Thread: 2015 June Draft Results Thread

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Do we like Keith Law now? I bet he's become a much more knowledgable person now that he praised us.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Of course but when yiu have residual impact from the aforementioned scouting powerhouse then I would hope you can build a good team. Wren and his staff made a bunch of good moves but we're given a great talent base from which to start.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of the players we had/have from the Wren era?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Do we like Keith Law now? I bet he's become a much more knowledgable person now that he praised us.
    LOL my thoughts exactly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-10-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I've always liked Law. The man may not always be right, but he definitely doesn't adhere to group think.

He was absolutely correct when he led the charge against Atlanta's string of low ceiling drafts (post Heyward). And aside from a surprise here and there he's been absolutely on the money with that criticism.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2015), Julio3000 (06-10-2015), Tapate50 (06-10-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of the players we had/have from the Wren era?
    Wren had his successes in the trading game, but his successes definitely were not due to our drafts. We had consistently terrible drafts and took low ceiling signability picks. Our sole successful first round pick was Mike Minor and that was thanks to a surprise velo spike that caught even the Braves off guard.

Sure he drafted Simmons, Kimbrel, and Gattis, but I don't know if we should lay a ton praise at them for closing their eyes and swinging real hard in the latter rounds.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I've always liked Law. The man may not always be right, but he definitely doesn't adhere to group think.

He was absolutely correct when he led the charge against Atlanta's string of low ceiling drafts (post Heyward). And aside from a surprise here and there he's been absolutely on the money with that criticism.

I know you are reasonable. I like Laws info though he does come of as a douchebag. But, he was almost universally hated on here. In particular bc of comments about Freeman and Minor. (among other comments)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Wren had his successes in the trading game, but his successes definitely were not due to our drafts. We had consistently terrible drafts and took low ceiling signability picks. Our sole successful first round pick was Mike Minor and that was thanks to a surprise velo spike that caught even the Braves off guard.

Sure he drafted Simmons, Kimbrel, and Gattis, but I don't know if we should lay a ton praise at them for closing their eyes and swinging real hard in the latter rounds.
    Well the first round picks were definitely bad... no doubt about it. But he was also the guy for the Julio signing... Alex Wood, Minor, Medlen, Beachy, Kimbrel, Hanson, etc. He also snagged us Gattis & Simmons... not to mention many of the folks we used in trades that you graded very well.

Lastly, he was the number 2 guy for a while, including the 07 draft of Heyward and Freeman. Although - for some reason I want to say we could have Stanton in that one too... darn.

Point is... his drafts developed a lot ML talent... and good talent at that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Of course but when yiu have residual impact from the aforementioned scouting powerhouse then I would hope you can build a good team. Wren and his staff made a bunch of good moves but we're given a great talent base from which to start.
    So you're happy now with a mediocre team than our power house teams of the past?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I know you are reasonable. I like Laws info though he does come of as a douchebag. But, he was almost universally hated on here. In particular bc of comments about Freeman and Minor. (among other comments)
    I remember those days vividly. I don't think he liked Teheran as much as Arodys and Delgado which was lighting rod of hate for many.

Just because fans are irrational didn't discredit his analysis. Our drafts sucked. To think we tried to talk ourselves into Sean Gilmartin as a good pick because he was a sure thing #5 starter that would move quickly. Bleh.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I remember those days vividly. I don't think he liked Teheran as much as Arodys and Delgado which was lighting rod of hate for many.

Just because fans are irrational didn't discredit his analysis. Our drafts sucked. To think we tried to talk ourselves into Sean Gilmartin as a good pick because he was a sure thing #5 starter that would move quickly. Bleh.
    I wasn't discrediting anything. Just making light of people now USING his analysis to make them feel warm inside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    He did go out of his way to compliment the string of RHP we took at the end of yesterday that we merry folk on this board all were disappointed about (myself included).
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Well the first round picks were definitely bad... no doubt about it. But he was also the guy for the Julio signing... Alex Wood, Minor, Medlen, Beachy, Kimbrel, Hanson, etc. He also snagged us Gattis & Simmons... not to mention many of the folks we used in trades that you graded very well.

Lastly, he was the number 2 guy for a while, including the 07 draft of Heyward and Freeman. Although - for some reason I want to say we could have Stanton in that one too... darn.

Point is... his drafts developed a lot ML talent... and good talent at that
    Frank had nothing to do with a few of those guys you listed.

Tommy was drafted in 2005
    Medlen 2006
    Julio signed in 2006

Frank came on the job in 2007. I don't care to give the assistant GM that much praise (especially when he was definitely 3rd fiddle to Dayton). I'm sure he was a good advisor. He seems like a smart guy. He was just a ****ty leader.

If you want give him credit for Beachy and Gattis. That's fine, although that's more blind luck than anything. His scouting departments do deserve some praise for Kimbrel (2008 which was a Roy Clark draft), Simmons, and Wood. I also liked last year's class a lot and Albies should eventually be added to that list.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I wasn't discrediting anything. Just making light of people now USING his analysis to make them feel warm inside.
    To give them credit, they are retroactively using his analysis to shame Hart's predecessor. Haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Frank had nothing to do with a few of those guys you listed.

Tommy was drafted in 2005
    Medlen 2006
    Julio signed in 2006

Frank came on the job in 2007. I don't care to give the assistant GM that much praise (especially when he was definitely 3rd fiddle to Dayton). I'm sure he was a good advisor. He seems like a smart guy. He was just a ****ty leader.

If you want give him credit for Beachy and Gattis. That's fine, although that's more blind luck than anything. His scouting departments do deserve some praise for Kimbrel (2008 which was a Roy Clark draft), Simmons, and Wood. I also liked last year's class a lot and Albies should eventually be added to that list.
    Thanks for correction... I guess I'm getting older than I realized

I coulda swore Julio was signed in 07

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Anyone know who was running the draft in 2005. To me the Joey Devine pick was as bad as the Gilmartin pick.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-10-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Anyone know who was running the draft in 2005. To me the Joey Devine pick was as bad as the Gilmartin pick.
    That pick was made during the worst period of Braves management ever - The desperate JS era. JS thought he could fix the closer problem by drafting a college reliever that was close to the big leagues.

Although, Joey was actually a really good relief pitcher until he blew his arm out. Gilmartin is just terrible in general.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You bring the greatness out in me.
    That's why they brought me in.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    And who picked Cody Johnson in 2006?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    That pick was made during the worst period of Braves management ever - The desperate JS era. JS thought he could fix the closer problem by drafting a college reliever that was close to the big leagues.

Although, Joey was actually a really good relief pitcher until he blew his arm out. Gilmartin is just terrible in general.
    So the good picks were by Roy Clark and the bad ones by JS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So the good picks were by Roy Clark and the bad ones by JS?
    You mean Roy Clark the powerhouse? That man knows not what a bad pick is