Thread: Medlen and Beachy to change mechanics

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Medlen and Beachy to change mechanics

Medlen and Beachy focused on changing mechanics.

http://msn.foxsports.com/south/story...chanics-033014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    This shows how desperate their situation is. I wish them the best. Two very fun pitchers to watch and root for.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    The org needs to re-think its approach to development and handling of pitchers. Multiple TJ surgeries and changing delivery mechanics are band-up solutions, that does not get to the root cause. They need to use some more creative approaches, like when Smoltz used the sports psychologist. My suggestion to get them on yoga programs as part of their fitness and rehabilitation routines.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    But I thought they had great mechanics. I was certain Glavine was gonna teach Beachy's mechanics to his kid

I don't have much faith in Meds or Beachy being able to fix their problems. Ihope I'm wrong though. Medlen is a short guy, they don't last.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    But I thought they had great mechanics. I was certain Glavine was gonna teach Beachy's mechanics to his kid

I don't have much faith in Meds or Beachy being able to fix their problems. Ihope I'm wrong though. Medlen is a short guy, they don't last.
    Well Medlen is quoted as saying that his delivery used to be a lot shorter and tighter but then it got long and loose which lead to his arm problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    Well Medlen is quoted as saying that his delivery used to be a lot shorter and tighter but then it got long and loose which lead to his arm problems.
    Maybe that's the case. But I doubt it. Short pitchers don't have long pitching careers as starters.

Even if you look historically, look at Smokey Joe Wood, Fernando Valenzuela, Pedro, and more.

Only short pitcher in baseball right now who hasn't had injury concerns as a starter over a healthy sample is Lincecum. And he doesn't have bad mechanics, he's just gonna wind up hurting later because of his mechanics being so athletic.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I'm not sure there's anything here to see. The arm isn't meant to throw overhand on a downhill plane as hard as possible. It just isn't. Some guys hold up, others don't.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChadWC For This Useful Post:

57Brave (03-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Maybe that's the case. But I doubt it. Short pitchers don't have long pitching careers as starters.

Even if you look historically, look at Smokey Joe Wood, Fernando Valenzuela, Pedro, and more.

Only short pitcher in baseball right now who hasn't had injury concerns as a starter over a healthy sample is Lincecum. And he doesn't have bad mechanics, he's just gonna wind up hurting later because of his mechanics being so athletic.
    I don't understand why being short hurts Medlen. What does being short have to do with his arm falling or not falling off? And just a slight correction on Fernando, he pitched in the majors from 1981-1996. I would consider that a pretty long career with those 8 or 9 years with the Dodgers where he pitched at a HOF type level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything here to see. The arm isn't meant to throw overhand on a downhill plane as hard as possible. It just isn't. Some guys hold up, others don't.
    Yep.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,768 Posts
    A short person cannot generate the velocity a taller person can because of physics. Unless variables were changed like the size of a baseball physics just isn't friendly to shorter guys.

Because of this, medlen at times has to over compensate.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts

I don't have much faith in Meds or Beachy being able to fix their problems. I hope I'm wrong though. Medlen is a short guy, they don't last.
    My first thought when I saw that was say goodbye to Meds and Beachy then. I have doubts that one can significantly change their mechanics this late and still throw major league level strikes.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,997 Posts
    I don't understand why being short hurts Medlen. What does being short have to do with his arm falling or not falling off? And just a slight correction on Fernando, he pitched in the majors from 1981-1996. I would consider that a pretty long career with those 8 or 9 years with the Dodgers where he pitched at a HOF type level.
    Lack of leverage caused by his height led to overthrowing which led to his arm problems. There's a reason a lot of scouts stay away from short RHPs. Durability has always seemed to be a much bigger issue with them than with other pitchers. And before anyone brings up Kimbrel, I think the body types between Kimbrel and Medlen are a lot different and Kimbrel keeps his motion very tight. That said, I think we have to watch it with Kimbrel as well.

And what about Valenzuela. I don't see either zito or I saying it's not impossible for short pitchers to be successful. I think we're saying they are the exception to the rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Valenzuela I brought up because he pretty much fell off fast after his peak because he couldn't stick aruond. Saying he played that long is pretty much a lie.

From 88-97 he pitched 1124.1 innings. From 91-97 581.1.

Valenzuela had a hot start then couldn't hold up.

I included him because I think he's the path Lince winds up taking.

And as has been stated, it primarily has a leverage issue. When you're tall you put less effort in because gravity allows you to fall to the plate. When you're shorter one of 2 things likely happens to mimmick that. You are either jumping to not rush your arm but that causes you to lose power from your arm resulting in slower pitching, or more strain, or you have to accelerate your arm to catch up with your body.

Bad mechanics are bad mechanics which lead to timing issues and other problems.

For Kimbrel, which I've seen brought up more than once. Relievers seem to be able to hide their deficiencies with mechanics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Ok. Thanks guys.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Well said. Agreed 100%.

I meant with Dalyn's post, above: "I wish them the best. Two very fun pitchers to watch and root for." But I forgot to quote.
    Last edited by JohnAdcox; 04-01-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lack of leverage caused by his height led to overthrowing which led to his arm problems. There's a reason a lot of scouts stay away from short RHPs. Durability has always seemed to be a much bigger issue with them than with other pitchers. And before anyone brings up Kimbrel, I think the body types between Kimbrel and Medlen are a lot different and Kimbrel keeps his motion very tight. That said, I think we have to watch it with Kimbrel as well.

And what about Valenzuela. I don't see either zito or I saying it's not impossible for short pitchers to be successful. I think we're saying they are the exception to the rule.
    Maddux? Ford? Durable short pitchers are the exception. Durable tall pitchers are the exception, too.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Maddux? Glavine? Ford? Durable short pitchers are the exception. Durable tall pitchers are the exception, too.