Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Allard is mine as well. Fried is right behind him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The conversation about ranking out starting prospects is why I'd rather wait another year. There are still so many questions on these starting prospects. How does Fried handle a big competition jump to AA? Can Allard put together a healthy season? Can Newcomb carry over his strong close? Same with Touki. How does Weigel look against better competition in AA? How do Anderson, Wentz, Muller and Wilson handle full season ball?

I'd much rather wait another year to get some answers on these guys before we start trading them when we probably aren't ready to be serious contenders yet.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-18-2016), NYCBrave (11-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    The conversation about ranking out starting prospects is why I'd rather wait another year. There are still so many questions on these starting prospects. How does Fried handle a big competition jump to AA? Can Allard put together a healthy season? Can Newcomb carry over his strong close? Same with Touki. How does Weigel look against better competition in AA? How do Anderson, Wentz, Muller and Wilson handle full season ball?

I'd much rather wait another year to get some answers on these guys before we start trading them when we probably aren't ready to be serious contenders yet.
    Yup. And I would add Folty and Wisler are hardly finished products. We're in a situation where some patience is called for. I make a deal for someone like Sale this off-season only if the price is very good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-18-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Only problem with waiting is bust or regression. If 4 of Newk, Fried, Allard, Touki, Muller, Wentz, Weigel, Sims (50%) regress, then we are in much worse spot because not only did they loose value, but now we need to hold the other 4 closer because lack of faith.

But then we still have Trex, Folty, Wisler, Povse, Gant, Whalen, Ellis, Blair, and Soroka who all could step up as well..

Good Grief we have a ton of pitching..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-18-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Braves add Fried, Sims, and Johan Camargo to 40-man roster. Only notable leave-off I can see is Connor Lien.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

You're not wrong... its just very addictive to think of Sale for 3 years at his price...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    Braves add Fried, Sims, and Johan Camargo to 40-man roster. Only notable leave-off I can see is Connor Lien.
    I can agree to this... I don't think anyone would take a chance on Connor, but you can't leave Fried and Sims unprotected. Camargo I would be fine either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You're not wrong... its just very addictive to think of Sale for 3 years at his price...
    Unless we make big moves, we technically only have him for two years of legit contention though, right? Unless I'm looking at this wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Unless we make big moves, we technically only have him for two years of legit contention though, right? Unless I'm looking at this wrong.
    Sure, but I still think if we make a move for an ace, we also acquire a clear upgrade at third.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index....ic=101067&st=0

Sox fans talk about a potential Braves fit....

from one of their posters,

'Trade would have to be Swanson, Inciarte, Albies, and two of the pitchers and I still wouldn't love it.' hahaha

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I am probably the President of the Camargo Fan Club (I think we have two or three members) and I think someone would have taken him in the Rule 5. Good fielder who can play all three IF positions and started to show some power last season. Don't know if he'll ever be a starter, but he could be a solid 250 AB guy. Lien has big-time contact issues that have to be solved for him to contribute consistently at the big league level. Great tools except for contact.

Fried and Sims had to be protected. I could see a club taking Fried in the Rule 5 and using him sparingly like the Twins used Johan Santana after acquiring him.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Chico (11-18-2016), clvclv (11-18-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

'Trade would have to be Swanson, Inciarte, Albies, and two of the pitchers and I still wouldn't love it.' hahaha
    Sounds like a guy who doesn't just assume all Braves prospects are gonna be HOFers.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Chris Sale is the Braves' "focus" as they look to acquire a starter.
    O'Brien confirms reports that the Braves have inquired on Chris Archer and Sonny Gray, but it appears they're devoting most of their attention to Sale. The Braves almost surely aren't ready to compete for a playoff spot in 2017, but getting Sale would obviously help them be competitive in the first year in their new ballpark. The lefty has a very team-friendly contract that runs through 2019. Atlanta has the necessary pieces to get something done with the White Sox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Sounds like a guy who doesn't just assume all Braves prospects are gonna be HOFers.
    I'm not saying he's wrong to want something like that for Sale, its just ludicrous to think the Braves would put those three in a package together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Chris Sale is the Braves' "focus" as they look to acquire a starter.
    O'Brien confirms reports that the Braves have inquired on Chris Archer and Sonny Gray, but it appears they're devoting most of their attention to Sale. The Braves almost surely aren't ready to compete for a playoff spot in 2017, but getting Sale would obviously help them be competitive in the first year in their new ballpark. The lefty has a very team-friendly contract that runs through 2019. Atlanta has the necessary pieces to get something done with the White Sox.
    How many times does this need to be posted in this thread?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-18-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

That shows you the "other side" that doesn't give two ****s about the Braves prospects, and overvalues Sale. That package is something that would be in the discussion to get Trout, not Sale. The trio of Swanson, Albies and Inciarte is a playoff caliber middle of your defense and top 3 of your lineup under control for 4-6 years.

I think it's pretty clear the piece to build a package for Sale around is Inciarte while his value is at its absolute peak with Mallex ready to step in and represent a 1-2 win downgrade. Swanson is very clearly completely off limits, but if they include Albies the downgrade from Albies to Jace is probably 2-3 wins...which almost cancels out the increase from adding Sale to the rotation. Add in the fact that 6 years of Albies posting 3-4 WAR is far more valuable than 3 years of Sale posting 4-5 WAR, and Albies pretty much has to be off the table as well. There is also no chance I include Acuna or Maitan in any trade since they are the only impact position players in the entire system.

So it comes down to Inciarte and "other stuff". What is that "other stuff"? Give the ChiSox 2 chances at a new Ace by giving them Newcomb and their pick from one of the A ball pitchers? Then throw in a marginal piece like Demeritte, Riley, DPete or Ruiz? Give them salary relief by taking on Shields?

My final offer would be Inciarte, plus Newcomb, plus one of Allard/Fried/Touki/Soroka, plus 1-2 of Demerritte/DPete/Riley/Ruiz, plus take all of Shields remaining contract. Tell them take it or leave it, and stop texting.

If that trade is made the Braves MUST improve C and 3B, and add a RHed 4th OFer, so then I do whatever it takes to get Castro, Valbuena, and Justin Ruggiano.

C - Castro/Flowers (2-3 wins, plus another 20 framing runs)
    1B - Freeman (4-5 wins)
    2B - Jace for 1-2 months, then Albies (2-3 wins)
    3B - Valbuena/Garcia (2-3)
    SS - Swanson (3-4 wins)
    LF - Kemp (0-1 win)
    CF - Mallex/Ruggiano (2-3 wins)
    RF - Markakis (1-2 wins)

SP - Sale (4-5 wins), Teheran (3-4 wins), Folty (2-3 wins), Dickey (1-2 wins), Colon (1-2 wins)

BP/Bench - 3-4 wins (most of the bench wins were rolled into overall platoon production above)

Total: 31-44 WAR, which translates to 79-92 wins, so call them an 84-87 win team.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-18-2016 at 12:31 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (11-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Holy crap... the white sox fans are delusional....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That shows you the "other side" that doesn't give two ****s about the Braves prospects, and overvalues Sale. That package is something that would be in the discussion to get Trout, not Sale. The trio of Swanson, Albies and Inciarte is a playoff caliber middle of your defense and top 3 of your lineup under control for 4-6 years.

I think it's pretty clear the piece to build a package for Sale around is Inciarte while his value is at its absolute peak with Mallex ready to step in and represent a 1-2 win downgrade. Swanson is very clearly completely off limits, but if they include Albies the downgrade from Albies to Jace is probably 2-3 wins...which almost cancels out the increase from adding Sale to the rotation. Add in the fact that 6 years of Albies posting 3-4 WAR is far more valuable than 3 years of Sale posting 4-5 WAR, and Albies pretty much has to be off the table as well. There is also no chance I include Acuna or Maitan in any trade since they are the only impact position players in the entire system.

So it comes down to Inciarte and "other stuff". What is that "other stuff"? Give the ChiSox 2 chances at a new Ace by giving them Newcomb and their pick from one of the A ball pitchers? Then throw in a marginal piece like Demeritte, Riley, DPete or Ruiz? Give them salary relief by taking on Shields?

My final offer would be Inciarte, plus Newcomb, plus one of Allard/Fried/Touki/Soroka, plus 1-2 of Demerritte/DPete/Riley/Ruiz, plus take all of Shields remaining contract. Tell them take it or leave it, and stop texting.

If that trade is made the Braves MUST improve C and 3B, and add a RHed 4th OFer, so then I do whatever it takes to get Castro, Valbuena, and Justin Ruggiano.

C - Castro/Flowers
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Jace for 1-2 months, then Albies
    3B - Valbuena/Garcia
    SS - Swanson
    LF - Kemp
    CF - Mallex/Ruggiano
    RF - Markakis

SP - Sale, Teheran, Folty, Dickey, Colon
    That would be a pretty good team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

C - Castro/Flowers
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Jace for 1-2 months, then Albies
    3B - Valbuena/Garcia
    SS - Swanson
    LF - Kemp
    CF - Mallex/Ruggiano
    RF - Markakis

SP - Sale, Teheran, Folty, Dickey, Colon
    I'm on board, but I'd still rather sign Turner and trade Garcia for whatever we can get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Holy crap... the white sox fans are delusional....
    No more so than any other fan base.

Everybody always overrates their own, look at it this way, if the Braves had Sale on that contract and were looking to deal him; wouldn't we want guys like 'Swanson and Maitan' to be in that package?