Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: who else likes Indie Rock?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    I get what you're saying about those bands having backing. And I like Hipster Runoff too. Regardless, they still make great music - earlier in the thread it seemed like you and others were acting like they were terrible and way overrated, and I just disagree with that. With some bands, I agree - I like Tame Impala, for instance, but I don't think they're as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Actually, I feel that way about Phantogram as well. A good band, but I don't understand all the hype. And the music is good but not revolutionary.

I do believe there is a way to have a discussion about the objective merits of certain music or certain bands in a critical sense, even if it's something you can't appreciate. Maybe Grizzly Bear is really just more meritorious than the other music that comes out in a given year, and a lot of critics agree with that. Similar to how you like Coldplay even though they're mainstream.. if it's good, it's good.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Also, I don't know if anyone else will remember this, but I really liked Left of Center (Sirius' old indie station, before the merger) much more than XMU. I still mostly like to XMU because it's the closest thing they have, but Left of Center appealed to my particular tastes more.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Giles the SXSW iTunes APP is up on the Apple TV so you can watch that band when they play.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Saturday will have the Pono questions answered when their kickstarter goes live

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/09/ponoplayer/

Player is expected to launch at 399.99 for 128 GB. Pretty steep.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    I get what you're saying about those bands having backing. And I like Hipster Runoff too.
    It's about time for Carles to update the site. Think the latest update was from early November? He's a got a great thing going - to satirize the music that he loves. One thing we can all agree, even if we all love the same general scene - there's plenty about indie bands and fans to be satirized!

Regardless, they still make great music - earlier in the thread it seemed like you and others were acting like they were terrible and way overrated, and I just disagree with that. With some bands, I agree - I like Tame Impala, for instance, but I don't think they're as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Can't speak for others, but my only point was to differentiate the overhyped part with maybe overrated, as a consequence, while other deserving acts don't receive the same attention. Everybody's free to like/dislike what they want. The point of this thread is just for everybody to express their opinions. Discuss whatever you want. We're not here to say "the band sucks, and you suck if you like them." This should be beyond high school-level discussion.

If there's a band that you think is overhyped, say so. With Tame Impala, "Mind Mischief" was a pretty cool tune, but "Elephant" was played to death. If other people think that they're full of awesomeness, who are we to begrudge them. In 2012, XMU played just about every song off the Dirty Projectors album. Honestly, the dude, who leads them, has some talent as far as being the creative force, but to my mind, his vocals are substandard at best. Just my reaction. Loved the song that Amber did with Major Lazer through, "Get Free."

On the other side, there are acts that weren't given the superhype that were favorites of mine: Wild Nothing, Ducktails (although Real Estate gets ample attention) and Small Black. By the same token, it wouldn't have been some form of validation if these had been on all of the "Best of the Year" lists.

Actually, I feel that way about Phantogram as well. A good band, but I don't understand all the hype. And the music is good but not revolutionary.
    They're not revolutionary, but this helps drive them:

Almost enough to make you forget the chick from Chairlift for a while!

I do believe there is a way to have a discussion about the objective merits of certain music or certain bands in a critical sense, even if it's something you can't appreciate. Maybe Grizzly Bear is really just more meritorious than the other music that comes out in a given year, and a lot of critics agree with that. Similar to how you like Coldplay even though they're mainstream.. if it's good, it's good.
    Of course, just decide what you like and don't like, based on your own tastes. Critics can be a guide, just like what your friends like. In the end, it's up to you to decide how it sounds. Something may seem hot, at the time, and then in a few years, it might not hold the same appeal.

Sky Ferreria is another one. Thought "Everything is Embarrassing" was great. Finally got the EP. Decent songs with variety of styles. She can sing, that's for sure. As far as the full length album, there's nothing else on par with "You're Not the One." BTW, the recording is terrible - no midrange at all. Hipster Runoff used to player those songs regularly. Here's the thing: she got massive record company backing. She'd been scouted out since she around 15 years old with clips on MySpace.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 03-10-2014 at 07:43 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-12-2014)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I don't necessarily think Phantogram are amazing or anything, but "Fall In Love" is definitely my current favorite song. Kinda obsessed with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rniki10 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Wasn't knocked out by the advance single from the new St. Vincent, but started warming up to it. Heard the second single off it this morning, and really enjoyed it. Probably will pick this up at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Cut Copy is going to be in town, one week from Tuesday. Getting tickets.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    RE: Cut Copy

In Ghost Colours is one of my all-time favorite albums. Didn't like Zonoscope, but have been listening to a few tracks ("Footsteps" mainly) from their new album and it's not too bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Need to start digging deeper into the work of Local Natives.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 03-30-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Was up in Toronto over the weekend (no, didn't go to the Mets-Blue Jays game on Saturday). Big concert schedule. Would've wanted to check out Dum Dum Girls at Lee's Palace, but they weren't going to come on until 10:45pm, and had to be up in the morning.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Need to start digging deeper into the work of Local Natives.
    Definitely one of my favorite bands. Favorite songs are "You and I" off Hummingbird and "Cubism Dream" off Gorilla Manor.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rniki10 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (04-01-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Going to see Tycho next month. Just trying to figure out which drug to obtain beforehand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rniki10 View Post
    Definitely one of my favorite bands. Favorite songs are "You and I" off Hummingbird and "Cubism Dream" off Gorilla Manor.
    "Wide Eyes" caught my attention. Loved the story of the last album. They were working in a Brooklyn apartment above the guy from The National, who had a new baby with his wife. He kept calling them to see if they could play with a little less volume, so that the baby could sleep. The experienced inspried "Heavy Feet."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Starting to like Interpol more and more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Caught Polica and Diiv this summer in separate shows at the same venue. Totally recommend seeing both acts!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

keithlaw (08-10-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Foster the People outdoor show on Thursday for $15. Anybody seen them?

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    I've started listening to more indie bands thanks to Knucksie's recommendations. My current favorite is Beach House. If you like Angelo Badalamenti's work, you'll like them. They even have Ray Wise in their Wishes video. I really like Motorama's Ghost too, but I haven't listened to anything else from them.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    My current favorite is Beach House. If you like Angelo Badalamenti's work, you'll like them. They even have Ray Wise in their Wishes video.
    Hmmmm

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

keithlaw (01-10-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    Hmmmm
    I can't believe we're getting a season 3

26. The Following User Says Thank You to keithlaw For This Useful Post: