Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Should We Be Worried?

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    You know your a negatron when your team has a 7 game lead with 11 games to play and you are worried that they might not win the division. I am surprised negatrons can get any sleep, they must stay up all night worrying that the sun wont rise in the morning.
    pls

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Doesn't every team who wins the World Series need a spectacular run? Thanks Captain Obvious.
    As usual you missed the point very few said at the beginning of the year that this was a World Series or bust team we were HOPING to win the division and get out of the first round (nlds) it was not guaranteed. No matter if we win the World Series or not this has not been a bust year and frankly if you don't see this teams weakness you are blind. Our offense is hit or miss we're prone to long slumps and months of .500 play that is not a World Series favorite team. You guys are acting like we're World Series favorites and were not. That's not pAnicing that's living in the real world. Yah I'll be ecstatic if we win the World Series but its not likely. Like I said I'll be happy making it to the nlcs. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't give you the right to attack them so stop acting like a douche Iight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    As usual you missed the point very few said at the beginning of the year that this was a World Series or bust team we were HOPING to win the division and get out of the first round (nlds) it was not guaranteed. No matter if we win the World Series or not this has not been a bust year and frankly if you don't see this teams weakness you are blind. Our offense is hit or miss we're prone to long slumps and months of .500 play that is not a World Series favorite team. You guys are acting like we're World Series favorites and were not. That's not pAnicing that's living in the real world. Yah I'll be ecstatic if we win the World Series but its not likely. Like I said I'll be happy making it to the nlcs. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't give you the right to attack them so stop acting like a douche Iight
    You have a very broad definition of the word 'attacking'. And nothing that you just posted had any relevance to my point. Every team that wins the World Series has to have a great run. Otherwise, they wouldn't win the World Series. That's an empty statement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Diesel (09-19-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    This team is what it is. It looks red hot and suddenly goes on a cold streak. When they are on a cold streak, suddenly something clicks and we go on a hot streak. Our colds are colder than most and our hots are hotter than most. Lets just hope we catch fire in the postseason bc if we do, we win a title.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I do not think there is a "super" team in the playoff bound clubs that sticks out as being far superior to all the others. Every team has some flaw or two. The Braves have just as many pros and cons as the others. And as such, are just as likely to win the whole thing as any other club, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Exactly. Our pitching might not have an ace, but Minor-Teheran-Wood-Medlen all have the stuff, if they are on, to lead us to a title.

We have the hitters that can carry a club, and then we have Kimbrel.

I dont think anyone can beat us if we are on.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    and don't look now but the Dodgers, everybody's trendy pick as the team to beat, are colder than we are. And the Cards, who are on our heels, have to play the Nats while we get the Cubs. We could still pull out home field.

Correction, Nats play the Marlins, then the Cards. Could be still in the WC race and give the Cards a few more losses.
    Last edited by stpeteirish; 09-19-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    You know your a negatron when your team has a 7 game lead with 11 games to play and you are worried that they might not win the division. I am surprised negatrons can get any sleep, they must stay up all night worrying that the sun wont rise in the morning.
    No. I sleep. But when I wake up I start worrying again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    and don't look now but the Dodgers, everybody's trendy pick as the team to beat, are colder than we are. And the Cards, who are on our heels, have to play the Nats while we get the Cubs. We could still pull out home field.

Correction, Nats play the Marlins, then the Cards. Could be still in the WC race and give the Cards a few more losses.
    The Dodgers are 7-10 this month. I guess we can count them out of winning the world series, you need a hot September to win from what I've read here.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I don't know but that win last night was huge in my book. It pretty much slammed the freaking door on the Nats! It gave our guys some much need confidence and allowed them to get the whole collapse out of their head. I know they had it because everyone was starting to talk about it. Now the great news is, we get a young energetic shot of Jason Heyward back soon. That is exactly what this team needs right now. I am hearing great stuff about him and I think he will continue what was put on pause in New York in August. GO Braves and F the Nats!

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    My point is the world is not over and this season is not a bust if we don't win the World Series we are most likely going to top our win total from last year and accomplish more then most of us believed when the season started. All of this with 2 regulars hitting below .200 losing EOF, venters, huddy and Pena for the yeAr. You said World Series or bust That's what I was referring to. We can win the World Series if everything falls into place I'm not trying to be negative, actually trying to put a positive spin on things if we don't. So what do you believe is necessary for a long post season run ? Which is what I was getting at when I started the topic maybe panic was to strong a word

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    My point is the world is not over and this season is not a bust if we don't win the World Series we are most likely going to top our win total from last year and accomplish more then most of us believed when the season started. All of this with 2 regulars hitting below .200 losing EOF, venters, huddy and Pena for the yeAr. You said World Series or bust That's what I was referring to. We can win the World Series if everything falls into place I'm not trying to be negative, actually trying to put a positive spin on things if we don't. So what do you believe is necessary for a long post season run ? Which is what I was getting at when I started the topic maybe panic was to strong a word
    Anyway, it's good to see so many people here from the scout.com site damn that place is a ghost town now.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My only fear in the playoffs is that Fredi over manages and pulls the hook on our starters too quick in the 5th or 6th inning.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    My only fear in the playoffs is that Fredi over manages and pulls the hook on our starters too quick in the 5th or 6th inning.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the trend with Fredi is that he doesn't usually tend to pull pitchers (unless they get bombed) until they reach around the 100 pitch mark (I know there was that Medlen start). I can see that trend continuing in the playoffs.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the trend with Fredi is that he doesn't usually tend to pull pitchers (unless they get bombed) until they reach around the 100 pitch mark (I know there was that Medlen start). I can see that trend continuing in the playoffs.
    Yeah but Fredi's never managed a real postseason series before, just late September games and the one Wild Card game.

I could see with him being a rookie postseason series manager, he might get a little too ancy and go to the pen too early.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Bobby went to the pen too late sometimes; then again he didn't have that many great bullpens to begin with.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Bobby went to the pen too late sometimes; then again he didn't have that many great bullpens to begin with.
    Agreed.

That's why I think Fredi will go too quick... even if Avilan can't go, he's still going to put him in there anyways.

I feel Fredi may try to shorten the game by removing the starter earlier to use the bullpen, instead of giving our starter a chance to go 7 strong.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Here's a summation of why we lost every year in the playoffs since 2000:

2000 (Lost 3-0 in NLDS to Cardinals): Maddux, Glavine, and Millwood all got bombed. We had no shot.
    2001 (Lost 4-1 in NLCS to D-Backs): Effectively, Randy Johnson owned us 2 games, and Schilling in another. Maddux got bombed on 3 days rest in Game 4 vs. Albie Lopez (!!!)
    2002 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Giants): In his 2 starts, Glavine gave up 6 ER and 7 ER. We only got 1 run off of Russ Ortiz in Game 5. Bonds had 3 homers in the series.
    2003 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Cubs): Wood shut us down in Game 1, Mark Prior complete game in Game 3, Wood shut us down again in Game 5.
    2004 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Astros): Beltran hit 4 homers, Jaret Wright had 2 bad starts, John Thomson and Russ Ortiz did very poor. We couldn't touch that bum Brandon Backe in game 3.
    2005 (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Astros): Hudson got bombed in Game 1, Sosa gave up 3 in Game 3 and then Reitsma imploded, Game 4 was the fluke game where it went 18 innings and Ausmus hit the cheapest home run known to man over some random white line on the outfield wall.
    2010: (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Giants): Couldn't touch Lincecum in Game 1, miracle comeback in game 2 after Hanson did horrible, can't comment on game 3, game 4 bumgarner and lowe in a tight one that we lost.

What's the trend here? Our pitching has pretty much failed us every year, and when they've done ok, our hitting dissapeared.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Here's a summation of why we lost every year in the playoffs since 2000:

2000 (Lost 3-0 in NLDS to Cardinals): Maddux, Glavine, and Millwood all got bombed. We had no shot.
    2001 (Lost 4-1 in NLCS to D-Backs): Effectively, Randy Johnson owned us 2 games, and Schilling in another. Maddux got bombed on 3 days rest in Game 4 vs. Albie Lopez (!!!)
    2002 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Giants): In his 2 starts, Glavine gave up 6 ER and 7 ER. We only got 1 run off of Russ Ortiz in Game 5. Bonds had 3 homers in the series.
    2003 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Cubs): Wood shut us down in Game 1, Mark Prior complete game in Game 3, Wood shut us down again in Game 5.
    2004 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Astros): Beltran hit 4 homers, Jaret Wright had 2 bad starts, John Thomson and Russ Ortiz did very poor. We couldn't touch that bum Brandon Backe in game 3.
    2005 (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Astros): Hudson got bombed in Game 1, Sosa gave up 3 in Game 3 and then Reitsma imploded, Game 4 was the fluke game where it went 18 innings and Ausmus hit the cheapest home run known to man over some random white line on the outfield wall.
    2010: (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Giants): Couldn't touch Lincecum in Game 1, miracle comeback in game 2 after Hanson did horrible, can't comment on game 3, game 4 bumgarner and lowe in a tight one that we lost.

What's the trend here? Our pitching has pretty much failed us every year, and when they've done ok, our hitting dissapeared.
    In a nutshell. I would also add about 2010, that the only run scored in game 1 was because an incorrect call was made at second base that later allowed the Giants run to score. Game 3, Kimbrel got squeezed, and Conrad made a costly error.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I would argue that our colds haven't even been that cold. Between the 14-2 start and the start of the 14-0 run, we went 43-43.