Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Chase Utley (lite) to a minor league deal

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    He actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Assuming Hart & Company are going to do everything in their power to protect the youngsters' service time, this buys ALL OF 2015 for Peraza, Peterson, and Toscano to continue to refine things in Gwinnett. It gets you one year closer to the end of Johnson's deal (meaning you're not burning Peterson's service time as a utility/platoon guy), gets you to the end of Callaspo's deal (same situation for Peraza), and gives Toscano the entire year to adjust to life in the States.

I (of all people) certainly understand the reasoning of those that pan the signing, but if this really going to be 70-75 win team why burn time off the clocks of those guys we hope will be parts of the next contender???

In the "yaneverknow" category, if Peterson looks like he could turn into an everyday 2B and Ruiz develops as hoped, you can shift Peraza to CF.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Would YOU sign Kelly Johnson to a minor league deal?

Beats at least some of the alternatives. Welcome back, ghost of KJ!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-21-2015), Braves1976 (01-21-2015), jpx7 (01-21-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Assuming Hart & Company are going to do everything in their power to protect the youngsters' service time, this buys ALL OF 2015 for Peraza, Peterson, and Toscano to continue to refine things in Gwinnett. It gets you one year closer to the end of Johnson's deal (meaning you're not burning Peterson's service time as a utility/platoon guy), gets you to the end of Callaspo's deal (same situation for Peraza), and gives Toscano the entire year to adjust to life in the States.
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how Hart handles these guys from a service time perspective and the KJ move definitely offers more flexibility. To me, it's a no brainer to keep Peraza down until June or so to ensure he is not a super-two.

Jace and Folty are more interesting cases. They have 58 and 59 days of service time, respectively. We'd need to keep them down until early June to delay their free agency clock a year. If we wanted to prevent them from eventually qualifying as super-twos, we'd have to keep them down until early August. With Jace profiling as a utility guy, I'd guess they won't worry as much about him. Folty kind of makes you think twice though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how Hart handles these guys from a service time perspective and the KJ move definitely offers more flexibility. To me, it's a no brainer to keep Peraza down until June or so to ensure he is not a super-two.

Jace and Folty are more interesting cases. They have 58 and 59 days of service time, respectively. We'd need to keep them down until early June to delay their free agency clock a year. If we wanted to prevent them from eventually qualifying as super-twos, we'd have to keep them down until early August. With Jace profiling as a utility guy, I'd guess they won't worry as much about him. Folty kind of makes you think twice though.
    Yea, I agree it would be stupid to lose a year of Peraza in a rebuilding season. I don't mind signing KJ since he can play second, third and left field. The positions he plays helps us with depth and could down the road provide a replacement for a traded player (such as CJ if he bounces back, or even Callaspo if a contender wants him at some point). Plus if CJ struggles we could pair KJ with Callaspo at third and play CJ even less (such as only vs lefties or pitchers he's hit best).

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,018 Posts
    So our roster should be pretty much set now, with the possible exception of landing Gomes.

Catchers (2)
    Bethancourt
    Prick

Infielders (7)
    Freeman
    Callaspo
    KJ
    Peterson
    Gosselin
    Simba
    CJ

Outfielders (4)
    Gomes
    BJ
    Markakis
    Almonte
    Or if we don't bring in Gomes, Terdo or Cunningham.

Pitchers (12)
    Julio
    Minor
    Wood
    Miller
    5th starter - Hale/Banuelos/that dude from the Astros

Kimbrel
    Grilli
    Johnson
    Simmons
    Russell
    Two of Outman/Avilan/Kohn/Viz/maybe Hale

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (01-21-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

I (of all people) certainly understand the reasoning of those that pan the signing, but if this really going to be 70-75 win team why burn time off the clocks of those guys we hope will be parts of the next contender???

In the "yaneverknow" category, if Peterson looks like he could turn into an everyday 2B and Ruiz develops as hoped, you can shift Peraza to CF.
    I'm fine with the move but Jace is MLB ready. KJ should not take any playing time away from him. I think KJ was just signed to have a chance to win a super UTIL spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    So our roster should be pretty much set now, with the possible exception of landing Gomes.

Catchers (2)
    Bethancourt
    Prick

Infielders (7)
    Freeman
    Callaspo
    KJ
    Peterson
    Gosselin
    Simba
    CJ

Outfielders (4)
    Gomes
    BJ
    Markakis
    Almonte

Pitchers (12)
    Julio
    Minor
    Wood
    Miller

Kimbrel
    Grilli
    Johnson
    Simmons
    Russell
    I am not sure we'd carry both Peterson and Gosselin if KJ makes the roster too. Callaspo, Peterson, Gosselin and KJ are similar players in that all four are mostly 2B/3B, though only Peterson and Gosselin are back-up options at short too. So one of Peterson or Gosselin could end up in Gwinnett if KJ makes the team. Further, Outman signed a Major league deal so he's likely to make the team. I'd also expect Wandy and hopefully Banuelos to be the main competition for Hale and the 5th starter spot. I don't see Forty or Wang being any real factor for various reasons.

That said, I am hoping Gomes ends up signing with that AL team interested in him. This way at least one of Joey T, Hunter, Cunningham and co. get a shot at making the team.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-21-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,018 Posts
    Forgot about Wandy and Wang. Oh, the marginal players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    At least there will be no shortage of penis jokes between Wood, the Johnsons Three, BJ, and Wang.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,018 Posts
    And Peterson. And A.J. Prickcynzki.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Smart move, hoping for a Johnson & Johnson 3B platoon. Should be moderately productive.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I think we should sign Langerhans and Davies too, bring Francoeur back while we are at it.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-21-2015), FreemanFan (01-22-2015), NinersSBChamps (01-22-2015)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I see no issues or complaints with this move. Hes not a starter at this point, hes a backup/utility guy, and he probably can play 1b and 3b now to go along with OF and 2B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I still like Johnson, but he's not really starting material anymore. Good signing for the bench or as a platoon partner. He still has those reverse splits though, so it's guaranteed that Fredi will ignore this and we will get the least amount of production possible out of him.
    To be fair, KJ has been equally terrible vs both LHP and RHP for the last couple of yrs. So I don't think the reverse splits are going to matter too much. Just keep ur expectations low, and you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Carp; 01-21-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Smart move, hoping for a Johnson & Johnson 3B platoon. Should be moderately productive.
    That 3B platoon should be our clean up hitter(s).
    The 70s & 80s were worse...

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post

Catchers (2)
    Bethancourt
    Prick

Infielders (7)
    Freeman
    Callaspo
    KJ
    Peterson
    Gosselin
    Simba
    CJ

Outfielders (4)
    Gomes
    BJ
    Markakis
    Almonte

Pitchers (12)
    Julio
    Minor
    Wood
    Miller

Kimbrel
    Grilli
    Johnson
    Simmons
    Russell
    That's a team capable of some damage this season!
    The 70s & 80s were worse...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I was never that big a KJ fan, but I've been lobbying for him to be signed since the first day of free agency. Good three (or four) position guy who could give us some flexibility. Probably should be a solid pinch hitter as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was never that big a KJ fan, but I've been lobbying for him to be signed since the first day of free agency. Good three (or four) position guy who could give us some flexibility. Probably should be a solid pinch hitter as well.
    Now we know the real reason Wren was fired. This is Hart's ace move that brings it all together. I think I've misjudged him. I'm sorry.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    That's a team capable of some damage this season!
    To whom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    To be fair, KJ has been equally terrible vs both LHP and RHP for the last couple of yrs. So I don't think the reverse splits are going to matter too much. Just keep ur expectations low, and you won't be disappointed.
    My expectations are already rock bottom.

There's still like a 30 point difference in his splits. We could use all the help we can get right now.