Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    While the Braves are doing their best to dumb down the FO, the Astros credit their analytics group for helping them beat the Yankees:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...orioles-2.html

Afterward, pitching coach Brent Strom told Rosenthal: “I’ve got to hand this to our analytics people. “They said, ‘Listen, this is where we’re making our mistakes. We need to throw as many curveballs as possible. This is a good fastball-hitting team.'”

McCullers threw 24 straight curves to end the game. The Yankees couldn't touch them. The Astros treated the Yankees like a lineup full of Swansons.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-22-2017 at 10:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (10-23-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Just imagine if the Astros had a guy like Walt Weiss in their dugout, the series probably would have been over in 5. LMFAO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Credit McCann too for incorporating the information and calling a great game. He called much different games for Morton and McCullers.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Charlie Morton is pitching a Game 7. Crazy.

I've got an official lineup card. He was starter with the Gwinnett Braves. Will pull it out after returning home tomorrow.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Official beer of the Astros?

Anyway, where does the distinction between good scouting and analytics diverge? If the Yankees can't hit curveballs, wouldn't any halfway decent observer pick that up? If Strom needs to have analytics to discern the weaknesses of Yankee hitters, my estimation of him has fallen a bit. I'm not anti-analytics, but in this instance it just seems to be a more organized method of charting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

BravesfanMike (10-22-2017), Knucksie (10-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Official beer of the Astros?

Anyway, where does the distinction between good scouting and analytics diverge? If the Yankees can't hit curveballs, wouldn't any halfway decent observer pick that up? If Strom needs to have analytics to discern the weaknesses of Yankee hitters, my estimation of him has fallen a bit. I'm not anti-analytics, but in this instance it just seems to be a more organized method of charting.
    Well let's see...

Analytics allowed teams like the A's and Rays to compete at the highest level with the top spenders until....

...the top spenders started investing heavily on analytics. "Charting" can not identify anything with the precision and breadth of statcast data, which literally sees everything.

I realize sports is where dumb people go so they don't have to feel bad about being dumb. I realize it's unsettling when the smart people start to take over the place dumb people used to feel safe. I realize it hurts Frenchy's ego to be told what's really important in baseball by a guy who can't even play catch. I realize it's hard to swallow the fact that "smart guys" like Glavine aren't really very smart compared to actual smart guys.

The smart people are still right, despite the dumb people kicking and screaming about it. Just like we have accepted the fact professional athletes are 100x better than the average joe at sports, we need to accept the fact that professional analysts are 100x better than the average joe at analyzing data.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-22-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well let's see...

Analytics allowed teams like the A's and Rays to compete at the highest level with the top spenders until....

...the top spenders started investing heavily on analytics. "Charting" can not identify anything with the precision and breadth of statcast data, which literally sees everything.

I realize sports is where dumb people go so they don't have to feel bad about being dumb. I realize it's unsettling when the smart people start to take over the place dumb people used to feel safe. I realize it hurts Frenchy's ego to be told what's really important in baseball by a guy who can't even play catch. I realize it's hard to swallow the fact that "smart guys" like Glavine aren't really very smart compared to actual smart guys.

The smart people are still right, despite the dumb people kicking and screaming about it. Just like we have accepted the fact professional athletes are 100x better than the average joe at sports, we need to accept the fact that professional analysts are 100x better than the average joe at analyzing data.
    So glad you decided, once again, to make something confrontational that wasn't the least bit confrontational.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-22-2017), Knucksie (10-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Chuck LaMar to Andrew Friedman...bit by bit the wheel turns...it is a question of how fast

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    The Astros went 12 years between pennants. The Braves have now gone 18 and counting. Let that sink in.
    The Zombie Expos have yet to make it out of the first round despite having the 2 best prospects of the last 15-20 years fall in their laps. So that makes me feel better.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The Zombie Expos have yet to make it out of the first round despite having the 2 best prospects of the last 15-20 years fall in their laps. So that makes me feel better.
    I wouldn't consider Strasburg one of the top 2 prospects in the last 15-20 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I wouldn't consider Strasburg one of the top 2 prospects in the last 15-20 years.
    At the time, he was a huge prospect.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    At the time, he was a huge prospect.
    I am aware. I just don't think he's #2 in the past 15-20 years. Yes I am being anal about it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    As a draft prospect, I would argue he probably was (or at least close enough that it's an agreeable position).

As a minor league prospect, he would be high up there but still behind a number of position player prospects.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I am aware. I just don't think he's #2 in the past 15-20 years. Yes I am being anal about it.
    As a guy widely touted as the best pitching prospect in generations, that's a tough argument to win.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    So glad you decided, once again, to make something confrontational that wasn't the least bit confrontational.

Wonder if anybody else noticed that a certain someone acted as if not being able to play catch was some sort of badge of honor.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    As a guy widely touted as the best pitching prospect in generations, that's a tough argument to win.
    I agree. But I would argue a few position prospects that are ahead of him.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-23-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well let's see...

I'm not looking for a fight here (and I'll put my GREs up against anyone on this board). I appreciate what analytics can do when comparing the value of Player A against Player B, but I don't think anything the A's did with statistics had that much to do with their successful run. They had a great core of young players (especially starting pitchers) that put them in a position to win until they couldn't afford them anymore. The Rays are a somewhat different story, but Friedman's genius really came from insisting that young pitchers come back to the Rays in almost every deal.

It's just with the in-game stuff that I'm not seeing that much of a difference. The relative strengths and weaknesses of players are fairly apparent. It comes down to execution.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I feel he was, at least at the time he was drafted. I can't think of another player with as much hype on him coming into the draft other than Harper.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-22-2017 at 08:13 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not looking for a fight here (and I'll put my GREs up against anyone on this board). I appreciate what analytics can do when comparing the value of Player A against Player B, but I don't think anything the A's did with statistics had that much to do with their successful run. They had a great core of young players (especially starting pitchers) that put them in a position to win until they couldn't afford them anymore. The Rays are a somewhat different story, but Friedman's genius really came from insisting that young pitchers come back to the Rays in almost every deal.

It's just with the in-game stuff that I'm not seeing that much of a difference. The relative strengths and weaknesses of players are fairly apparent. It comes down to execution.
    There is no fight to be had. There are facts, and then there are non-facts. I'm sure you filled out the bubbles on that multiple choice test like a whiz, but that doesn't change facts.

You do realize the A's determination that OBP was the most undervalued stat was the key to their early success, right? How else did they make that determination other than being the first team to study the correlation of different stats to winning?

Statistical and value analysis is what Money Ball was all about. Now teams are building off that. The most successful teams are the smartest teams analytically, and the Braves are slowly being left in the dust with every dinosaur they hire. A below average payroll and a braintrust that wastes resources like it's still the 90s is not a winning combination.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-22-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I feel he was, at least at the time he was drafted. I can't think of another player with as much hype on him coming into the draft other than Harper.
    I would agree with that. He had super hype due to his 100 MPH fastball he had going for him. But to me hype is just that.