Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Stand or Nah?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ok, so we're still inhabiting a place where saying things that are divisive and controversial and sometimes conspiratorial are morally equivalent to eliminationism and racism.

Jeremiah Wright made racial comments just like Richard spencer has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Ok, so we're still inhabiting a place where saying things that are divisive and controversial and sometimes conspiratorial are morally equivalent to eliminationism and racism.
    I'm saying I wasn't into any kind of illegal drugs in my younger days, but I still ended up at parties where I saw them used. I left when I saw it, but I was there. Maybe some will say I am guilty by association, but to me there is a big difference.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,824 Posts
    There's no question in my mind that Wright is a racist. Do you disagree?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,824 Posts
    Err...how did he not have an opportunity to do so?

I do find it telling that y'all are rehashing done-to-death decade-old pseudocobtroversies, though.
    Speaking of re-hashing done-to-death psuedocontroversies...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,824 Posts
    Julio... feel free to be on the side that everyone who is a white male conservative is a racist, and go back to arguing that we shouldn't call babies certain genders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Julio... feel free to be on the side that everyone who is a white male conservative is a racist, and go back to arguing that we shouldn't call babies certain genders
    This is the real truth on the left now. If you're white you are inherently evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...m19cxtn994edwr

NFL's TV numbers still sliding; 2017 figures down big from same period in '15

The NFL's once-golden network TV numbers continue to drop.

NFL games averaged 15.1 million viewers through Week 7, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. That's down 5.1 percent from 15.87 million viewers during the same period last season and off 18.7 percent from 18.35 million viewers during the same period in 2015.

Viewership numbers are lagging for a variety of reasons, not least the ongoing protests during the national anthem that former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began in 2016. Fans are still angry about Kaepernick’s continued unemployment as well as what's seen as the growing politicization of the NFL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Waiter: MLB catcher Bruce Maxwell made up story about service refusal over anthem protest

Oakland A’s catcher Bruce Maxwell, 26, claimed this week that a waiter in his Alabama hometown of Huntsville refused him service after identifying him as the MLB player who took the knee during “The Star Spangled Banner” last month — only the waiter has a very different version of events and he told Fox News that was far from what went down.

“He is outright lying. This is really upsetting as he was given full service, I didn’t even know who Bruce Maxwell was,” Matt Henry, a 42-year-old waiter at Keegan’s Public House, told Fox News. “This all started because I carded his friend who wanted to order a beer.”

“I didn’t know anything about him or the kneeling. All I know is a friend of mine 15 years ago lost his job for serving someone a drink who happened to be underage, so if anyone looks under 30, I’m going to card them.”

The waiter said that the councilman then complained to the restaurant’s manager about Maxwell being uncomfortable, and the manager simply swapped me to another table, and that it was “no big deal.”

The restaurant manager on duty that day, Anne Whalen — who requested the restaurant name not be used without permission from the owner — also told Fox News that Maxwell’s story being portrayed in the media could not be further from the truth.

“Matt came to me and told me that a guy wanted a beer but his ID was not valid and I told him he absolutely could not give it to him, we can go to jail for that in the state of Alabama," the manager said.

"It was his friend causing all the fuss, none of us even knew who this baseball player was. I told him I had no idea who he was going on about,” she said. “Eventually Matt just asked if we could put another server on the table so I did. … I can’t believe the story.”

Whalen said that of the three men, Maxwell was the only one who produced a valid ID and thus was the only one they served a beer to.

However, Maxwell told TMZ Sports this week — and headlines since have spanned the globe — that the waiter said to him, “You’re the guy who took the knee?” After confirming he was, Maxwell alleged that the waiter then responded, “I voted for Trump, and I stand for everything he stands for,” and then refused to serve him.

This allegedly prompted the councilman, who is a high school friend and is African-American, to approach the restaurant’s manager who then mitigated the situation by putting another waiter on their table.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Ok.

Jaw, thethe, krgrecw, sturg:

You guys find me the worst things that Jeremiah Wright said from the pulpit. I'll spend 30 minutes perusing only the websites of featured speakers at the Unite the Right march. Then we'll compare notes and play the moral equivalence game. Anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I'm saying I wasn't into any kind of illegal drugs in my younger days, but I still ended up at parties where I saw them used. I left when I saw it, but I was there. Maybe some will say I am guilty by association, but to me there is a big difference.
    Did you go to a lot of parties that were organized by drug dealers, and advertised as "Hey, this is the drugs party, sponsored by the people who sell the drugs, which will feature many appearances by people who likewise sell and consume the drugs!"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The rich irony here is that a lot of what Obama got clobbered with w/r/t Wright was the idea that many of America's woes, notably 9/11, were largely chickens coming home to roost . . . which is pretty much an article of faith for white nationalists (albeit with an anti-Semitic spin) and Paulites.

When a white nationalist says it: Free speech!
    When a Paulite says it: Facts don't care about your feelings.
    When a black liberation preacher says it: Burn the witch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Did you go to a lot of parties that were organized by drug dealers, and advertised as "Hey, this is the drugs party, sponsored by the people who sell the drugs, which will feature many appearances by people who likewise sell and consume the drugs!"
    Maybe. I wasn't really the kinda guy that read a lot of fliers. More of a word of mouth type that just skims headlines until I see something that looks interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    good

**** that guy
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Papa John?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    good

**** that guy
    We will see how much the players care when they start getting paid less.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Papa John?
    yeah
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    good

**** that guy
    That's business. People get mad, ratings go down, ad returns go down, ad revenue goes down, profit goes down, salary goes down. There isn't much mystery to how this plays out except for wondering how the NFL proceeds. This could even be good for the long term health of the league if it forces them to reduce TV content while being able to blame it on something besides overconsumption.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    yeah
    dominos/pizza hut/lil caesar's/papa johns

only

Which do you choose?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    dominos/pizza hut/lil caesar's/papa johns

only

Which do you choose?
    None of the above—but Papa John's is the worst of the four. If the anthem protests bring that monster down, it'd be a boon for all pizza-eating humanity.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."