Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Colon...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    We traded Mallex because we did have the 4th out fielder we wanted in DPete. The reason our bench sucks is DPete and SRod we're both hurt (I think they also know Albies will be up at some point). After knowing that, they didn't do much to correct it, BUT again I think they are only trying to "appear" to win games this year to sell tickets. They won't dump more money in the bench when they know...there is no point.

Good for Gohara. It's one game...let's see him do that consistently. Blair might pitch a shut out next time and Gohara get shelled who knows.

One thing you can say for the Braves strategy with pitching. They are hedging their bets. ANYTIME they can pick up a pitcher with high upside...they knab him. At this point, I would be surprised if we don't have 3-5 pitchers that will turn into #1-3 type starters. If we are lucky we have 4-6 with another draft coming.

I also realize how we talk about poor catching in our system, but looking at the rosters they have so many catchers it's crazy. They might not have any that are producing as of yet, but it's not from lack of effort. With the trades and high draft picks....I am not really happy with who we have, but it is not like they haven't tried to address the problem. As many as we have, there should be one of those guys that turn out to be at least a decent catcher.

I guess the question I have for you guys....Did you really "expect" to win this year?? This team is flawed. Most everyone knows that. A lot of big names that are way past their prime, a lot of low WAR players (granted I am not a WAR is everything guy). Most of us agree this team will win 70 something games, but then act surprised when we loose 😂. This team has the talent to have stretches of really good baseball, but in no way will they be able to do that consistantly.

The worst thing that could happen to us is winning enough games that we don't trade anyone at the deadline. I don't really want to see us win this year, because at BEST....the BEST possible scenario would be us almost making the playoffs with all these over the hill guys.

We still need ALOT of talent. I would be looking to trade anyone at the deadline not in their 20's, and any other high ceiling and inconsistent players (like Viz). So, I don't get upset watching us loose...that's the plan this year (no matter what they say). The target is 2019...they won't tell you that, but that's what it is. Would should be over .500 next year if things go right. This will be the last year for hopefully a decade we will have a loosing record, but fellas...we will have a loosing record this year...we just might look a "little" better doing it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-12-2017), Southcack77 (04-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I thought the year the pie would be ready to come out of the oven was 2018.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-12-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    The trade and the perception of Mallex's upside are two separate issues. Can't speak to the trade, as it will take time to assess. However, will say that the opinion was expressed by me to keep both Mallex and NCRT, partly because speed had been a definite organizational for 20+ years. Obviously, the game has changed, as we don't see the likes of Vince Coleman around the NL anymore either, but it doesn't have to be that way. It would've been fine by me if Mallex had been retained as 4th OF or given opportunity to play everyday in Gwinnett. Think he had options left?

Anyway, my point was that NCRT was really good . As such, might be just the type of player to construct the roster around and could possibly get better when they're ready for serious contention. Meanwhile, there were still loud voices on this board to trade him. Somebody insisted that these two were "the same type of player." Having similar skills sets is NOT the same as same level of ability, but we shouldn't let that stand in the way of Chop Country groupthink.
    I agree. Inciarte is a superior player to Mallex. My only point is that I thought trading Mallex for a high ceiling/high risk pitcher didn't make all that much sense.

I wonder what the offers would be in Inciarte went on the market. As much as I like him as a player, I suspect we'd be underwhelmed.

As per TheBravos question, I still have 2020 vision. It will take awhile for our hitting prospects to get their legs under them at the big league level. Guys like Kemp and Markakis are stop-gaps as we wait for Acuna and others to develop.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 04-08-2017 at 09:29 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (04-08-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I agree. Inciarte is a superior player to Mallex. My only point is that I thought trading Mallex for a high ceiling/high risk pitcher didn't make all that much sense.

I wonder what the offers would be in Inciarte went on the market. As much as I like him as a player, I suspect we'd be underwhelmed.

As per TheBravos question, I still have 2020 vision. It will take awhile for our hitting prospects to get their legs under them at the big league level. Guys like Kemp and Markakis are stop-gaps as we wait for Acuna and others to develop.
    You'll remember my earlier comments, irrespective of what high post count members here thought, it was the philosophy behind the strategy. They wanted to get back to being pitching factory, because that's what they knew that they could do right. It was a matter of following the '85-'91 template. Simply acquire as much young pitching as possible. Some would eventually stick as starters, some as relievers, some wouldn't make it and some would be used as assets to build up other areas of the lineup. They obviously began targeting position players to an extent also to address specific needs, often through international, like you mentioned Acuna (and obviously Maitan, etc.). It's not just Coppy and the 2 Johns running the show. Bobby was front and center through the last rebuild as GM. He still has a consulting role, clearly his opinion is still respected by the organization, esp. as a HOFer.

Maybe next draft, they could surprise us and go after a position player this time.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd rather trade Julio and Freddie and gun for 2020. The real talent in this system is mostly < 20 years old.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    I'd rather trade Julio and Freddie and gun for 2020. The real talent in this system is mostly < 20 years old.
    Some of that talent will fast track. I think we could be a really good team in 2019. I would not trade Freddie unless it was a kings ransom and ONLY if we had someone capable of taking his place (which is a big fat no right now).

Hopefully, as the influx of pitching arrives, they will be willing to trade Julio. Only if we have young guys who are ready, and only if we get a very nice package for him. Otherwise...keep him for his full contract. Imagine if Julio is your 4-5th best pitcher.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Do people still like watching him pitch?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Snitker on Colón's performance last night: "he got a little fat in the zone."

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-12-2017), Julio3000 (04-12-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-12-2017), Preacher (04-12-2017), Tapate50 (04-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Snitker on Colón's performance last night: "he got a little fat in the zone."
    HR is going to have to pay Snit a visit.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Do people still like watching him pitch?
    I was behind home plate in Miami last night among a crowd of 37,000, and I can report that many, many people enjoyed watching him pitch. Especially Marcell Ozuna.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (04-12-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-12-2017), Tapate50 (04-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I was behind home plate in Miami last night among a crowd of 37,000, and I can report that many, many people enjoyed watching him pitch. Especially Marcell Ozuna.
    Post more
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-12-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-12-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Bartolo already ate the pie and then some.