Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2853

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    Hopefully they can decide if they're contenders next year early in the off-season. I want them to sign Machado badly. He's a huge upgrade over Camargo and Swanson.
    Well, with the acquisitions of O'Day, Gausman and Duvall, I have the 2019 payroll sitting at around $75M. Assuming a payroll in the $120M-$125M range, that's $45M-$50M to spend with holes in LF, both catchers, and probably 3B and 1-2 BP arms.

I'm thinking that, just maybe, giving Machado $35M-$40M per year isn't the best way to fill out a complete roster with that limited payroll.

Oh yeah, and giving a single player 30% of the payroll is also proven to always be a bad idea.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-10-2018)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    There has to be a bench bat out there to add before Sept 1, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Philthies got Bour
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well, with the acquisitions of O'Day, Gausman and Duvall, I have the 2019 payroll sitting at around $75M. Assuming a payroll in the $120M-$125M range, that's $45M-$50M to spend with holes in LF, both catchers, and probably 3B and 1-2 BP arms.

I'm thinking that, just maybe, giving Machado $35M-$40M per year isn't the best way to fill out a complete roster with that limited payroll.

Oh yeah, and giving a single player 30% of the payroll is also proven to always be a bad idea.
    One thing I learned from this year is we should always leave 5-10 million unspent. Rentals are so cheap if you can take on money. Build your team and plan to get a couple of rentals.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Well, with the acquisitions of O'Day, Gausman and Duvall, I have the 2019 payroll sitting at around $75M. Assuming a payroll in the $120M-$125M range, that's $45M-$50M to spend with holes in LF, http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/fo...ay.php?f=2both catchers, and probably 3B and 1-2 BP arms.

Honest question here... With RA Jr. appearing less proficient in the OF than expected, is there a chance we are looking for a RF rather than LF for the future... or is it a question of minimal importance with RA able to fill either spot?

Maybe go with the best fit offensively and figure out positions from there.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    By the way, I think for this year they're handling Dansby correctly. Occasionally sit him from time to time, but don't let it dwindle into what it was last year for him. Make it semi part time.

But in the offseason, if he can't come around some from the swoon he's been in since June 10th, you have to consider...
    Is it worth giving him one last chance to state his case as a starter for another 2 or 3 months?
    Should the tires be kicked on Albies going back to SS?

I'm thinking we see a versatile infielder than can hit right handed pitching signed and Swanson is given another shot.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Honest question here... With RA Jr. appearing less proficient in the OF than expected, is there a chance we are looking for a RF rather than LF for the future... or is it a question of minimal importance with RA able to fill either spot?

I'm wondering if he'd be better in right. I didn't watch minor league baseball last year, but supposedly his arm is very, very inaccurate in left but much better in center, I haven't heard on right. About 2/3rds of his issues in the outfield are he's not used to playing the angles and his arm is laughably inaccurate in left field. The other third is he's poor at running routes.

It was thought that he might stay in LF due to LF being more spacious than RF in SunTrust, but if his arm is more accurate from right, you might have to reverse course and switch him to right.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

I’m not worried about his defense at all. I just think he’s young.

I don’t think he has natural instincts like pache but I’d think he’ll be plus and able to play cf until late twenties

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

Small samples galore but DRS has Acuna better in center and right than in left. Also he's an average defender in left for the season so far so he's not a liability in anyway imo.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-10-2018), jpx7 (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    By the way, I think for this year they're handling Dansby correctly. Occasionally sit him from time to time, but don't let it dwindle into what it was last year for him. Make it semi part time.

But in the offseason, if he can't come around some from the swoon he's been in since June 10th, you have to consider...
    Is it worth giving him one last chance to state his case as a starter for another 2 or 3 months?

I'm thinking we see a versatile infielder than can hit right handed pitching signed and Swanson is given another shot.
    Moving Albies to ss makes a lot of sense.

Maybe the orioles trade disco for dansby. Maybe someone else wants him.

Comargo could go to second. We could sign dozier. We could bring up Riley.

If we had moose, Albies comargo and dozier alternating between 3b ss and 2b that would be good. Dozier would be by far the most expensive.

With moose and dozier being traded neither costs a pick. I think those two are much mor3 realistic than Harper and machado

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

LF/RF, doesn't really matter. The Braves will be looking for a cOFer.

I'm hoping for Pollock, but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion we are going to see a LHH platooned with Duvall. AA was adamant about acquiring guys with control, and getting a bench bat with team control doesn't really make a whole lot of sense unless he is going to be used to fill at least a part time role.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Swanson is a defense first SS who will provide 1-2 wins for league minimum in 2019. He isn't going anywhere. Once he hits arb all bets are off, but I'd go ahead and pencil him in as the opening day SS for 2019 while he's cheap.

With all the IF shuffling this year, Albies still hasn't moved off 2B for even a single inning. He is going to be the guy at 2B, period.

All this speculation should be reigned in by what's actually happening in reality.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Swanson is a defense first SS who will provide 1-2 wins for league minimum in 2019. He isn't going anywhere. Once he hits arb all bets are off, but I'd go ahead and pencil him in as the opening day SS for 2019 while he's cheap.

With all the IF shuffling this year, Albies still hasn't moved off 2B for even a single inning. He is going to be the guy at 2B, period.

All this speculation should be reigned in by what's actually happening in reality.
    Yep. According to fangraphs, Dansby is #19 in mlb in def value. The braves are attempting to build with pitching... a good defensive SS is important.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post

If we could use him as a centerpiece to get a legit ace, I'd trade him without thinking twice and sign Igelsias in the off-season.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-10-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If we could use him as a centerpiece to get a legit ace, I'd trade him without thinking twice and sign Igelsias in the off-season.
    He doesn't have that kind of value now. Maybe before he showed the world he couldn't hit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    if you hate watching swanson hit you’ll really hate watching iglesias.
    it’s not like dansby is hopeless with the bat.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Maybe, when the NL gets the DH, they will let us DH for Dansby and let the pitcher hit. At least they can move runners over...Dansby can't even do that as of late.

Better yet maybe we can have Dansby be a DF...Designated fielder and let anyone else on the roster hit for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    He doesn't have that kind of value now. Maybe before he showed the world he couldn't hit.
    Elite defensive SS still hold plenty of value and a team could bank on Swanson living up to his offensive potential. He still has 4 years of control.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    if you hate watching swanson hit you’ll really hate watching iglesias.
    it’s not like dansby is hopeless with the bat.
    Not really concerned with the SS bat as long as we are getting elite defense. But we simply don't have top position prospects necessary to land a legit ace.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Do you think we could get Shelby Miller for him?

Dansby, Inciarte and a middling prospect for Miller? That seems fair.