Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    They are trying to be good in a couple of years and rebuild the farm system. They were not going to resign Heyward or Upton so they used them to try and be good a couple of years from now. That's obviously the plan, it's not that hard to see what they are doing.
    Trying to be good in a couple years vs competing for the playoffs now. I would have taken the latter. Especially considering the gutting that happened to the Giants offensively. They could have re-signed one of Jason or Justin, they chose not to, that's my issue,w e have the money to pay 2 stars, Freddie is star one, and they chose not to pay star 2, instead they're seemingly gonna go with the expensive but not ace staff.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Heyward was not a star, actually not even close to being one. He's a great defender that was an average hitter. Upton was a bad defender who hit a lot of homeruns. I wouldn't call him a star either. I'd rather spread out the money instead of giving it to 2 players. Build a team that can win instead of trying to sell tickets with marketable players who ultimately don't help you win. They could have kept them and tried to be competitive this year but it would have been the same result as last year. The product Wren put on the field didn't work so Hart is breaking it up and trying a different combination.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Runnin (12-25-2014), thethe (12-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    So I guess Freddie isn't a star either? What the hell if your definition of star? is Mike Trout the only star in baseball?

ANd in what reality to Jason or Justin not help this team win? They were 2 of our 3 best players. We're gonna trade our 4th best player too. We're nuking the team of all it's positional talent. We're boned for the coming years. You think 2017, I think 2020. We have no one coming along the pipeline but pitchers, and after we trade gattis we have 1 star, 1 very good player (Simmons) and trash for the foreseeable future. Peraza could be a very good player, but he has lots of question marks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Heyward was not a star, actually not even close to being one. He's a great defender that was an average hitter. Upton was a bad defender who hit a lot of homeruns. I wouldn't call him a star either. I'd rather spread out the money instead of giving it to 2 players. Build a team that can win instead of trying to sell tickets with marketable players who ultimately don't help you win. They could have kept them and tried to be competitive this year but it would have been the same result as last year. The product Wren put on the field didn't work so Hart is breaking it up and trying a different combination.
    Sorry, in this day and age with offense down... Justin is most definitely a star and its not really close. Agree on Hewyard though.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    A star to me describes elite level production. I think the word is over used honestly. Very good players should not be referred to as stars in my opinion. In any event it doesn't matter, keeping one or both of them wouldn't have made us World Series contenders this year, it probably wouldn't have even led to a division title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    A star to me describes elite level production. I think the word is over used honestly. Very good players should not be referred to as stars in my opinion. In any event it doesn't matter, keeping one or both of them wouldn't have made us World Series contenders this year, it probably wouldn't have even led to a division title.
    I believe Justin is elite... Heyward, no.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I believe Justin is elite... Heyward, no.
    Justin was a better power hitter at this point but that is the only thing he done better than Heyward and its not even close. I will take 17 less home runs and 73 less strike outs and a top 3 MLB defensive outfielder in Heyward over a average fielder at best defensivly in Upton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Trying to be good in a couple years vs competing for the playoffs now. I would have taken the latter. Especially considering the gutting that happened to the Giants offensively. They could have re-signed one of Jason or Justin, they chose not to, that's my issue,w e have the money to pay 2 stars, Freddie is star one, and they chose not to pay star 2, instead they're seemingly gonna go with the expensive but not ace staff.
    Good lord your view of Heyward is so over the top its not even funny... have to agree with Matt... Heyward is nowhere near a star right now. Take off the Heywad goggles man.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    How do you know they didnt try to pay any of them?

Did you talk with Hart, their agents.

Justin said it was unlikely he'd re-sign before the season, and it would take alot of dough to re-sign both.

Still love Heyward but offensively he is not a star. Defensively, yes. Worth 200+ million, thats debateable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    You can take them to FA and outpay them.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    You can take them to FA and outpay them.
    We arent getting to bidding wars with the big markets.