Thread: Newk to open season

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

Newk to open season

in rotation. It's official now!!

Left-hander Sean Newcomb will open the year in the Braves’ rotation, Gabriel Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes. He’ll be part of a quintet that should also include Julio Teheran, Brandon McCarthy and Mike Foltynewicz, though it’s not yet clear who will occupy the fifth spot. The 24-year-old Newcomb debuted in the majors last season and recorded a 4.32 ERA/4.19 FIP across 100 innings, also posting a promising K/9 (9.72) but a troubling BB/9 (5.13). Braves manager Brian Snitker is impressed with the progress Newcomb has made since last year, saying: “Amazing where he’s at to me right now from where he was a year ago. How much improvement that guy’s made. The confidence, his mound presence, the competitiveness, the whole thing from a year ago today. It’s so much better.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I had no idea this was even a question

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think there was some question as to whether Kaz or Newk would be the #4. I guess this means Kaz is the long man in the BP until they need him to start on the 10th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Kazmir will be the 8th guy in the pen until the 10th.

I'm guessing the other 7 will be Vizcaino, Minter, Freeman, Ramirez, Winkler, Moylan and Gomez.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

I'm guessing the other 7 will be Vizcaino, Minter, Freeman, Ramirez, Winkler, Moylan and Gomez.
    When is Lindgren expected back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When is Lindgren expected back?
    Not for a while. He is a candidate for the 60-day DL.

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Guessing they don’t think showcasing Kazmir will do too much to increase the likelihood of him being traded. I’m guessing he is traded with 95% of his salary eaten to someone like the Mariners or released in the next month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Gohara is reported to be ahead of schedule recovering from the ankle injury. Will probably still need most of April to get the arm in shape.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

The same 8 I have projected.

Gomez' outing yesterday gives me a little pause, but as long as he gives them a few good innings before the end of camp it's hard to believe they're not sold on the upside - especially since this is the year to try to develop as much upside as possible. Have to think that we see Soroka for a few starts before the end of the season as well since they're trying to answer as many questions as possible before opening the checkbook next winter.

I think Freeman's going to be a really interesting guy to watch as an extension candidate along with Vizcaino this season. With Minter under control for awhile, locking those two up could give you a pretty strong back-end relatively cheaply.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The same 8 I have projected.

Gomez' outing yesterday gives me a little pause, but as long as he gives them a few good innings before the end of camp it's hard to believe they're not sold on the upside - especially since this is the year to try to develop as much upside as possible. Have to think that we see Soroka for a few starts before the end of the season as well since they're trying to answer as many questions as possible before opening the checkbook next winter.

I think Freeman's going to be a really interesting guy to watch as an extension candidate along with Vizcaino this season. With Minter under control for awhile, locking those two up could give you a pretty strong back-end relatively cheaply.
    Corbin clouse will be knocking on the door soon

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quick poll:

Sam Freeman is a BP arm who is already controlled through his age 33 season. Who thinks he is an extension candidate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Quick poll:

Sam Freeman is a BP arm who is already controlled through his age 33 season. Who thinks he is an extension candidate?
    I laughed.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I laughed.
    Because all extensions are about adding years?

Making some of these players cost-controlled isn't the worst thing when compared to going to arbitration with them - especially the ones you can lock-up inexpensively. If you can set their salaries where you're comfortable with them it's not a bad idea. 4 years for $8-$10 million if he has another good year certainly gives you more flexibility than going to arbitration and paying him what middle relievers received this year.

Ask Folty about that arbitration enjoyment.

(Obviously they're not the same player, but the number-crunching Astros appear to have done pretty well with their initial Altuve extension. Making sure you KNOW what players' salaries are going to be makes plenty of sense - even if you don't get their free-agent years as part of the deals. I'd imagine AA would love to know how much Acuna and Albies are going to be making 3-4 years from now when he starts writing checks next winter.)
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-18-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Because all extensions are about adding years?

Making some of these players cost-controlled isn't the worst thing when compared to going to arbitration with them - especially the ones you can lock-up inexpensively. If you can set their salaries where you're comfortable with them it's not a bad idea. 4 years for $8-$10 million if he has another good year certainly gives you more flexibility than going to arbitration and paying him what middle relievers received this year.

Ask Folty about that arbitration enjoyment.

(Obviously they're not the same player, but the number-crunching Astros appear to have done pretty well with their initial Altuve extension. Making sure you KNOW what players' salaries are going to be makes plenty of sense - even if you don't get their free-agent years as part of the deals. I'd imagine AA would love to know how much Acuna and Albies are going to be making 3-4 years from now when he starts writing checks next winter.)
    His arm could explode next week and we’d be locked into an extension. Cmon dude
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    You could just do series of one year deals to avoid arb hearings instead of an extenting him long term. Don’t assume the risk if you don’t have to. I don’t see much benefit in a long term deal with a middle reliever coming the end of his prime.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    4 years for $8-$10 million if he has another good year certainly gives you more flexibility than going to arbitration and paying him what middle relievers received this year.
    Let this comment sink in for a second...

Being able to non-tender a BP arm that’s already in his 30s that will make, at most, $5M-$6M in the next 2 seasons is about as flexible as a scenario can be.

Yet somehow, locking him in with a guaranteed 4 year deal provides the team with MORE flexibility?

Quick poll:

Who thinks giving a controlled player guaranteed money adds flexibility?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Let this comment sink in for a second...

Being able to non-tender a BP arm that’s already in his 30s that will make, at most, $5M-$6M in the next 2 seasons is about as flexible as a scenario can be.

Yet somehow, locking him in with a guaranteed 4 year deal provides the team with MORE flexibility?

Quick poll:

Who thinks giving a controlled player guaranteed money adds flexibility?
    Signing Chris Johnson to an extension provided Braves with the flexibility to fire their GM to install a banana republic.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-19-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (03-19-2018), Tapate50 (03-18-2018), The Chosen One (04-24-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Signing Chris Johnson to an extension provided Braves with the flexibility to fire their GM to install a banana republic.
    Well to be fair to clvderpclv, extending Freeman isn’t quite as bad an idea as extending CJ was haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quick poll:

Lololololol... oh clv... at least with thethe it's unabashed optimism and fandom... clv it's just... I don't know what it is...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Lololololol... oh clv... at least with thethe it's unabashed optimism and fandom... clv it's just... I don't know what it is...
    It would really be okay to just disagree with someone without mockery and ridicule. The board would be a much more civil place.