Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Video of Kimbrel

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    You guys exaggerate the response from the Fredi realists around here. Almost all of us voice our opinion BEFORE the result. This idea that we wait until whatever happens and jump on him regardless is flawed.
    I agree but also realize you don't give him credit when one of his decisions you disagree with works. That's the biggest problem I have with the Fredi bashers. If you want to criticize him for not going with Kimbrel because it didn't work then give him credit for going with Garcia because that move did work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-15-2013)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I agree but also realize you don't give him credit when one of his decisions you disagree with works. That's the biggest problem I have with the Fredi bashers. If you want to criticize him for not going with Kimbrel because it didn't work then give him credit for going with Garcia because that move did work.
    I'm not going to give him credit because it was still stupid.

He got lucky it worked. But Heaven forbid that we get at least one smart decision in the game. Nah, let's just leave CK in the bullpen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    Just wanted to post that in the 2010 NLDS Game 2, when Kimbrel pitched two perfect innings, he struck out 4 Giants batters. One of them was Juan Uribe.
    You do realize, and this is something nobody is really mentioning, that Uribe was trying to give himself up with a sac bunt. What if the bunt had worked, and it was a runner on 3rd with 1 out. I couldn't see Kimbrel not coming in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I guess message board posters are always right and never wrong. That's why you are labeled bashers instead of realists. You focus on the bad decisions he makes and never give him credit for the good things he does. Just remember he has more information at his disposal than any of you do. I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized but if you want people to take you seriously you have to realize not every decision you disagree with is the wrong one to make.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-17-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    I guess message board posters are always right and never wrong. That's why you are labeled bashers instead of realists. You focus on the bad decisions he makes and never give him credit for the good things he does. Just remember he has more information at his disposal than any of you do. I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized but if you want people to take you seriously you have to realize not every decision you disagree with is the wrong one to make.
    Sorry - but how can you defend the decision?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The Garcia move worked in that game. For sure. Kudos to Fredi. Wish he hadn't plunked it up. I still think it was a bad move in many different ways, but there is no argument that it worked in that game.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Nah, those are just baseless accusations. Not only do I credit Frddi when he makes good decisions, I defend him when he makes good ones and they don't work out. Not pitching Kimbrel was just a dumb decision, as were many of his moves in the series, specifically in that game, including the ones that worked out. You can't judge an individual decision based on the outcome.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-15-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    If Fredi's excuse is that Kimbrel hasnt had any 2 inning saves then he should try it out more often in the regular season. He probably shouldnt pitch back to back days but we have a former All Star closer in Walden who can help with that. It wouldnt be the worst thing in the world to get some other guys some save experience for when Kimbrel starts getting really expensive.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-16-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I suppose if he had started Janish instead of Simmons and Janish got a game ting/winning hit, you would have praised Fredi as well, even though it would have been a stupid move.

Just b/c a stupid decision happens to work out doesn't mean it wasn't still a stupid decision.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I suppose if he had started Janish instead of Simmons and Janish got a game ting/winning hit, you would have praised Fredi as well, even though it would have been a stupid move.

Just b/c a stupid decision happens to work out doesn't mean it wasn't still a stupid decision.
    Who gets to decide if it's a stupid decision or not? You think Fredi is trying to purposely put his team at a disadvantage or is it possible he had reasons why he chose to start Garcia instead of Medlen? Could it be he felt Medlen wouldn't be effective on short rest? FWIW, I disagreed with the decision to go with Garcia in a must win game as well but since it worked I'm willing to give him credit for the move instead of claiming I know more than he does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Who gets to decide if it's a stupid decision or not? You think Fredi is trying to purposely put his team at a disadvantage or is it possible he had reasons why he chose to start Garcia instead of Medlen? Could it be he felt Medlen wouldn't be effective on short rest? FWIW, I disagreed with the decision to go with Garcia in a must win game as well but since it worked I'm willing to give him credit for the move instead of claiming I know more than he does.
    So you only judge a decision based on the outcome, then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Not necessarily, I'm just saying there are reasons managers/coaches do what they do and we as fans, although we can disagree, don't have the final say as to whether a decision is a good one or bad one. If both pitchers were rested he would have obviously gone with Medlen, I'm offering a possible reason why he went in the direction he did. Every manager does what they believe will give their team the best chance to win. They aren't always right and neither are we. When a move of theirs works I think we should give them credit. It doesn't necessarily mean it was the right move but whatever went into that decision it ended up working so why beat up someone over it? There are too many decisions they make that don't work that we can focus on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    If the skins signed Tebow and benched Griffin and they won this Sunday, would you say it was a smart move?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Carpenter also allowed a homer to Hanley to make it 4-3 in game 2. So, it's not like he had been lights-out. It was risky throwing a rookie RP who had already allowed a bomb this series in right there, and we paid for it. Maybe Fredi will learn, but probably not.
    Carpenter isn't a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    Just wanted to post that in the 2010 NLDS Game 2, when Kimbrel pitched two perfect innings, he struck out 4 Giants batters. One of them was Juan Uribe.
    And then the very next game he couldn't make it through even one inning, got pulled, and then the game fell apart in one of the most crushing games I've ever personally attended. Granted, the circumstances are not the exact same, and I probably woulda used Kimbrel here, but rightly or wrongly that risk was likely weighing on Fredi's mind, knowing that he'd probably need him for both games.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    And then the very next game he couldn't make it through even one inning, got pulled, and then the game fell apart in one of the most crushing games I've ever personally attended. Granted, the circumstances are not the exact same, and I probably woulda used Kimbrel here, but rightly or wrongly that risk was likely weighing on Fredi's mind, knowing that he'd probably need him for both games.
    even if that example was on his mind

that is dumb to not use him since you have to have the first one to even think about maybe using him for the 2nd one

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Carpenter isn't a rookie.

We did have a travel day between games though. So Kimbrel would have gotten rest.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We did have a travel day between games though. So Kimbrel would have gotten rest.
    Which was the same as the situation I referenced.

I don't really care enough to actually defend Fredi here; just trying to get a handle on his thought process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Did anyone blame fredi when kimbrel blew the save in game 162 in 2011?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Did anyone blame fredi when kimbrel blew the save in game 162 in 2011?
    Probably did.

We could lose 140-0, get no hit, and people would blame Fredi.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Probably did.

We could lose 140-0, get no hit, and people would blame Fredi.
    Well, to be fair, he would probably put Avilan in when it was 136-0.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (10-18-2013)