Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Atlanta's mayor has released a statement:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...g-to-do/nbpXF/
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Chick Fil A stadium

Home Depot Field

Coca Cola Park

Delta Stadium

Let's hope it's the latter.
    Delta Field

Coca Cola Park

Those two have to be in the running if te naming rights will be sold. Better not be something stupid like "Petco".

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    And there is no indication that they need to accept the one to get the other.
    Agreed, but these backroom deals generally have some strings attached.

Braves are smarter than this, they won't alienate the south (majority black) entirely. It would be bad PR and they can only use Hank Aaron so much for race relations..
    Forever Fredi

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Guess we could ask Rico this question but considering how long it takes to get from say Alpharetta to Turner Field, is Chattanooga now in play for fans and travel time???
    I have lots of friends in the Chattanooga/Cleveland, TN area and they are excited about this. I live north of Cumming and HATE driving to Turner Field. In fact, I don't anymore. I went to one game last year on a Saturday night and it took me 2 1/2 hours to make the 50 mile drive. I swore I would never do that again.

The big issue is that for people who live in Marietta/Woodstock/Roswell/Alpharetta, they can now drive home and pick up the kids and head to the park. No way you can do that now and make it on time.

I love this move, although, I would have preferred the old GM plant.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Why the hell did we spend so much money on that stupid giant cow

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Delta Field

Coca Cola Park

Those two have to be in the running if te naming rights will be sold. Better not be something stupid like "Petco".

Affordable Care Act Field. You know its coming...

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorRog View Post
    Affordable Care Act Field. You know its coming...
    Forever Fredi

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    So... basically what Mayor Reed is saying there, is that that there was no way the Braves were staying without taxpayer money being put into the stadium? Taxpayer money... like what's going into the Falcons' new stadium? Am I understanding that correctly? I guess it's not worth paying out money to a sports venue unless it's something new.

Honestly, I'd be way more excited if they'd invest taxpayer money into mass transit, instead of a stadium that will be used 8 times a year. But that's another thread, I suppose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wheresmykayak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-11-2013)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post
    So... basically what Mayor Reed is saying there, is that that there was no way the Braves were staying without taxpayer money being put into the stadium? Taxpayer money... like what's going into the Falcons' new stadium? Am I understanding that correctly? I guess it's not worth paying out money to a sports venue unless it's something new.

Honestly, I'd be way more excited if they'd invest taxpayer money into mass transit, instead of a stadium that will be used 8 times a year. But that's another thread, I suppose.
    Falcons stadium is being paid for by a hotel tax, so unless you are buying out hotel rooms you aren't fitting the bill.

The mass transit to Turner Field has been talked about for ages, but it never gets done. The city owns the land, MARTA is privately financed. You know there's going to be some major hurdles taht will never get over.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I bet ownership is going to want to go into 2017 with a big splash. Hopefully some big time extensions are signed as a result of this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Well, I guess my point is that they were willing to find something to tax to make the money happen for the Falcons, but apparently not for the Braves. I understand most people prefer the NFL in this day and age, but still. From the outside it looks like they didn't try as hard to keep the Braves in Atlanta.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I bet ownership is going to want to go into 2017 with a big splash. Hopefully some big time extensions are signed as a result of this.
    if the 200 mill they are putting into the stadium doesn't bust them.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Well, I guess my point is that they were willing to find something to tax to make the money happen for the Falcons, but apparently not for the Braves. I understand most people prefer the NFL in this day and age, but still. From the outside it looks like they didn't try as hard to keep the Braves in Atlanta.
    Not really. The Braves are probably the most popular team in the city, 2nd most popular in the state behind UGA.

The Falcons don't sell out games either, and they're blessed with having the MARTA line go straight to the Dome. They won't have that luxury with the new stadium.
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I wonder if this has been in the plans for a long while and is a reason money was not put back into payroll and extensions. Tho to be realistic, there havent been that many players worth extending until recently. All of a sudden players like Price and Scherzer could become affordable for the long term.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Not really. The Braves are probably the most popular team in the city, 2nd most popular in the state behind UGA.

The Falcons don't sell out games either, and they're blessed with having the MARTA line go straight to the Dome. They won't have that luxury with the new stadium.
    I can believe that part. Used to work for UGA, and the only thing people ever used to ask me when they found out was "How 'bout dem dawgs?". When in reality, I'm not much of a college football person.

And makes sense about the Falcons... especially now that they're 2-7.

I guess I'm one of those people that sort of has a chip on their shoulder toward football, for some reason. If I hear ONE more person talk about how baseball is all standing around, and then say football is faster paced, I'll... I'll...

I'll complain about it on the internet, of course.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I can believe that part. Used to work for UGA, and the only thing people ever used to ask me when they found out was "How 'bout dem dawgs?". When in reality, I'm not much of a college football person.

And makes sense about the Falcons... especially now that they're 2-7.

I guess I'm one of those people that sort of has a chip on their shoulder toward football, for some reason. If I hear ONE more person talk about how baseball is all standing around, and then say football is faster paced, I'll... I'll...

I'll complain about it on the internet, of course.
    Falcons have sucked the majority of their lifetime in Atlanta.

And like the Braves in recent history, whenever they make it to the big stage they find a way to choke or get screwed/screw themselves.

Falcons have a huge bandwagon contingency when they do good.
    Forever Fredi

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/99...bb-county-2017

"The reason for moving is simple," the team said in a statement on the website. "The current location has certain issues that are insurmountable and will only become more problematic over the years. These fundamental issues involve how you, our fans, access Turner Field. There is a lack of consistent mass transportation, a lack of sufficient parking and a lack of direct access to interstates."

That part is interesting. It'd be asinine to point out that part and actually downgrade on available transit. Makes me wonder what they have planned.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/99...bb-county-2017

"The reason for moving is simple," the team said in a statement on the website. "The current location has certain issues that are insurmountable and will only become more problematic over the years. These fundamental issues involve how you, our fans, access Turner Field. There is a lack of consistent mass transportation, a lack of sufficient parking and a lack of direct access to interstates."

That part is interesting. It'd be asinine to point out that part and actually downgrade on available transit. Makes me wonder what they have planned.
    It's really bad.

Your best bet for rail is to go to Georgia State stop, and walk the mile and a half to the stadium. You can go to the 5 points stop and take the provided shuttle busses but in traffic that sucks too.
    Forever Fredi

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I'm just glad we are moving out of the ballpark that sucks when it comes to post season. That is if you even get there. We have had such bad luck in that park!!!!!

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I hope they hire a good architect and design a beautiful stadium and add interesting dimensions. Turner Field is so damn vanilla it makes me puke.