Page 175 of 227 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 4526

Thread: College Football Thread

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Second half of that FSU-Miami game looked very familiar.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    So Brent Musberger totally bet on the Georgia-South Carolina game and took the Gamecocks and the 8.5 points. He didn't even attempt to mask the despair when Georgia returned the onside kick for a score late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Georgia might be the ONLY team on the planet that can outgain Vanderbilt 421-175 and lose. Special teams, special teams, special teams. At least there's no more pressure this year and nothing else to play for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Gonna be tough to beat Bama and the refs today with all of our injuries.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    That's not a Tennessee fan complaining about refs is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I don't feel good about this one. Bama running right at our 4th string OLB. Patchwork O-line is getting annihilated. If we lose I hope we can meet up again with a more healthy team in the SEC championship.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Oh well, the gauntlet is over at least. Win out the rest of the year and go 10-2 and maybe make the championship game if UF loses one.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Oh well, the gauntlet is over at least. Win out the rest of the year and go 10-2 and maybe make the championship game if UF loses one.
    I think Florida loses to LSU and probably Arkansas.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,813 Posts
    Didn't finish a couple drives in the first half, but can't complain much about anything today. Gotta keep it going though. Next week, big challenge against A&M.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Kirby Smart is an absolutely horrible head coach. He's totally overmatched and doesn't really have a clue what he's doing. Why Georgia thought it would be a good idea to hire a guy with no head coaching experience and whose prior success had Sabans fingerprints all over it is beyond me.

Smart is pretty much Muschamp 2.0.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (10-16-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    We would have been hard pressed to beat Bama at full strength, but it really sucked having to watch this game yesterday wondering what might have been if not for a ridiculous amount of injuries. 9 starters out to begin the game, then we lost several backups during the game. No team can overcome that amount of injuries.

Oh well, hopefully we can heal up in the next few weeks and UF loses 1 more conference game so we can make it to Atlanta with a mostly healthy team. Would be nice if A&M and/or LSU could knock off Bama for us and make things a little easier. Regardless, if we win out in the regular season, I don't see anyone could complain about a 10 win season, especially considering the injuries.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Kirby Smart is an absolutely horrible head coach. He's totally overmatched and doesn't really have a clue what he's doing. Why Georgia thought it would be a good idea to hire a guy with no head coaching experience and whose prior success had Sabans fingerprints all over it is beyond me.

Smart is pretty much Muschamp 2.0.
    I didn't love the hire at the time for you guys, but thought he was a better choice than some of the other options being floated around. Of course, I thought it was a mistake to force out Richt anyways.

But I'll say this, don't be too hard on a new coach in his first year. It takes about 2-3 recruiting classes to get the right players in place for the system he runs and to build back up the depth. The big thing you're looking for is improvement each year. At least you have QB figured out for the next 2 seasons (may be 3). You guys will likely still make a bowl game in his first season, so it won't be a total loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    The expectations for Georgia this season, even with a favorable schedule, were way unrealistic, given all the reasons Carp mentioned. A lot of the problems in yesterday's loss (poor special teams, lack of focus, dumb mistakes, etc.) have been present in the program for a long time that even pre-dates Mark Richt. One of the main things is that more often than not this team will play to its competition, and that especially includes playing down to lesser opponents. Maybe Kirby is the guy to turn it around, but he has a lot of improvement as a coach to make as well. Burning timeouts at inopportune times, trying to outsmart the other team when you'd be better off rolling with your top dogs. There's having a rebuilding/transition year, and there's losing to Vanderbilt at home. The team should be showing improvement and more cohesiveness as the year goes along. Instead, it's regressing. The intensity they had for the game with Tennessee was nowhere to be found. A lot of soul-searching needs to be done. At this point, a bowl is far from automatic. They're going to have to scratch and claw for everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We would have been hard pressed to beat Bama at full strength, but it really sucked having to watch this game yesterday wondering what might have been if not for a ridiculous amount of injuries. 9 starters out to begin the game, then we lost several backups during the game. No team can overcome that amount of injuries.

Oh well, hopefully we can heal up in the next few weeks and UF loses 1 more conference game so we can make it to Atlanta with a mostly healthy team. Would be nice if A&M and/or LSU could knock off Bama for us and make things a little easier. Regardless, if we win out in the regular season, I don't see anyone could complain about a 10 win season, especially considering the injuries.
    I mean, we had scout team guys playing LB for us against Bama's run game. It was going to be ugly defensively. And Kiffin was constantly attacking our scout team LB with the zone read. I knew Bama was going to score a bunch.

I was very disappointed in our offense though. Bama is pretty comparably to UF when it comes to defensive talent. We were much more aggressive vs. UF. Debored went very conservative for some reason.
    thank you weso1!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Georgia has a true freshman QB as well. They have a lot of things working against them. They will be fine in time.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    The expectations for Georgia this season, even with a favorable schedule, were way unrealistic, given all the reasons Carp mentioned. A lot of the problems in yesterday's loss (poor special teams, lack of focus, dumb mistakes, etc.) have been present in the program for a long time that even pre-dates Mark Richt. One of the main things is that more often than not this team will play to its competition, and that especially includes playing down to lesser opponents. Maybe Kirby is the guy to turn it around, but he has a lot of improvement as a coach to make as well. Burning timeouts at inopportune times, trying to outsmart the other team when you'd be better off rolling with your top dogs. There's having a rebuilding/transition year, and there's losing to Vanderbilt at home. The team should be showing improvement and more cohesiveness as the year goes along. Instead, it's regressing. The intensity they had for the game with Tennessee was nowhere to be found. A lot of soul-searching needs to be done. At this point, a bowl is far from automatic. They're going to have to scratch and claw for everything.
    I could sub in Georgia Southern in this post and it would be spot on as well.

Defensive assistants, first HC job, and severe under performance are the mainstays. How someone takes the most prolific rushing offense in the country the passed two years to one of the worst is amazing. Between GS and UGA there aren't 2 quality starters on both offensive lines.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I could sub in Georgia Southern in this post and it would be spot on as well.

Defensive assistants, first HC job, and severe under performance are the mainstays. How someone takes the most prolific rushing offense in the country the passed two years to one of the worst is amazing. Between GS and UGA there aren't 2 quality starters on both offensive lines.
    I know in Georgia's case, two years ago, 7 of the top 120 rated high school linemen in the country were from Georgia, and we got none of them. It's killing us now. We're relying on a graduate transfer from Rhode Island to be our left tackle. Unbelievable. Kublanow, the center, tends to have at least one dumb penalty a game, and Pyke, the right tackle, gets put on his ass constantly.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 10-17-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,813 Posts
    I think anybody calling Kirby Smart a bust after not even one full season as Georgia's head coach is being a bit unfair. Not to mention a true freshman quarterback. Think of this: In his first year at LSU, Nick Saban lost to UAB. First year at Alabama, he loses to Louisiana-Monroe. Don't think I have to tell you what has happened since. I do believe Smart is capable of being a good coach. A loss to Vandy in his first year is no indication of the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I think anybody calling Kirby Smart a bust after not even one full season as Georgia's head coach is being a bit unfair. Not to mention a true freshman quarterback. Think of this: In his first year at LSU, Nick Saban lost to UAB. First year at Alabama, he loses to Louisiana-Monroe. Don't think I have to tell you what has happened since. I do believe Smart is capable of being a good coach. A loss to Vandy in his first year is no indication of the future.
    It's too early to call Smart a bust. It is not too early to say he he's doing a lousy job. He is. This Georgia team is consistently not ready for games and it hasn't been getting any better as the year has gone along (a big indicator of how good a job your coaches are doing).

A lot of people bring up Saban losing to Louisiana-Monroe his first year at Bama. I don't like that comparison. Bama was 6-7 the year before Saban got there and was coming off devastating NCAA sanctions. Georgia won 10 games last year. Different situations. Georgia was the far better team Saturday, they were also the team that was far less ready for that game.

Watching this Georgia team play is setting off a lot of warning bells about Smart. I don't think he's gotten many players to buy in to his system. And he's not helping matters by consistently calling guys out in the press when they don't play well. Doing that is a very, very quick road to alienating your players. I'll give him time but right now he's looking like he's completely lost away from Saban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,813 Posts
    OK Vegas. You're not fooling me. I think Bama will win, but I'm not buying the 19 point spread against A&M.