Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Braves Top 10

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Remember when trading for Gohara was an example of a terrible organizational decision?
    Remember when Gohara was the only pitching prospect who looked good out of more than a dozen that made their debut the last few years?

Here's the list of Rookie SPs for the Braves the last 3 years:

1 Sean Newcomb
    2 Luiz Gohara
    3 John Gant
    4 Max Fried
    5 Matt Wisler
    6 Luke Sims
    7 Rob Whalen
    8 Williams Perez
    9 Casey Kelly
    10 Ryan Weber
    11 Joel De La Cruz
    12 Manny Banuelos
    13 Mike Foltynewicz
    14 Aaron Blair
    15 Tyrell Jenkins

How great is the organizational decision making process that compiled that list of names? Seems pretty ****ty to me.

Remember writing most of those names in your jerk off lists of pitching prospects that were SOOOOO amazing?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-24-2017 at 12:23 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I've always put a Troy Glaus comp on Riley. Glaus walked at a better rate than Riley has put up to date but other things line up well. Average hit tool, big time power, similar K rates, both bigger guys with longer swings.

Glaus would be an absolute best case scenario. It's a long shot he ever gets to that level but it's at least a realistic ceiling.
    I'd think the Braves (and most here, for that matter), would be thrilled if Riley turns out to be a lot like Glaus. If he could hold down 3B defensively for 4-5 years starting in 2019, sliding him across the diamond to eventually replace Freeman and have Maitan take over (assuming he's still with the organization) would make tons of sense on the surface.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember when Gohara was the only pitching prospect who looked good out of more than a dozen that made their debut the last few years?

Here's the list of Rookie SPs for the Braves the last 3 years:

1 Sean Newcomb
    2 Luiz Gohara
    3 John Gant
    4 Max Fried
    5 Matt Wisler
    6 Luke Sims
    7 Rob Whalen
    8 Williams Perez
    9 Casey Kelly
    10 Ryan Weber
    11 Joel De La Cruz
    12 Manny Banuelos
    13 Mike Foltynewicz
    14 Aaron Blair
    15 Tyrell Jenkins

How great is the organizational decision making process that compiled that list of names? Seems pretty ****ty to me.

Remember writing most of those names in your jerk off lists of pitching prospects that were SOOOOO amazing?
    Yeah, bc they were really building around those guys. What is it like 4-5 were actually looked at as possible long term guys? 4 (Newcomb, gohara, fried, and folty) of those are far from having decided futures here
    Last edited by msstate7; 10-24-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Remember when trading for Gohara was an example of a terrible organizational decision?
    Ugh TheThe.. you just ensured Gohard blows an elbow and Mallex OPS's .800
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah, bc they were really building around those guys. What is it like 4-5 were actually looked at as possible long term guys? 4 (Newcomb, gohara, fried, and folty) of those are far from having decided futures here
    Oh yes, the typical "we weren't really trying" defense mechanism for failure. The guys who failed "the Braves weren't really building around", and the guys who haven't yet proven to be complete failures are "possible long term guys".

I notice you didn't mention guys like Blair, Folty, Wisler, ManBan, Blair and Jenkins were all ranked very similarly to Newk, Fried, Soroka, and Allard (Top 50-100).

But yeah, the older guys weren't that big of a deal, but these new guys are potential building blocks. Perfectly logical!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Oh yes, the typical "we weren't really trying" defense mechanism for failure. The guys who failed "the Braves weren't really building around", and the guys who haven't yet proven to be complete failures are "possible long term guys".

I notice you didn't mention guys like Blair, Folty, Wisler, ManBan, Blair and Jenkins were all ranked very similarly to Newk, Fried, Soroka, and Allard (Top 50-100).

But yeah, the older guys weren't that big of a deal, but these new guys are potential building blocks. Perfectly logical!
    You really need to get laid. Let’s pretend you’re a recruit and I’m Hugh freeze... I’ll pay for it for you

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Actually that is logical. The 1st wave was meant to hold the fort down until the higher risk/reward pitchers were ready. Guys like Man Ban who we traded a journeyman reliever and relief prospect for and Jenkins who was a throw in were never meant to be core players. Just reading the scouting report on Blair as a pitchability righty you could tell he did not fit the profile of the guys we were going after to build around. Only Drew Harrington is even close to having a similar scouting report and he's a lefty who could still be looked at as a releiver.

I do think we hoped for Wisler to be something as we tried to trade for him in the Jupton trade and were rebuffed, and he fit the profile of a 2 pitch guy who could devleop in to a starter with a 3rd pitch or reliever if not...so I'd call that one a bust.

I think it's too early to say on Newk or Fried. I think Folty is in the middle. He's servicable, has some value, and could be moved to the pen next year if we decided to or has some value in trade.

So, I'd say we have one bust in Wisler, one hit in Gohara, and a number of incompletes depending on how you view Folty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Hysterical that someone could actually write off Newk or Fried at this point. I'm definitely concerned about folly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Actually that is logical. The 1st wave was meant to hold the fort down until the higher risk/reward pitchers were ready. Guys like Man Ban who we traded a journeyman reliever and relief prospect for and Jenkins who was a throw in were never meant to be core players. Just reading the scouting report on Blair as a pitchability righty you could tell he did not fit the profile of the guys we were going after to build around. Only Drew Harrington is even close to having a similar scouting report and he's a lefty who could still be looked at as a releiver.

I do think we hoped for Wisler to be something as we tried to trade for him in the Jupton trade and were rebuffed, and he fit the profile of a 2 pitch guy who could devleop in to a starter with a 3rd pitch or reliever if not...so I'd call that one a bust.

I think it's too early to say on Newk or Fried. I think Folty is in the middle. He's servicable, has some value, and could be moved to the pen next year if we decided to or has some value in trade.

So, I'd say we have one bust in Wisler, one hit in Gohara, and a number of incompletes depending on how you view Folty.
    Go ahead and compare the prospect rankings of guys like Wisler, Blair, Jenkins and Folty to the rankings of the guys you claim are so much better. Then come back and tell me how the older guys weren't as highly touted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I mean there were many top 10 prospects that failed so we should have written off trout immediately!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I mean there were many top 10 prospects that failed so we should have written off trout immediately!!
    It's amazing just how dumb some people are haha.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    BA guys just had a Facebook Live session on the Braves Top 10 list.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    How is that relevant?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Blair was ranked as high as #40 by BABIP and #60 after the Braves traded for him. He busted which happens quite often with pitching prospects but to act like he wasn't expected to do much is silly.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You really need to get laid. Let’s pretend you’re a recruit and I’m Hugh freeze... I’ll pay for it for you
    I'm a recruit then....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

msstate7 (10-24-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Go ahead and compare the prospect rankings of guys like Wisler, Blair, Jenkins and Folty to the rankings of the guys you claim are so much better. Then come back and tell me how the older guys weren't as highly touted.
    Blair was a Top 50 on some charts, but he looks like another pitch-to-contact guy and unfortunately, when he pitches, there is big-time contact. I don't know if any one of these guys (besides Banuelos) can be termed a total bust at this point, but if they have any success it will likely be in a few years and not in Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Write this down, take a picture, send it to your grandma....5 years from now Kolby Allard and Max Fried will be headlining the starting rotation and will be studs. They both have good enough stuff but more importantly they have that it factor. Soroko isn't that fair behind.

Too many on here are falling in love with the stuff of Gohara, I have major concerns about him especially long term. Guys like Newcomb and Folty need to make some major changes or they'll be bullpen fodder. Newcomb shouldn't even be here and Folty should be traded while he's got some value. It doesn't appear he is going to take that next step, and that's too bad because I think working with a better pitching coach and getting tuteledge from a veteran could go a long ways in doing that but it's not gonna happen under Chucky.

Keeping Chucky is the worst move of the rebuild (and that's saying something) and is completely baffling considering there are a half dozen guys on the open market this offseason that are top notch pitching gurus.
    I'm the opposite. I thought Newk was the most impressive of all pitchers last year. A legit shot that he becomes a Gio Gonzalez type of pitcher. Allard, to me, stands the least likely at this point, at least among the recent top 10 group. I'm down on Fried a little now. Just don't know that he'll ever be more than a Randy Wolf type at best, which isn't bad, but may be not that exciting for a ceiling. Still holding out hope he lives up to that potential #2 billing he had when he came over.

Folty I think will make strides next season, but not sure he'll ever be more than a Matt Garza type. Solid mid-back end starter that's valuable while he's cheap, but not someone you commit to long term.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    SAL fan
    12:08 I know you are no fan of comps, but if Acuña ends up having Adam Jones levels of production, that’s a great outcome, right?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:09 Yes

I think AJones is a pretty good lazy comp for Acuna actually.
    Is it bad that I'd be disappointed if this were case? I've just never liked Adam Jones and thought he's always been overrated. May be it's that career. 322 OBP.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Is it bad that I'd be disappointed if this were case? I've just never liked Adam Jones and thought he's always been overrated. May be it's that career. 322 OBP.
    Probably.

I mean with the way he is being hyped up I have no doubt that unless Acuna is a perennial MVP candidate in his prime that people will be disappointed. Jones did have a run in his late 20's of 4 straight all-star level performance but that won't be good enough with Acuna's hype.