Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018: The Year Of The Venezuelan Trout

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Considering Snit was exposed to zero advanced data under the old FO, it is a fact the Braves had fallen behind in that aspect of the game.

It makes it hard to judge Snit harshly when he wasn't given the tools to do his job properly. It was like sending a kid to dynamics class without a calculator.
    His job is to put his players in the best position to succeed, and he can't even go to Fangraphs for half an hour and figure some of this out?

I get that the FO should have been giving it to him, no question. But it is his job at the end of the day.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Acuna goes yard today. Currently 1\2 hitting .424

Hard not to get excited about this kid.

he's probably not going to hit .424 during the season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    he's probably not going to hit .424 during the season.
    Are you sure???

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (03-13-2018)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Ronald goes 1-3 with a HR and 0 strikeouts.

K% down to 17%

HR was off Aaron Sanchez.

Enscheff is probably as scared as my mother when she watches The Exorcist.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I've also long suspected that they have fallen behind in terms of information given to managers when it comes to managing the bullpen and pinch hitters on the bench to optimize matchup advantages. We'll get a better idea this season. It is an interesting controlled experiment. Same manager. Many of the same relievers. Different information inputs.

One thing I already like. They got Moylan to be a ROOGY. I'v always thought having a ROOGY made more sense than having a LOOGY in the pen, given the predominance of right-handed hitters.
    There's a reason that the LOOGY is more effective than the ROOGY. League stats from the last 5 years, wRC+ range of a low of 78 to a high of 84 on the lefty vs. lefty, on righty vs. righty it's a low of 90 and a high of 93. There are a number of potential reasons this happens but the common belief is that with so few good left handed pitchers in the world most players see one or 2 a season until they hit college or the pros. And the reason a righty can hit a righty so much better is because a righty has an advantage on seeign the release point.

Though there is value to a submariner in Moylan because of his wonky delivery.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    You do if you lack good instincts
    I don't think there's anything really wrong with Snitker's instincts. He's been around the game forever. I just think he's a push-button guy who was a players' manager to the nth degree. Snitker probably thought Kemp would have been offended if he had been removed for defensive purposes. Guys like Snitker--who stalled out at AAA--sometimes tend to worship the ability of front-line guys and don't see their warts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    There's a reason that the LOOGY is more effective than the ROOGY. League stats from the last 5 years, wRC+ range of a low of 78 to a high of 84 on the lefty vs. lefty, on righty vs. righty it's a low of 90 and a high of 93. There are a number of potential reasons this happens but the common belief is that with so few good left handed pitchers in the world most players see one or 2 a season until they hit college or the pros. And the reason a righty can hit a righty so much better is because a righty has an advantage on seeign the release point.

Though there is value to a submariner in Moylan because of his wonky delivery.
    I think your last sentence has the effect of subverting everything you wrote before it. The standard righty righty stats are pretty irrelevant when it comes to Moylan.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-13-2018), jpx7 (03-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think your last sentence has the effect of subverting everything you wrote before it. The standard righty righty stats are pretty irrelevant when it comes to Moylan.
    It does to a point because Moylan is a bit of an anomaly as someone with comparable stuff to him would not be able to get by from over the top or 3/4. But he's more of an exception. Less of a rule.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Acuna is such a stud, my god.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Heyward pretty hyped up, but Acuna might have more hyped up.

Some people are putting crazy projections about him but this dude is ****ing insane. I just hope AA can find a way to extend him and buy out a FA year or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Heyward pretty hyped up, but Acuna might have more hyped up.
    Heyward was the number 1 prospect at 20, Acuna the number 1 at 20. There is a bit of a difference between the 2 of them, but both were incredibly high rated prospects. Heyward was a legit 5 tool prospect.

Difference was the year before top. 2017 he was 67 on BA and 31 on BP. Conversely though Heyward in 08 was 28 and 36 respectively. 2009 he was 5 and 10 and then 2010 he was 1 and 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It’s so rare to see, but the game looks so natural and easy for Acuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Heyward was the number 1 prospect at 20, Acuna the number 1 at 20. There is a bit of a difference between the 2 of them, but both were incredibly high rated prospects. Heyward was a legit 5 tool prospect.

Difference was the year before top. 2017 he was 67 on BA and 31 on BP. Conversely though Heyward in 08 was 28 and 36 respectively. 2009 he was 5 and 10 and then 2010 he was 1 and 2.
    Acuna is also a legit 5 tool prospect with louder power and speed tools. Heyward had a better hit tool as a prospect and maybe defense but it's pretty close there. I think Acuna is more hyped and has deserved it but it's not by much.

I also feel like Acuna has started translating the raw talent to the field easier and quicker than Heyward.

When Heyward was a prospect I think the top tier of MLB prospects was a bit more diluted than now when the top tier of prospect hitters is pretty loaded.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 03-18-2018 at 07:26 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Acuna is also a legit 5 tool prospect with louder power and speed tools. Heyward had a better hit tool as a prospect and maybe defense but it's pretty close there. I think Acuna is more hyped and has deserved it but it's not by much.

I also feel like Acuna has started translating the raw talent to the field easier and quicker than Heyward.

When Heyward was a prospect I think the top tier of MLB prospects was a bit more diluted than now when the top tier of prospect hitters is pretty loaded.
    Heyward was a prospect with with Stanton and Harper

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Yeah, don’t quite understand the revisionist history either Heyward that’s going on here. JH was getting Hank Aaron comps when he came up.

Acuna is probably similarly heralded as JH, which is an enormous compliment since JH was one of the best prospects of the past 20 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Heyward was a prospect with with Stanton and Harper
    But those were really the only other two. I just feel like the top prospects are a lot deeper now. I'm not revising anything about Heyward. He was a huge prospect with plenty of hype. The difference is negligible... for sure. I just feel more confidence with Acuna than I remember having in Heyward. But I have also watched Acuna in the minors a lot more than I did than Heyward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Strasburg, Stanton, Montero, Matusz, Posey, Jennings, Alvarez, Feliz, and Santana rounded out the 2010 top 10, 2009 was a relatively weak class with Wieters, Price, Rasmus, Hanson, Snider, Anderson, Maybin, Bumgarner, and Feliz rounding it out.

Of course you can look at the list and laugh because Montero, Matusz, Jennings, Alvarez, and Feliz never really shook out. But that's the risk with prospects. Sometimes things derail their career. Heyward was on his way to an amazing career before his horrific face injury. Honestly, if the worst case for Acuna is to have the same value as Heyward, I would flip my ****. On his rookie contract (which will likely be 1 year shorter than Acuna's) Heyward compiled about a 28 fWAR. If we get that from Acuna everyone should be so happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Heyward was an all time prospect and followed it up by having one of the best age 20 seasons in history. Not everything needs to be a slight on jhey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    NEVER FORGET:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Strasburg, Stanton, Montero, Matusz, Posey, Jennings, Alvarez, Feliz, and Santana rounded out the 2010 top 10, 2009 was a relatively weak class with Wieters, Price, Rasmus, Hanson, Snider, Anderson, Maybin, Bumgarner, and Feliz rounding it out.

Of course you can look at the list and laugh because Montero, Matusz, Jennings, Alvarez, and Feliz never really shook out. But that's the risk with prospects. Sometimes things derail their career. Heyward was on his way to an amazing career before his horrific face injury. Honestly, if the worst case for Acuna is to have the same value as Heyward, I would flip my ****. On his rookie contract (which will likely be 1 year shorter than Acuna's) Heyward compiled about a 28 fWAR. If we get that from Acuna everyone should be so happy.
    You always want to avoid the horrific face injury.