Page 20 of 579 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120520 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    For those who wanted Grandal, very small sample size, but he's getting booed by his own fans for his horrible NLCS. Errors, passed balls, strikeouts. He's now losing at bats to Austin Barnes who hits about .200.
    It doesn’t matter. I’d hope for It providing a discount

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    If DOB was talking about a $110M payroll like 2018 while including arbitration eligible players, and Bowman was using a projected $120M+ payroll and only including guaranteed contracts, the numbers match up pretty well.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the Braves will have $40M-$45M to spend on FAs after all the arb guys are settled...unless folks allow themselves to be fooled into thinking the Braves will suddenly have a $140M opening day payroll...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think you mean 1-3....
    I hope not

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Nah, posters on here who are obviously close to the organization have told me otherwise. They know best!
    OK, so you think the Braves can trade away Teheran and save $11M?

Please provide specific parameters to the deal, and we will revisit your thoughts later this offseason.

And project your 2019 opening day payroll. We will see how right you are about how much money the Braves have to spend.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-16-2018 at 11:00 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If DOB was talking about a $110M payroll like 2018 while including arbitration eligible players, and Bowman was using a projected $120M+ payroll and only including guaranteed contracts, the numbers match up pretty well.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the Braves will have $40M-$45M to spend on FAs after all the arb guys are settled...unless folks allow themselves to be fooled into thinking the Braves will suddenly have a $140M opening day payroll...
    I'm guessing 120M and we're at about 80M now, so yes $40M seems to be the right number.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm guessing 120M and we're at about 80M now, so yes $40M seems to be the right number.
    A couple NTs like Duvall and some BP arms gets them another $5M, and those guys are likely to be gone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Chico (10-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    OK, so you think the Braves can trade away Teheran and save $11M?

Please provide specific parameters to the deal, and we will revisit your thoughts later this offseason.

And project your 2019 opening day payroll. We will see how right you are about how much money the Braves have to spend.

Teheran can be given away if we want to. I understand why you would think other teams should not do that deal but it assumes every team is competently run. Once the free agents well dries up I bet there is a GM who will want a durable veteran for 1 year at 11 million with the upside of an option year if he pitches well. An AL team would be crazy to trade for him imo but I think he makes sense for the Rockies since he has a history of pitching well at Coors or the Padres who could hope for a fluke half season in a big pitchers park to be able to flip him mid season.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    I don't think that even factors in the $11m they can save by trading Teheran. Harper very well could happen if Bowman is right.
    "It seems the strong preference will be to part with some upper level talent to achieve cost-conscious but established pieces, rather than getting carried away with the bidding in free agency. Certainly, the Braves GM strongly indicated that fans hoping to land top free agents Bryce Harper or Manny Machado will be disappointed. “There’s the obvious big names up at the top, but I don’t know for our club, with what we have, that the value’s going to be there in the free-agent market,” Anthopoulos said. He suggested that the touchstone of value will govern — even if that means waiting for the middle of the 2019 season or beyond for certain desired acquisitions."

Not sure who's "close to the organization", but Machado or Harper simply isn't happening (no matter who's guessing right about how much money they have to spend) - AA said it himself right there.

Most upgrades are likely coming via trades involving some prospects many folks don't want to part with - for controllable pieces that aren't expensive.

This likely brings the Pirates' OFs, Haniger, Rosario, Merrifield, Realmuto, Sal Perez, Snell (assuming Tampa's willing to be overwhelmed), Paxton, and a handful of others forward as the types to focus on.

Given where they are at this point, trying to work out something for Paxton and Haniger would seem to make a good bit of sense - just not sure how bad it would hurt.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Does anyone want to take a shot on what it would cost to acquire Realmuto?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    AA said pretty much exactly what we already knew, and it's nice to see him saying things that make sense.

The fact Flowers was extended while Suzuki wasn't tells me they intend to use Flowers as the backup (or less than half-time role), and chase after a stud catcher. The only 2 clear options for that are Realmuto and Grandal. I would prefer Grandal, but the Braves may not be willing/able to give him $80M+.

There are probably a dozen viable position player targets we've discussed here, and likely another dozen we haven't even thought of yet. With so many trade assets and money play with, this is going to be a very entertaining off season.

It's looking fairly likely we won't see a simple Pollock/Grandal off season since there is bound to be at least 1 large trade, so it might be something like trade for Realmuto or Peralta, and sign Pollock or Grandal. I think I'd prefer to sign Grandal and trade for Peralta.

Too bad we will still have to listen to the Harper/Machado suggestions despite AA bluntly stating they won't be targets.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-16-2018 at 01:07 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Does anyone want to take a shot on what it would cost to acquire Realmuto?
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8721
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    So we're looking at around 55M surplus value?

Wright or Anderson
    Waters
    Allard, Wilson, or Muller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA said pretty much exactly what we already knew, and it's nice to see him saying things that make sense.

The fact Flowers was extended while Suzuki wasn't tells me they intend to use Flowers as the backup (or less than half-time role), and chase after a stud catcher. The only 2 clear options for that are Realmuto and Grandal. I would prefer Grandal, but the Braves may not be willing/able to give him $80M+.

There are probably a dozen viable position player targets we've discussed here, and likely another dozen we haven't even thought of yet. With so many trade assets and money play with, this is going to be a very entertaining off season.

It's looking fairly likely we won't see a simple Pollock/Grandal off season since there is bound to be at least 1 large trade, so it might be something like trade for Realmuto or Peralta, and sign Pollock or Grandal. I think I'd prefer to sign Grandal and trade for Peralta.

Too bad we will still have to listen to the Harper/Machado suggestions despite AA bluntly stating they won't be targets.
    I agree. Machado or Harper are pipe dreams. Realmuto and Pollock would be a huge coup and very realistic what could and probably will happen this offseason. Maybe not those exact 2 but something along those lines. Adding those 2 pieces and a bullpen and bench piece would probably make us the favorites in the NL going into next season. I’d even talk to Josh Donaldson about maybe a one year deal with an option.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    So we're looking at around 55M surplus value?

Wright or Anderson
    Waters
    Allard, Wilson, or Muller
    8 wins over 2 years for ~$16M represents closer to $65M in surplus value.

The Marlins will almost certainly want a FV 55+ guy as a headliner ($40M+), and 2/3 more FV 45/50 guys to fill out the package.

Headliners for the Braves could include Pache, Soroka, Riley, Wright, Anderson, and maybe Gohara or Newk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There are alternatives to Grandal and Reamulto for improving at catcher.

I would talk to the Pirates about Cervelli. He has one year on his deal left and would cost much less in the way of prospect capital.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

I would talk to the Pirates about Cervelli. He has one year on his deal left and would cost much less in the way of prospect capital.
    What will Wilson Ramos cost?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Why would the Pirates trade Cervelli for prospects a few months after trading prospects for Archer?

I find it highly unlikely they follow up a massive win now move like Archer with a move that costs them their present catcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Why would the Pirates trade Cervelli for prospects a few months after trading prospects for Archer?

I find it highly unlikely they follow up a massive win now move like Archer with a move that costs them their present catcher.
    why would they trade for Archer a few months after they traded away Cole

things change

i'm not saying they will be open to trading Cervelli...i advocated asking them about him...if they say no we move on...

maybe they will ask us to take Archer off their hands as part of the deal
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    MLBTR broke down the catcher market here:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...t-catcher.html

The only clear upgrades over Suzuki listed are Grandal, Ramos, Realmuto, and speculatively Cervelli.

If the Pirates are truly as adrift as they appear to be, maybe Cervelli would be available.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    8 wins over 2 years for ~$16M represents closer to $65M in surplus value.

The Marlins will almost certainly want a FV 55+ guy as a headliner ($40M+), and 2/3 more FV 45/50 guys to fill out the package.

Headliners for the Braves could include Pache, Soroka, Riley, Wright, Anderson, and maybe Gohara or Newk.
    so far the marlins look like they go to mlbpipeline and pull up the list. They then make you give your number one guy.

I think Realmuto starts with Soroka or maybe Wright if the injury scares them off of Soroka.

I'm not a fan of the realmuto trade. I liked the idea last off season with a big deal but he's too high profile now and too expensive.

I'm thinking we do something really weird and get Verdugo.