Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think that the short answer is that these issues are interrelated. Affordable housing shortages and the transportation infrastructure required when segments of the workforce get priced out of the community take public investment to address. If Amazon HQ2 exacerbates those problems, but isn’t contributing enough to public coffers to help mitigate them, it all sorta looks like one problem, no? Every growing community faces similar issues, albeit most on a much smaller scale. But a lot of it boils down to what choices and compromises you’re willing to make to balance pure economic development with quality of life for all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Doesnt New York have the highest taxes outside California? Those workers will all pay taxes on their paycheck and again when they spend it. As far as I know the tax breaks are limited at 3 billion. I dont know how long that would last but beyond that theres tax revenue.

I never buy into a government not having enough money. Its just a matter of priority.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Doesnt New York have the highest taxes outside California? Those workers will all pay taxes on their paycheck and again when they spend it. As far as I know the tax breaks are limited at 3 billion. I dont know how long that would last but beyond that theres tax revenue.

I never buy into a government not having enough money. Its just a matter of priority.
    Basically Amazon negotiated a 10% tax discount... it was estimated they would generate $27b in tax revenues, so NYC is losing $24b in new taxes generated.

AOC seems to think NYC was writing Amazon a $3b check to come there by pulling it directly from salaries of teachers.

She's an idiot, of course. I'm getting a kick out if how pissed De Blasio is at her

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Aoc is a prime example that colleges arent centers of learning but radicalization hubs for the progressive movement.

Economics degree and was a bartender. She is so dumb on all things money and yet far too many are willing to give her control over such matters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post

Tax data by state. Some of the results looks surprising to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_..._United_States
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    What’s particularly funny about this is watching people who have railed against this kind of thing—in sturg’s case, he already went on record against the Amazon HQ2 giveaway, and thethe is often screeding against elites and big tech companies screwing the little guy—now trying to pick their way through a scenario where this kind of thing is in principal bad, but this deal is actually good and Boricua Satan is responsible for killing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    What’s particularly funny about this is watching people who have railed against this kind of thing—in sturg’s case, he already went on record against the Amazon HQ2 giveaway, and thethe is often screeding against elites and big tech companies screwing the little guy—now trying to pick their way through a scenario where this kind of thing is in principal bad, but this deal is actually good and Boricua Satan is responsible for killing it.
    There are a lot of subtle things about these corporate pork deals that need careful number crunching. For example, will the new jobs be for people hired from outside New York. If so, will the influx of new people crowd out some of the people currently in the city (the adjustment mechanism for this is prices, ie rents). From the perspective of the people running the city, does this crowding out matter? And if so, how do you account for it in your cost benefit assessment?

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Sun Trust Stadium ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Sun Trust Stadium ?
    yup...another good example

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    politics makes strange bedfellows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I never once said the deal is good or bad - I'm railing against the financial stupidity of the left.

Amazon coming to NY personally helped my financial situation and I'm still find with them changing their minds.

However, you also proved that you didn't understand the finances behind this potential deal so fitting for you to try to save some face.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There are a lot of subtle things about these corporate pork deals that need careful number crunching. For example, will the new jobs be for people hired from outside New York. If so, will the influx of new people crowd out some of the people currently in the city (the adjustment mechanism for this is prices, ie rents). From the perspective of the people running the city, does this crowding out matter? And if so, how do you account for it in your cost benefit assessment?
    NY has gone through a massive gentrification of the Brooklyn and now Western Queens area. This is just a continuation of pushing out poor minority families in place of hipsters spending their parents money and young professionals who are earning their way in life.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/how-rep-i...ghly-concerned

Nothing to see here - No reason to believe that a significant radicalized Islamic population exists now in Minneapolis and they view Omar as their representative.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Dude.

One can be against corporate subsidies, as I am, while also laughing and being scared to death at the new darling of the left's staggering stupidity when it comes to these issues (and remembering she is now on the finance committee)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think that’s one of the biggest sticky issues within the community about the the “X-thousand jobs” talking point.

The questions of “who benefits?” can be justly litigated regardless, and I’m not claiming to know the answer, but the fact is that Amazon has a limited number of places where they could site a huge white-collar facility. NYC is one obvious choice, and it’s a reasonable perspective, IMO, to consider the perturbations on the housing market, among other things, and decide that you’d rather see them paying full freight for all of the ancillary benefits of a NY location, rather than getting huge tax breaks and construction grants to build there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Dude.

One can be against corporate subsidies, as I am, while also laughing and being scared to death at the new darling of the left's staggering stupidity when it comes to these issues (and remembering she is now on the finance committee)
    Ok, so you’re against corporate subsidies why, exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Dude.

why do you insist on insulting people's intelligence that disagree with you ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think that’s one of the biggest sticky issues within the community about the the “X-thousand jobs” talking point.

The questions of “who benefits?” can be justly litigated regardless, and I’m not claiming to know the answer, but the fact is that Amazon has a limited number of places where they could site a huge white-collar facility. NYC is one obvious choice, and it’s a reasonable perspective, IMO, to consider the perturbations on the housing market, among other things, and decide that you’d rather see them paying full freight for all of the ancillary benefits of a NY location, rather than getting huge tax breaks and construction grants to build there.
    NY is not going to find another willing partner to generate the same net taxable revenues. This tax breaks argument is so foolish and speaks to a lack of understanding. To focus on the amount reduced is such a small part of the picture.

What about the additional economic activity around the area via small businesses? Families that owned homes that in 5 years will appreciate 25-50-100% in value? Infrastructure projects that can be initiated because there are 100's of billions of future taxable receipts in the next 5-10 years?

Geez - Can the left not understand these basic realities?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    It's not a disagreement. She is fundamentally wrong about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Intelligence should be insulted when people make idiot remarks like the 3 billion is better spent elsewhere.
    Natural Immunity Croc