Results 10,581 to 10,600 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Saw this from USA Today, projected standings. NL East seems about right, i think the top 4 teams beat up on each other a good bit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'd easily do Riley/Anderson/Wentz for Haniger
    I'd much rather be able to to see Trackman data on Anderson before I gave him up for Haniger, but with how stingy AA has been with prospects I trust him to trade away the right ones if it ever happens.

I'm lower on those guys than most folks on this board though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Saw this from USA Today, projected standings. NL East seems about right, i think the top 4 teams beat up on each other a good bit.

Man Baltimore is gonna be super awful for awhile now. A team devoid of MLB talent and a middling farm system. Even with the No.1 pick, I highly doubt they will be even mildly competitive for the next year's.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Man Baltimore is gonna be super awful for awhile now. A team devoid of MLB talent and a middling farm system. Even with the No.1 pick, I highly doubt they will be even mildly competitive for the next year's.
    Yeah even the Cubs, Braves, and Astros had some guys to build on, Orioles are in a terrible state of mind right now. They did alot of their trades last year to sign the Victor twins, and they failed at that.

They did hire a good GM from Houston but it's gonna take alot of creativity to get them to a contender.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Everyone wants to trade Ender for some reason.

His next 3 years are 7.7, 8 and team option for 9 mil. Thats very team friendly for a 3 WAR player, and one whose dependable. Worse comes to worse, he could be the 4th outfielder if you upgraded in one of the other spots, and Pache developed, or Waters took the minors by storm.

Pass on Keuchel imo.
    $8-$9 million for a 4th OF is so far beyond the Braves' budget, it's laughable. Re-read the post. IF AA would give up what it takes to get Haniger he could then listen on Ender next winter WHEN PACHE WILL BE READY. If he didn't get what he wanted, fine - just because he listens doesn't mean he HAS to trade him. Cross the bridge of what to do when you have 4 legitimate MLB starting OFs once you get there. Maybe platoon Ender and Pache in CF with one of them replacing Haniger late for defense in tight games.

Maybe you're one who's still buying the load of *hit AA and the brass are selling about having more money "available" after being lied to for the last year, and that's fine. I'd almost guarantee you that he listens on Ender as soon as Pache is ready - if saving $8 million when you've got someone ready to step in who's just as good, Markakis wouldn't be in RF right now and Flow and Mac likely wouldn't be behind the plate.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    we will not be looking into acquiring an OF for this year. markakis is that guy. he's not going to be a 4th OFer. that dream is dead.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (03-05-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

There's no way I'd peg the Braves as an 89-win team until I see Donaldson and Dansby on the field for at least 5 straight days. At this point, I wouldn't even overburden them with high expectations of being a .500 team until Donaldson at least gets ONE AB.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    we will not be looking into acquiring an OF for this year. markakis is that guy. he's not going to be a 4th OFer. that dream is dead.
    Where did you read anything about Markakis being a 4th OF???

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Where did you read anything about Markakis being a 4th OF???
    I didn't.
    my point is that acquiring haniger this year would push markakis to be the 4th OF. that's not going to happen.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    My post was about Ender as a 4th outfielder. Which re-thinking it isnt very smart financially.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I didn't.
    my point is that acquiring haniger this year would push markakis to be the 4th OF. that's not going to happen.
    Moving Nick to the bench wouldnt be bad, no? But unless the M's start out awful like 10-30, hard to see them selling that early.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    There's no way I'd peg the Braves as an 89-win team until I see Donaldson and Dansby on the field for at least 5 straight days. At this point, I wouldn't even overburden them with high expectations of being a .500 team until Donaldson at least gets ONE AB.
    Donaldson returns Wednesday, and Dansby plays today, but yeah that seems pretty high. But baseball is weird, never know what can happen over a season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Moving Nick to the bench wouldnt be bad, no? But unless the M's start out awful like 10-30, hard to see them selling that early.
    of course it wouldn't be bad. i'm not against it. i'm just saying it won't happen. they didn't sign him to be the 4th OF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The Ms aren't keeping Haniger to compete this year, so their 2019 record is completely inconsequential.

They appear to be keeping him as a cornerstone 2 years from now. Is that a smart move for a guy currently going into his age 28 season? Probably not, but it's the direction they seem to be taking.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    of course it wouldn't be bad. i'm not against it. i'm just saying it won't happen. they didn't sign him to be the 4th OF.
    Depends whats available at the trade deadline for outfielders.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I didn't.

Acquiring Haniger or not acquiring Haniger has nothing to do with Nick Markakis.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Acquiring Haniger or not acquiring Haniger has nothing to do with Nick Markakis.
    i mean, keep telling yourself that. we probably would not have acquired him anyway. now they won't even be looking to unless nick tanks or there's a major injury. markakis was signed to be at worst a starter as part of a platoon. there is no circumstance outside of injury where they would have ponied up the cost for haniger after signing markakis.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    i mean, keep telling yourself that. we probably would not have acquired him anyway. now they won't even be looking to unless nick tanks or there's a major injury. markakis was signed to be at worst a starter as part of a platoon. there is no circumstance outside of injury where they would have ponied up the cost for haniger after signing markakis.
    Haniger isn't in Atlanta because the Mariners don't really want to trade him and the Braves don't really want to give up prospects. Not that I'm really all that sure that the Braves have ever particularly targeted him as something they are dying to have.

Markakis isn't preventing the Braves from doing anything. they let him twist in the wind until his ask came down to backup money. That's not the action of a front office in love.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Ms aren't keeping Haniger to compete this year, so their 2019 record is completely inconsequential.

They appear to be keeping him as a cornerstone 2 years from now. Is that a smart move for a guy currently going into his age 28 season? Probably not, but it's the direction they seem to be taking.
    Dipoto is never content though, so hopefully we can capitalize on that either at the deadline or next off-season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Haniger isn't in Atlanta because the Mariners don't really want to trade him and the Braves don't really want to give up prospects. Not that I'm really all that sure that the Braves have ever particularly targeted him as something they are dying to have.

Markakis isn't preventing the Braves from doing anything. they let him twist in the wind until his ask came down to backup money. That's not the action of a front office in love.
    i didn't say haniger isn't in atlanta because of markakis. there are a bunch of reasons he's not. you're making this discussion something it never was.
    i said the braves won't be acquiring a starting-caliber OF before the season. and yes, that's due to markakis. he simply was not signed to be a backup, and he simply won't be a backup unless he starts to tank. he was signed to be, hopefully, part of a platoon. the braves needed an OF and turned back to markakis. if you think they'll make him a backup short of falling off a cliff, by all means, continue to believe that.