Thread: To trade or not to trade

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    JD: 1.3 WAR
    Ender: -.3 WAR

JD (although on a cold streak), is not the problem.

Yes, I’m sure had AA known Riley would do what he has done...he would not have signed him.

Just like if he would have known Viz and O’day would not pitch...Venters, Biddle, Minter, Sobotka, Carle, Parsons, and Winkler would ALL forget how to pitch and every last one of them sent down to AAA or released...I’m very sure he would have added bullpen help.

In actually putting that down and reading it....how are we over .500?? That’s our ENTIRE bullpen to start the season?!?! And what’s the chances they ALL do this??

Where would we be with no Luke Jackson??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Somebody gets it. And it didn't take a slide rule, pocket protector, and spreadsheet to do it.
    Lol, a true anti-intellectual

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

Yes, I’m sure had AA known Riley would do what he has done...he would not have signed him.

Just like if he would have known Viz and O’day would not pitch...Venters, Biddle, Minter, Sobotka, Carle, Parsons, and Winkler would ALL forget how to pitch and every last one of them sent down to AAA or released...I’m very sure he would have added bullpen help.

In actually putting that down and reading it....how are we over .500?? That’s our ENTIRE bullpen to start the season?!?! And what’s the chances they ALL do this??

Based on recent performance, Minter will spell Blevins soon, Sobotka can return (Snit really likes him) and Touki likely goes back. Parsons has not allowed an ER in AAA, but there won't be a spot for him until Folty goes back on the IL.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Hold on to Ender. Donaldson I would pay his fare out of town. Ranks with the Uptons on my favorite Braves list. I am kind of glad he is crapping the bed anyway so there is little chance of a re-sign.
    If Donaldson has crapped the bed so far this season then Ender has been ****ting all over the house. Like so much that you need to just pack up and move.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    If Donaldson has crapped the bed so far this season then Ender has been ****ting all over the house. Like so much that you need to just pack up and move.
    Otis Nixon without the wheels.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Based on recent performance, Minter will spell Blevins soon, Sobotka can return (Snit really likes him) and Touki likely goes back. Parsons has not allowed an ER in AAA, but there won't be a spot for him until Folty goes back on the IL.
    But the fact remains that they all performed so badly....they were sent back to AAA. Hopefully a few regain form....that’s still bat nuts so many failed.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

Expecting health from Vizcaino was stupid - that's not really a hill I think anyone wants to die on. Name his last healthy season - *ell, half-season for that matter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Expecting health from Vizcaino was stupid - that's not really a hill I think anyone wants to die on. Name his last healthy season - *ell, half-season for that matter.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    38.1 IP constitutes a "healthy season"?

I'll buy that as a half-season. Of course that means he should be a $10 million plus pen arm since you're paying him for his full-year production, right?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    38.1 IP constitutes a "healthy season"?

I'll buy that as a half-season. Of course that means he should be a $10 million plus pen arm since you're paying him for his full-year production, right?
    half-season. 2017 for a full season.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Ok...how about the other eight pitchers??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Derp master just came in and derped all over this thread haha.

It takes a truly gifted moron to botch the logic surrounding the assertion “AA should have addressed the BP”, but he managed to do it!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    half-season. 2017 for a full season.
    Not that you're wrong, but Viz missed about 17 days in July that year due to injury. I'm fairly certain he's missed time due to injury every single year he's been in the bigs.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not that you're wrong, but Viz missed about 17 days in July that year due to injury. I'm fairly certain he's missed time due to injury every single year he's been in the bigs.
    He has. He's never been able to stay healthy at any point in his pro career.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    You probably took this one step too far but I agree with you that expecting anything from Viz this year was a mistake. We knew at the end of last year that he was having shoulder problems and we couldn’t use him for more than 1 inning and couldn’t use him on back to back days. Considering the serious nature of shoulder issues with pitchers he should not have been relied on.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The fact this was a clv-special should tell you all you need to know about this idea...

Respectfully, here are the holes in this idea:

- As evidenced by the JDM trade, rental sluggers don't return much at all at the trade deadline.
    - The notion the Braves could get a position prospect like Frazier for 2 months of JD is asinine.
    - If the Braves made the postseason, they would have a roughly 7%-8% chance to win the WS.
    - Postseason appearances generate a lot of (future) revenue, so it's not "WS or bust".
    - Teams with postseason aspirations are not going to trade away a 4 win player.
    - There are many other ways to improve the BP that don't involve losing a 4 win player.
    - Downgrading from a 4 win star to a platoon involving a recently demoted player is counterproductive.
    - The MLB bench would be weaker, and there would be less insurance against injury.

I'm sure others can politely point out other glaring holes in this clv-special...

The only scenario where a JD trade makes sense is if the Braves fall out of contention by late July. What the threshold is that constitutes "out of contention" is open for debate, but I would suggest it is anything under ~10% of making the playoffs. The Braves playoff odds currently sit at 55.1%, so they have a ways to fall for this scenario to occur.

Aww, c'mon. You know I wasn't saying the Braves were going to get a quality position player. I suggested that MAYBE they could get bullpen pieces. And that winning another division title is pretty much a participation trophy when this team isn't structured to beat, say, the Dodgers. Also, please note that I was suggesting a hypothetical when I use words like ASSUME. (Also, if a team doesn't advance past the first round or so, it's pretty much break even. It's not a windfall. But that is completely beside the point.) I wasn't even suggesting that was a position I hold. I'm honestly not sure how any of that was unclear, but shoot me a message and I'll send you my phone number so I can help with the hard words.