Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Simpson to Radio. Frenchy Replaces Him

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I disagree with Frenchy on quite a bit and he's just as much a dinosaur as Joe regarding analytics, but I think he'll be better. Joe really started developing that "Get Off My Lawn, Stop Skateboarding" attitude in the past couple of years. We'll still have to deal with the mocking of launch angles, but we won't be getting any more gems about the organist or Dodgers BP fashion.
    Frenchy is cheerful and his experience with the game is a lot more relevant and recent. He's more pleasant to listen to.

I think it's a little more relevant to hear a recent player gripe about the changes in baseball rather than similar things from grumpy old man decades removed from the game. Frenchy legitimately represents the current attitudes of a class of players. That's more helpful than anything.

And he's occasionally funny. Plus his stories about the Braves or guys who recently played rather than George Brett or Robin Yount or whatever. Diminishing returns for those stories these days.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but to me listening to Frenchy, he comes off as a dope who doesn't provide much to the broadcast. I guess i'm spoiled living here in NYC and listening to plenty of Mets broadcasts. It's a pleasure to listen to Ron Darling analyze a game.

On the other and, I actually like Chip. Yes he's a bit of buffoon, but his excitable attitude keeps me entertained.

It was definitely time for Joe to go. He clearly wore out his welcome after causing controversy multiple times this year.

Chip and Frenchy and Byrd will be ok . I find them all pretty likable. I like glavine too.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I disagree with Frenchy on quite a bit and he's just as much a dinosaur as Joe regarding analytics, but I think he'll be better. Joe really started developing that "Get Off My Lawn, Stop Skateboarding" attitude in the past couple of years. We'll still have to deal with the mocking of launch angles, but we won't be getting any more gems about the organist or Dodgers BP fashion.
    Launch angle deserves mocking...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbraves View Post
    I miss Ernie, Skip, and Pete...
    Don't we all but if they were here, only Pete would attempt to embrace analytics and that would be half hearted.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-29-2018), gcbraves (11-29-2018), JohnAdcox (11-29-2018)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    That's very true. I miss their style of broadcasting more than anything. They made those long losing years interesting enough to pay attention to.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-29-2018), JohnAdcox (11-29-2018), VirginiaBrave (11-29-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Chip brings the level down of everyone in the booth.

I dont think Joe would be as bad as he was the last few years if Chip wasn't such a yes man and gave him layup lead in questions for everything.

When Joe worked with Sciambi they were actually not bad to watch. Because Sciambi wasnt trying to be Skip's successor. Chip unfortunately is nowhere near the PBP or broadcaster his dad was.

Unfortunately Frenchy isnt that much better in regards to Joe in terms of embracing analytics. Glavine really isnt either but at least like Sutton, I would rather listen to Glavine talk about pitching than have Chip scream on every routine fly ball to the outfield as if it were going over the fence.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-29-2018), gcbraves (11-29-2018), JohnAdcox (11-29-2018), VirginiaBrave (11-29-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Joe is the absolute worst.

My listening experience will drastically improve, but it’s going to wreck my content-contributions on the board.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

My listening experience will drastically improve, but it’s going to wreck my content-contributions on the board.
    Eh. You were Never that good anyway so no big loss on the board.
    Coppy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-29-2018)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

Looks like you'll have to do what you do best, and that's go back to the political board and write up long philosophical posts about income inequality that gets sturg riled up because it's not the simple yes or no answer he's looking for.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-29-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    Chip brings the level down of everyone in the booth.

I dont think Joe would be as bad as he was the last few years if Chip wasn't such a yes man and gave him layup lead in questions for everything.

When Joe worked with Sciambi they were actually not bad to watch. Because Sciambi wasnt trying to be Skip's successor. Chip unfortunately is nowhere near the PBP or broadcaster his dad was.

Unfortunately Frenchy isnt that much better in regards to Joe in terms of embracing analytics. Glavine really isnt either but at least like Sutton, I would rather listen to Glavine talk about pitching than have Chip scream on every routine fly ball to the outfield as if it were going over the fence.
    I'm obviously not one of those pining for the broadcasts to turn completely analytics-based, so I'm OK with Chip and his overly-excited explosions at times - after all, most of us like to get fired-up when things happen since we're still Braves fans. As mentioned earlier, my biggest problem with pairing he and Joe together was the way he just kinda rolls over every time Joe decided to go off on some of his stupid rants. It's not like Frenchy will help much in discussing the numbers, but he can't possibly take Joe's "get off my lawn" stance toward them or they likely wouldn't have made this change in the first place. I'd expect that they also sat down with Chip and explained that a big part of the reason for the change has to do with the fact that he and Joe turned so many people off when they bitched about analytics that he needs to start working a lot more of the information he's being handed into the broadcasts or they'll replace him as well.

At the very least, most of Frenchy's stories will have much more to do with players our fans won't mind hearing instead of long-winded talks about how great it was to be part of the Dodgers' organization in the good old days.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I think Chip just always rolls over and cedes to Joe because Joe and his father were colleagues and good friends for such a long time.

So it's like he doesn't want to really step on his toes on anything or pushback. But Chip doesn't appear to do anything different with the other guys in the booth either. So who knows.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Launch angle deserves mocking...
    Don't say that to our recent 23 million dollar signee

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Those were the days man. Such a great group

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (11-30-2018)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    I think you’re speaking on behalf of every Braves fan on that.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (11-30-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Capt Caveman will re-earn his nick name in the booth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Guys, this is worse. Now there’s no escape from both Chip and Joe.

This is clearly a ploy to increase attendance. Well played, Braves. Well played.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2018)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Joe was garbage

hope he is all the way out soon

maybe he quits after 2019 cause he is butthurt over this
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

26. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2018)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    frenchy sounds like a dumb georgia boy. he sounds like a nice guy and all, but it's obvious he never made it past high school education. probably perfect for low educated braves country.

i did hear him call a home run a rally killer last year. good fresh thinking here.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm obviously not one of those pining for the broadcasts to turn completely analytics-based, so I'm OK with Chip and his overly-excited explosions at times - after all, most of us like to get fired-up when things happen since we're still Braves fans. As mentioned earlier, my biggest problem with pairing he and Joe together was the way he just kinda rolls over every time Joe decided to go off on some of his stupid rants. It's not like Frenchy will help much in discussing the numbers, but he can't possibly take Joe's "get off my lawn" stance toward them or they likely wouldn't have made this change in the first place. I'd expect that they also sat down with Chip and explained that a big part of the reason for the change has to do with the fact that he and Joe turned so many people off when they bitched about analytics that he needs to start working a lot more of the information he's being handed into the broadcasts or they'll replace him as well.

At the very least, most of Frenchy's stories will have much more to do with players our fans won't mind hearing instead of long-winded talks about how great it was to be part of the Dodgers' organization in the good old days.
    lol. their poo pooing of analytics is not the main reason they are disliked.
    do you really think low educated braves country has any idea about math beyond 2nd grade addition? come on now.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Joe has had a few grumpy moments, but overall I’ve never understood the strong dislike towards him. But to each their own.

It’s not fair to have to follow in the steps of Skip, Pete, Ernie. I still miss them like crazy.