Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I get third and left but how do you see the rotation playing out next season?
    I would move two of Teheran, Folty and Newcomb depending on which ones had the most value as part of the trades to fill left and third.

I would then pivot and fill a rotation spot by looking for an expensive but productive starting pitcher. A couple candidates I have in mind are Greinke and Samardzija. The rest of the rotation would come from the holdover from the Teheran, Folty, Newcomb trio plus Gohara, Soroka, and the best of the rest from Allard/Fried/Sims/Weigel/Wright.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would move two of Teheran, Folty and Newcomb depending on which ones had the most value as part of the trades to fill left and third.

I would then pivot and fill a rotation spot by looking for an expensive but productive starting pitcher. A couple candidates I have in mind are Greinke and Samardzija. The rest of the rotation would come from the holdover from the Teheran, Folty, Newcomb trio plus Gohara, Soroka, and the best of the rest from Allard/Fried/Sims/Weigel/Wright.
    I think Wright will absolutely be in the rotation next yaer and the fifth spot will come down to the remaining guys you referenced.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Sure, but if we could only do one, I think we made the right choice.

We will have about 60M to play with next off-season. I would use the money to acquire 3 productive but low surplus value players. This will enable us to keep all of our core prospects and players. While our needs could change based on how players develop, the 3 players I would choose would play left, third and take up a spot in the rotation.
    It makes zero sense to convert surplus value in the rotation to zero value in the rotation. The foundation of this rebuild is built on developing surplus value in the rotation. Whether that was the correct path or not, if that doesn’t pan out, the Braves will not be competitive.

The Braves will need to acquire a player for LF, 3B and C next offseason. I agree that all 3 will carry almost zero surplus value because 2 will be signed on the FA market, and the 3rd will be acquired by trading away as little as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It makes zero sense to convert surplus value in the rotation to zero value in the rotation. The foundation of this rebuild is built on developing surplus value in the rotation.
    If we have an opportunity to do a trade next off-season along the lines of Wentz for Greinke (where we assume the non-deferred part of his salary), I think we should do it. Assuming Greinke has a productive and healthy 2018.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If we have an opportunity to do a trade next off-season along the lines of Wentz for Greinke (where we assume the non-deferred part of his salary), I think we should do it. Assuming Greinke has a productive and healthy 2018.
    Just so I’m clear...

You would not be in favor of paying Donaldson $150M for the remaining 15 WAR he is likely to produce through his age 37-38 season, but you are in favor of giving up a FV 50 prospect for the right to pay Grienke $35M when he is 37 years old?

You are against paying a position player, yet you are for paying a pitcher when the organization has its Top 10 prospects consisting of 8 pitchers?

Sorry, this conversation has officially gone off the loony cliff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Just so I’m clear...

You would not be in favor of paying Donaldson $150M for the remaining 15 WAR he is likely to produce through his age 37-38 season, but you are in favor of giving up a FV 50 prospect for the right to pay Grienke $35M when he is 37 years old?

You are against paying a position player, yet you are for paying a pitcher when the organization has its Top 10 prospects consisting of 8 pitchers?

Sorry, this conversation has officially gone off the loony cliff.
    u have put it better than I could have...except I specified what part of greinke contract I would want to pay

"I am your retribution."

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I wonder if the Braves have any interest in David Freese or Josh Harrison now that it's apparent the Pirates are unloading.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    And just so everyone is clear on the Cutch trade. Cutch has roughly 25-30 million in surplus value. Reynolds was a 50FV guy a year ago who played well. Last year 50 FV hitters worth 20 million in and value and that's likely climbed to the high 20's for this offseason. It wasn't a lite return. It's just a continuation of what we've seen the last couple of seasons. Nsacpi is absolutely right in that there should be these types of guys available next year to fill some holes. Guys with small amounts of surplus value if any at all and trade them for next to nothing of from the plethora of 50FV guys we have.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    I wonder if the Braves have any interest in David Freese or Josh Harrison now that it's apparent the Pirates are unloading.
    Most recent word is the Braves are only interested in guys that can help the next 3 years if they are willing to take a backloaded contract.

That’s exactly the opposite of when they said they wanted a stopgap at 3b a month ago, but that’s what they’ve said haha.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    If I were making a play for anyone Pittsburgh has left, it'd be Marte. If they wanted to unload Freese's salary as part of a deal, great.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Nunez is someone whose price might drop to an AAV of 10M or less...2 years backloaded with an option would work nicely for us

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Nunez is someone whose price might drop to an AAV of 10M or less...2 years backloaded with an option would work nicely for us
    It is certainly odd to see the Braves pivot from wanting a stopgap to wanting a 3 year guy on a backloaded deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It is certainly odd to see the Braves pivot from wanting a stopgap to wanting a 3 year guy on a backloaded deal.
    they probably did not anticipate this year's market developing in the way it has...especially the market for third basemen...Nunez could presumably be flipped if Riley turns out to be the real deal

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Man, this OF market. I think we'd need to send $6-8m to move Markakis. We might as well keep him in a LF platoon, as much as it pains me to say it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Man, this OF market. I think we'd need to send $6-8m to move Markakis. We might as well keep him in a LF platoon, as much as it pains me to say it.

Confirmation just provided by Granderson signing a one year deal for 5M

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post

I know he's 36 but he's coming off two 2 WAR seasons. The OF market has cratered. Yeah nobody is taking Markakis right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I know he's 36 but he's coming off two 2 WAR seasons. The OF market has cratered. Yeah nobody is taking Markakis right now.
    pretty big disconnect between the Bruce and Granderson deals...Mets continue to be a dumb organization

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Never heard of him. No one has ever brought him up before. Tell me more
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Never heard of him. No one has ever brought him up before. Tell me more
    hasn't amounted to much until the last two seasons...i see a parallel with Flowers...a late bloomer where a significant part of the improvement came via a drop in the strikeout rate...to me that suggests a good chance the improvement can be sustained a few more years

has reverse career platoon splits...another similarity he has with flowers...i like guys who can give you some immunity against the trend toward more aggressively using the pen to get a favorable matchup...
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-15-2018 at 10:15 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think you’re right.

A lot of our (or my) ideas about building a competitive 2018 roster hinged on the assumption that Markakis and his whole contract could be given away.

Now that it’s pretty clearly not the case, it seems there was no realistic path for the Braves to become an 85 win team this offseason.

AA was right to punt 2018.