Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiver deals....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Putting a ton of resources into a 4ish WAR catcher that plays 140 games is a terrible, terrible idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Good hitting catchers are a luxury, and Lucroy should be Example A as to why you shouldn't put much resources into catchers, even athletic ones.

Our prospect capital would be better spent to fix other areas.
    Lucroy was never anywhere close to the quality of player Realmuto is

Edit: Okay that was a bit of a strong statement, but Lucroy had a problem staying healthy and playing more than 450 at-bats or so in a season... Realmuto has been a rock and is putting up MVP caliber numbers this year at his position.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 08-06-2018 at 07:42 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The Yankees won't because any major acquisition won't allow them to reset their salary tax.
    I mean i guess it's a risk, but all they have to do is claim him, they don't habe to work out a trade.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-06-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The most interesting waiver deal to me goes the other way - if somebody claims Julio, does AA simply let him go to get rid of the money?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    A 27 year old catcher who's really athletic and under control until 2021 is pretty rare, and yes... would be expensive... and would very much improve our MLB club.

I'd assume Grandall will get a qualifying offer, so you are talking about giving up a draft pick and signing him to four or five guaranteed years at 15-17 million per.

You could bring back Flowers but you are likely going to have to give him 2-3 years at a substantial raise this time.

Beyond that, not much attractive to me on the FA catching market as a primary. You can piece together a platoon situation and hope for some defense mindedness there, but its an aging undistinguished lot in free agency.

I suppose there is Ramos. I wouldn't suggest bad defense catcher with the Braves situation, but its an option.

Would be hard for the Braves to deal with four guys in the lineup with offensive questions -- currently having Swanson, Inciarte, and Camargo all having limitations. So maybe Ramos would be an option, but he's certainly not going cheap this time.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 08-06-2018 at 08:19 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Man I'd be willing to give up a lot for JT, but it'd be hard and heartbreaking. Probably end up at least being:

Pache or Waters
    Pick 1 of Soroka/Wright/Touki/Wilson
    A lower level guy with tools, like JDLC.

That's my best offer, and it'd probably be Pache that I'd go as the position player going. I'm bigger on Waters than Pache (starting slow in A+ but still). I'm not even sure that's enough, I'd probably say doubtful because Jeter could be dumb here.

I see William Contreras as mid 2020-2021. I was going flat 2021 but less sure now.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    For me the free agent catcher list is essentially Grandal and Flowers. I guess Ramos is an option if you don't care about defense.

I think Contreras is a long way away.

I'd probably give up a lot for Realmuto. Perfect fit with bat and good defense for the Braves, who can't really afford another below average offensive position player.
    Mac is available and he could prove to be a valuable platoon partner with one of Flowers/Suzuki.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-06-2018), jpx7 (08-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The most interesting waiver deal to me goes the other way - if somebody claims Julio, does AA simply let him go to get rid of the money?

If someone claimed Teheran they should definitely let him go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Putting a ton of resources into a 4ish WAR catcher that plays 140 games is a terrible, terrible idea.
    Sure, its expensive, but its not like we'd be giving up resources that are imperative to the team. We don't have many holes to fill and we should put the most elite player we can get in the holes we do have, IMO. And we can afford it without killing the farm. Will it hurt? A bit, because we love our prospects, but it won't really hurt the system that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Man I'd be willing to give up a lot for JT, but it'd be hard and heartbreaking. Probably end up at least being:

Pache or Waters
    Pick 1 of Soroka/Wright/Touki/Wilson
    A lower level guy with tools, like JDLC.

That's my best offer, and it'd probably be Pache that I'd go as the position player going. I'm bigger on Waters than Pache (starting slow in A+ but still). I'm not even sure that's enough, I'd probably say doubtful because Jeter could be dumb here.

I see William Contreras as mid 2020-2021. I was going flat 2021 but less sure now.
    I would include Pache before Waters as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Mac is available and he could prove to be a valuable platoon partner with one of Flowers/Suzuki.
    I'm not sure McCann is better than Suzuki at this point, but I guess that works. Flowers might be more expensive and more of a commitment than would be ideal.

We are assuming Astros don't pick up McCann's option, I guess.

Braves could elect to kick the catcher decision down the road, but at some point they need to do something to make a major improvement somewhere. I don't think Flowers/McCann moves the needle much and in fact might be a little worse than what they had this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Waters or Pache comes down to whether you value offensive or defense more highly.

Pache's defense is more certain and probably plays at a higher MLB level than Waters offense.

But maybe Waters hits better while still being above average in center?

Pache being closer and more certain in his tools seems like the one to keep.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Good hitting catchers are a luxury, and Lucroy should be Example A as to why you shouldn't put much resources into catchers, even athletic ones.

Like where, we're set just about everywhere but C, and the other OF spot.

And we have an abundance of SP options next year.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd assume Grandall will get a qualifying offer, so you are talking about giving up a draft pick and singing him to four or five guaranteed years at 15-17 million per.

You could bring back Flowers but you are likely going to have to give him 2-3 years at a substantial raise this time.

Beyond that, not much attractive to me on the FA catching market as a primary. You can piece together a playoff situation and hope for some defense mindedness there, but its an aging undistinguished lot in free agency.

I suppose there is Ramos. I wouldn't suggest bad defense catcher with the Braves situation, but its an option.

Would be hard for the Braves to deal with four guys in the lineup with offensive questions -- currently having Swanson, Inciarte, and Camargo all having limitations. So maybe Ramos would be an option, but he's certainly not going cheap this time.
    And Markakis is a FA, and who knows if the Braves keep him or not.

The cost for Realmuto would be big, but if the Braves could extend him, he'd round out an excellent top 4 in the lineup with Albies, Acuna, and Freeman, that's legit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Realmuto has great value as a defensive catcher. He's still young. his hitting is a plus, but I know no one is really about giving up anything to upgrade Camargo or Swanson or Inciarte either, so might as well get your offense here.

Flowers is a diminishing proposition. The catching market is weak beyond Grandal and the all offense Ramos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Pache, Anderson, and a low level guy got us Realmuto i'd do that. There's your RH cleanup hitter behind Freeman. If we could get another good outfielder then we would be pretty set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Waters or Pache comes down to whether you value offensive or defense more highly.

Pache's defense is more certain and probably plays at a higher MLB level than Waters offense.

But maybe Waters hits better while still being above average in center?

Pache being closer and more certain in his tools seems like the one to keep.
    I'm still not certain on Pache's offensive tools. But I've always been lower on Pache than most. I think Waters has quite a bit higher offensive ceiling and is still potentially an above average to excellent defender.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-06-2018), jpx7 (08-07-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    I just don’t think the Braves will trade Wright. We shall see.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-07-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think the Braves only keep one of Pache/Waters, so that would be an interesting decision to make.

I'd probably do like Anderson, Pache, Wilson, and a low end guy not in the top 30 if we could extend him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Marlins have let Realmuto get pretty close to seeing the end of the tunnel. Would he even be open to extension?