.

And can't forget, that the main piece of that deal was Newk. Aybar was a stop gap, traded later that season, and Ellis was gone before the first season was over as well. Newk has potential, but has still yet to learn how to command the ball. That was known about him before the trade was made. He was the number 1 prospect, for an Angels team that had ZERO talent in the minors at the time if im not mistaken.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The original Olivera deal sucked so bad both because we lost Wood and because we got Olivera. Either of those things hurt, together they really are a huge loss. Trades just don't get much worse.

I'll go with the Simmons deal anyway, simply because he's the best defensive player an entire generation will see. He made me want to watch, even when we were losing badly, and we've really needed that kind of draw over the past few years.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Olivera. One of the 5 worst trades in franchise history. Monumentally dumb.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Olivera. One of the 5 worst trades in franchise history. Monumentally dumb.
    I'd call it one of the 5 worst trades in the past 20 years or so. It was Kazmir for Zambrano bad. It was Mariners trading the farm for Erik Bedard bad. It was Meyer for Hudson bad. It was so clearly a loss for us that the entirety of the upside of the trade was Olivera bucking his early minor league returns to become a good hitter who has no defensive position because he can't field. Upside for that trade is something like a very very very poor man's Ryan Braun. Or best case scenario like Eddie Rosario.

And I'm not talking about bad trades in trades that didn't work out at all. Like the Bautista for Diaz trade, where Bautista was 27 year old with 1600 MLB PA of well below average production who went to Toronto worked with a coach and changed his swing and became a perennial MVP candidate. Those trades aren't fair to call bad because you're trading a likely failed asset who broke the mold.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'd call it one of the 5 worst trades in the past 20 years or so. It was Kazmir for Zambrano bad. It was Mariners trading the farm for Erik Bedard bad. It was Meyer for Hudson bad. It was so clearly a loss for us that the entirety of the upside of the trade was Olivera bucking his early minor league returns to become a good hitter who has no defensive position because he can't field. Upside for that trade is something like a very very very poor man's Ryan Braun. Or best case scenario like Eddie Rosario.

And I'm not talking about bad trades in trades that didn't work out at all. Like the Bautista for Diaz trade, where Bautista was 27 year old with 1600 MLB PA of well below average production who went to Toronto worked with a coach and changed his swing and became a perennial MVP candidate. Those trades aren't fair to call bad because you're trading a likely failed asset who broke the mold.
    Due to current team construction and circumstances it could easily be argued as worse than those. At least these other failed trades were for the most part congruent with team direction. Us, at the early stages of a rebuild, trading young semi proven talent for old expensive unknowns never made any sense at all.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Of the trades made under Hart/Coppy, which trade would you take back

April 5, 2015:
    Traded Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton to the San Diego Padres. Received Jordan Paroubeck (minors), Cameron Maybin, Carlos Quentin, Matt Wisler and 2015 competitive balance round A pick.

July 30, 2015
    As part of a 3-team trade, traded Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilan, Jim Johnson, Jose Peraza and Alex Wood to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Zachary Bird (minors), Hector Olivera and Paco Rodriguez from the Los Angeles Dodgers and 2016 competitive balance round A pick from the Miami Marlins. In addition, the Los Angeles Dodgers sent Victor Araujo (minors), Jeff Brigham (minors) and Kevin Guzman (minors) to the Miami Marlins; and the Miami Marlins sent Mat Latos and Mike Morse to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

August 7, 2015
    Traded Chris Johnson to the Cleveland Indians. Received Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher and cash.

November 12, 2015
    Traded Jose Briceno (minors) and Andrelton Simmons to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Received Chris Ellis (minors), Erick Aybar, Sean Newcomb and cash.

July 30, 2016
    Traded Hector Olivera to the San Diego Padres. Received Matt Kemp and cash.

I personally lean to the HO original trade.....but looking back on it, I really hated to give up Simmons....
    All.

Some were less bad than others but none were very good for the Braves and it was largely because the Braves FO believed they could "reload" instead of "rebuild."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Olivera. Should have gotten a top 50 prospect for Arroyo.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (03-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    The Olivera trade is one of those rare cases where everyone from fans to baseball experts knew it was a bad trade as soon as it was made. That’s how bad it was. A true “WTF were they thinking?” moment.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Simmons. I know the Olivera trade is worse given that we didn't even get zero value from the deal (we got negative value). But Simmons could legitimately be considered for HOF based on defense alone. And Simba was probably my favorite player after Kimbrell got traded. Newk will have to end up being a No. 2 or better to justify that trade.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (03-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    The Olivera trade and Simmons trade.

I was REALLY high on Alex Wood, so I've been salty for a few years on that one, but trading Peraza was just dumb. I don't know whether he'd be part of our plans, but he would have been a great trade commodity as well.

And Simmons... I just miss him. I think Newk could be a really solid major league pitcher one day, but Simmons was special. And of course, he can play offense now.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-06-2018), jpx7 (03-07-2018)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    The Olivera trade is the obvious one. But I’d like to re-do the Kimbrel deal without tethering BJ’s contract to Kimbrel.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-06-2018), jpx7 (03-07-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Murphy for Jeff Parrett and Jim Vatcher.

Murph should have never worn another uniform.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

zedsdead (03-06-2018)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The Olivera trade is the obvious one. But I’d like to re-do the Kimbrel deal without tethering BJ’s contract to Kimbrel.
    YEah, especially since part of that tether was Quentin's dump contract which IIRC wiped out our savings of first year of BJ?

Look at what the Padres got back for Kimbrel with 1 less year of control and coming off a bad (for him) year.

Margot is a far superior prospect to Wisler, Allen is not as talented as Wisler, but he isn't that far behind. If we could have done Kimbrel for Wisler, Renfroe, Hedges and a garbage player, just not signed Markakis. We would have spent less money I believe (again as I recall Quentin and Upton were a relative push so year one we really didn't save any money, especially with Maybin's salary involved) and we would have been a better team long term. Just see if Upton can amount to anything. If he didn't we could have cut him just like the Jays did.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Olivera trade is the most blatant goof, but I wonder what we could have gotten back from the Angels had we not taken Aybar in the Simmons deal. That's another example like the attachment of Melvin to Kimbrel that diminished the long-term value of the deal.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-07-2018)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    For me it's both Kimbrel and Simmons, but not because we traded them but because in my opinion the prospects haven't panned out. I was always OK with blowing team up but thought Hart and company didn't do a good job getting value in return with many of our trades. Even the Folty trade hasn't been a win. Our team has an amazing future and amazing prospects but most came from international signings and draft. We did a piss poor job with trades. Only Inciarte and Gohara have turned out to be a home runs (Gohara a double so far). That's a pretty bad track record. Jury is still out on Newt, Fried and Damsby of the high profile guys (I'm not couting Touki, etc trades). Wisler was a bust.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Twilo73 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-07-2018)