Thread: System Depth: Pitching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

System Depth: Pitching

The way I classify minor league pitching talent is a bit different than position players. It is based on a few observations.

First, most teams put their more talented pitchers into the rotation and try to develop them that way. This leads me to generally rate guys who are starting for their minor league teams ahead of guys are relieving. Many pitchers in major league bullpens were starters in the minors. Of course there are exceptions, such as Kimbrel. There is one guy currently relieving in the minors who might be an exception of that type, Shae Simmons.

Second, I give a fair amount of weight to platoon splits. If a pitcher has significant splits, it suggests to me that he will need to be moved to the bullpen at some point in order to minimize the damage that opposite-handed batters will do against him. This leads me to classify starters into two groups. Those effective enough against opposite-handed hitters to have a good chance to remain starters in the majors and those likely to get moved to the pen.

With that as a preamble here is my take on our pitching talent. We start with a foundation of three young guys already in the majors who will be under team control for 5 or 6 more years: Teheran, Wood and Avilan. That's a great foundation.

Among the guys in the minors, I think there are six who are potential major league starters, a number of starters with a good chance to make it to the majors as relievers, and some promising guys who are pitching as relievers in the minors.

Potential major league starters: Sims, Cabrera, Graham, Hursh, Parsons, Thomas. I list them in order of upside potential. I'm sure the inclusion of the last two will raise some eyebrows, but they both had outstanding seasons and showed an ability to be effective against opposite-handed hitters. Graham's shoulder injury does raise the question of whether it might be best to move him to the pen, but I think the Braves will give him one more year to develop further as a starter.

Starters who project more as relievers or 5th starters in the majors: Martin, Gilmartin, Hale, Northcraft, Schlosser. Note that there is only one lefty on this list.

Minor league relievers with a decent chance to make it to the majors: Simmons, Harper, Jaime, Cornely, Lamm, Hyatt, Carlos Perez. Note there is also only one lefty on this list.

Unlike with the hitters, I've left off minor league pitchers who have mainly pitched in the Rookie Leagues this past season. There are a group of college pitchers we just drafted who have shown promise, but we need to see then in full-season leagues to get a real handle on their potential. The same could be said of the high school and international pitchers who have yet to pitch in full-season leagues.

Overview: We have sufficient young pitching depth imo to allow us to avoid getting tangled up in long-term contracts to pitchers. This is important as it will free up money for the guys who should be our main priority (Heyward, Freeman, Justin Upton and a few years down the line Simmons). I think we are a bit short in terms of lefties, but as we saw with Scott Downs at this year's trade deadline, you can usually find some decent ones at reasonable prices on the trade market.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-04-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Good job nsacpi. The one guy I would add to the list of relievers is lefty Eric Pfisterer. He has completely dominated Rome with an ERA of 2.14, WHIP of .833, K/BB ratio of 6.22, K/9 of 12.0 with opposing batters hitting only .176 against him. Those are all eye-popping numbers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I'd like to see Thomas get a call-up and see what he looks like. Downfall is he's a lefty and we already have 3 on the staff as it is already. I'd still like to see what he can do in the ML level as his numbers are just down right nasty. Even at 26 there are plenty of guys his age and older who are not even coming close to the dominance he is displaying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Good job nsacpi. The one guy I would add to the list of relievers is lefty Eric Pfisterer. He has completely dominated Rome with an ERA of 2.14, WHIP of .833, K/BB ratio of 6.22, K/9 of 12.0 with opposing batters hitting only .176 against him. Those are all eye-popping numbers.
    I almost added Pfisterer to the list, but couldn't overlook the fact he was playing in Rome at age 23. I wish the Braves had given him a mid-season promotion given the way he was dominating there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    With Walden out at least another week or two with lingering groin issues and this last month less and less meaningful, some minor league relievers should soon get some innings in Atlanta.