Page 25 of 253 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Does any of our lefty friends who assured us free speech is fine and we are all paranoid want to comment on the NYC banning?
    I'm far from a lefty. Been conservative with literally my entire life with some middle leaning over the last few years. This is hardly the mountain you want to die on.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Libertarians are really the only ones with the right to complain about stuff like that. Both Democrats and Republicans want to limit the publics rights, just in different ways. There is a large portion on the right who want to use government authority to violently enforce their religious morals on unwilling people. Which is outright evil.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    She can be friends with whoever she wants. I dont care. On the other hand, how can I be friends with someone who advocates violence against me. Advocates for my rights and liberty to be stripped and put in a cage? Millions of people have been sexually assaulted because of policies this man enthusiastically supports. Because they had a shiny badge and doesnt make the victim feel any better about it. In fact it's worse. Imagine being sexually assaulted because you smoke a joint and the perpetrator is considered a hero.

Beyond that if W was president of any other country he would be considered a war criminal.
    How are you ever going to effect change on those you disagree with if you don't associate with them?

Here's a great article on exactly why befriending those who want to do violence against you is a good thing:

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/54486...up-their-robes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.atheists.org/2012/11/ack...ectly-to-jail/

Here is a Kentucky law upheld by their supreme court that can get you up to 12 months in prison if you dont acknoledge "almighty god".... and this is considered a Kentucky homeland security bill.....

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    How are you ever going to effect change on those you disagree with if you don't associate with them?

Here's a great article on exactly why befriending those who want to do violence against you is a good thing:

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/54486...up-their-robes

I prove that I am a good hard working and reliable person before I let people know I smoke weed. It would be hard to befriend cops and religious people who would probably rat on me. My safety comes first.

It’s over."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Guessing you mean "illegal alien". The other phrases "banned" were racists phrases like "Go back where you came from." The words/phrase itself isn't banned. The words/phrase used in a harmful intent has been added to a list banned discriminatory behavior. But you already knew this. Seems like another sensationalist post by you. Shocker.
    You support a government banning phrases.

Thank you for at least owning it. But I dont wanna hear any complaining about fascism out of you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I prove that I am a good hard working and reliable person before I let people know I smoke weed. It would be hard to befriend cops and religious people who would probably rat on me. My safety comes first.
    I think there's a difference between putting yourself at risk of actual harm and befriending someone who has beliefs that, if enacted by some authority, would harm you in some way.

For example, let's say I believe in criminalizing smoking on public sidewalks and you smoke frequently on sidewalks. My belief is that there should be a law that directly harms you. However, this political disagreement should not keep us from being friends. You can play with the intensity of the harm and the extremity of the regulation but the basic logic persists.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Thank you for at least owning it. But I dont wanna hear any complaining about fascism out of you.
    Once they ban one word or phrase, they’ll go to two and then three. You can’t open that door.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Once they ban one word or phrase, they’ll go to two and then three. You can’t open that door.
    Lol, give me a break.

Though I bet you're pro-life and anti gay marriage (total disclosure, I was in the past and I lean to the right on abortion, but far from far right on that issue). But totally, posing fines for using certain words in a threatening manner is absolutely a slippery slope to taking away our rights....
    Last edited by Carp; 10-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

What part of "The words/phrase itself isn't banned" is hard to comprehend? Using the words in a threatening or discriminatory manner is what is banned, not the word itself. News flash, all over the country it's illegal to say certain words/phrases in certain settings or in certain ways. Just like you can't scream bomb at an airport. I don't see you fighting the fascist government over that.

Furthermore, this is law is intended to fight against slumlords and sleezy business owners who are taking advantage of immigrants whether they are legal or illegal. I am not necessarily in total agreement with it, but stop with the banning words mantra. It's totally misleading and sensationalism.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-08-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    There is a sister thtead to this one dedicated to PC. Where a few posters complain and whines about unflattering speech directed towrds their political bent.
    But, it's all good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think there's a difference between putting yourself at risk of actual harm and befriending someone who has beliefs that, if enacted by some authority, would harm you in some way.

For example, let's say I believe in criminalizing smoking on public sidewalks and you smoke frequently on sidewalks. My belief is that there should be a law that directly harms you. However, this political disagreement should not keep us from being friends. You can play with the intensity of the harm and the extremity of the regulation but the basic logic persists.

I choose not to associate with people based on a few things but it's kind of a dont ask, dont tell policy. I also choose not to associate with women that have abortions or men that dont support their kid. I have literally told my Nephew if he has a kid and doesnt support it we ain't family anymore.

I consider myself at war with the groups of people that support marijuana prohibition. Those main groups are law enforcement, bible thumpers, and senior citizens. Not everyone in those groups feels that way but they are the last remaining hurdle. If this was a murky issue at all I would understand that people have different opinions.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    What part of "The words/phrase itself isn't banned" is hard to comprehend? Using the words in a threatening or discriminatory manner is what is banned, not the word itself. News flash, all over the country it's illegal to say certain words/phrases in certain settings or in certain ways. Just like you can't scream bomb at an airport. I don't see you fighting the fascist government over that.

Furthermore, this is law is intended to fight against slumlords and sleezy business owners who taken advantage of immigrants whether they are legal or illegal. I am not necessarily in total agreement with it, but stop with the banning words mantra. It's totally misleading and sensationalism.
    I should be able to say "**** you" to whoever I want without government persecution... do you disagree?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I should be able to say "**** you" to whoever I want without government persecution... do you disagree?
    It depends. Verbal assault is pretty well outlined in all states and has been for a long time. So if you approached someone yelling obscenities in threatening manner, you absolutely could be arrested.

But in general, I agree you should be able to say what you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Interestingly, the President is silent on China trying to ban free speech.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I find it interesting which speech is OK ("Trump is literally Hitler!") and which speech is not allowed ("goodlgle the people who are being put in concentration camps")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    The left doesn't even tolerate having a conversation with those of opposing viewpoints.

We saw it with Ellen. We see it here with Facebook. Did any conservatives get mad at GW Bush for speaking with Ellen?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I've been following this thread and waiting for sturg to link to actual attacks on free speech. Still haven't seen any. Meanwhile we have a president tweeting stories from only one or 2 sources and trying to be the news source for a whole collection of the population. ****ting all over freedom of the press.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I've been following this thread and waiting for sturg to link to actual attacks on free speech. Still haven't seen any. Meanwhile we have a president tweeting stories from only one or 2 sources and trying to be the news source for a whole collection of the population. ****ting all over freedom of the press.
    Lol NYC banned saying certain phrases.

But I advise you to.consult my first post in the thread.

If society doesnt value free spech' then we dont really have it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    The left does not value free speech