Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I don't understand why any Braves fan wouldn't think this is a good thing. More ticket sales, increased payroll, higher total revenue. This is a great thing...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-11-2013), goldfly (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    I don't understand why any Braves fan wouldn't think this is a good thing. More ticket sales, increased payroll, higher total revenue. This is a great thing...
    agreed
    Ivermectin Man

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    There are plenty of people that live in the City of Atlanta (proper) that don't like the move for a couple reasons. One, this location will be more inconvenient for many (though it will be more convenient for many more).

Also, there are people that realize how this could affect downtown Atlanta long-term. It's one thing to realize that this could help more fans attend games and may produce more championships, but there will be a negative impact on downtown atlanta and specifically the turner field neighborhood. There were high hopes for improving that neighborhood......and it just didn't happen.

I don't blame the Braves for moving, and from a baseball perspective I think it is great. But, as a city of atlanta resident and as someone who longs to see a vibrant urban core in Atlanta, this is definitely a step backwards.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to graffy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffy View Post
    There are plenty of people that live in the City of Atlanta (proper) that don't like the move for a couple reasons. One, this location will be more inconvenient for many (though it will be more convenient for many more).

Also, there are people that realize how this could affect downtown Atlanta long-term. It's one thing to realize that this could help more fans attend games and may produce more championships, but there will be a negative impact on downtown atlanta and specifically the turner field neighborhood. There were high hopes for improving that neighborhood......and it just didn't happen.

I don't blame the Braves for moving, and from a baseball perspective I think it is great. But, as a city of atlanta resident and as someone who longs to see a vibrant urban core in Atlanta, this is definitely a step backwards.
    I blame the city of Atlanta. Derek Schiller said on the radio today that when they first explored the idea of Braves Town, they wanted to do it at the current site. But they got no help from the city. The Braves are doing what they have to. Forget the city of Atlanta. That city council is full of people so corrupt they make Enron jealous...

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I blame the city of Atlanta. Derek Schiller said on the radio today that when they first explored the idea of Braves Town, they wanted to do it at the current site. But they got no help from the city. The Braves are doing what they have to. Forget the city of Atlanta. That city council is full of people so corrupt they make Enron jealous...
    True. There is plenty of the blame to go around. At the end of the day, the city didn't give the Braves enough reasons to stay. I'm not saying the city isn't to blame, just that it's sad.
    Last edited by graffy; 11-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Turner Field sucks because it wasn't meant for baseball, they only modified it to become a baseball stadium.
    Turner Field doesn't suck, and it was definitely meant for baseball. The Olympic Stadium was specifically designed to ultimately be a baseball stadium.

I like Turner field a lot. It is a nice stadium.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Javyz1fan (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Turner Field doesn't suck, and it was definitely meant for baseball. The Olympic Stadium was specifically designed to ultimately be a baseball stadium.

I like Turner field a lot. It is a nice stadium.
    This.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Javyz1fan (11-12-2013)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    no doubt

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I'll have to see what public transportation plans will be before making a final final judgement. But the organization is making the right move financially, without a doubt.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    So far I like the idea. Stadium is to small for the area IMO. They better not forget us longtime season ticket holders. I've had 6 tickets for 15 years. I better get similar seats. I still wish they had built it up 400 above Mansel road near Milton maybe. That would be more of a central location to draw from all the Northern suburbs. The Falcons should have made a similar move.

To correct some of the points in this thread. The Ted does not suck. Not a bad seat in the house. It reportedly needed or the Braves requested 400 million dollars or so of refurbishment. To include but not limited to plumbing, seats, parking, etc. The city wouldn't get behind this.

Couldn't disagree more with Metahater in this thread. Downtown is beginning to crumble. Hell even Harold's BBQ closed down. After dark you don't really want to be anywhere South of Ted near Lake City or over near Hill Street (West). I was out on Bankhead Hwy a few months ago and there was a big abandoned, dilapidated building with the words "Don't bother the copper plumbing has already been stolen" painted on it's side. Yea downtown Atlanta is a wonderful place to raise your family. Never leave your car parked overnight. My cousin had his rental car broken into down there a couple of years ago. Flew in from Minnesota to visit his mother, went to the game first and had several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment stolen from his luggage locked in the trunk. Marta sucks. Nothing more than a jobs program for city residents because local pols won't clean the place up to attract new businesses. Plenty of studies to show it's a failure. Also plenty of accusations regarding discrimination in hiring practices. It's Georgia's version of Amtrak!

Meta quit being stupid. You're scarier than any black person I ever met!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    [MENTION=225]VOLracious[/MENTION] Out of curiosity, where are your seats?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post
    Meta quit being stupid. You're scarier than any black person I ever met!
    Th... thank you?

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I moved out of the ATL area in 2001, what has changed. I remember the team drawing well the the 90's. Surely the team has had a 3 million fan season at Turner Field. Is the traffic that bad. Also, there is no area in Atlanta that is as rough as Detroit, South Philly, or the Bronx.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I've never actually been to Turner Field, which is sort of an unfortunate realization. I suppose I should get down to see a game there at some point, but it's hard to work up too much motivation. Turner's just never been that kind of stadium, I guess. It's always looked (from a distance) like a solid, well-maintained, thoroughly boring park. I mean, for the longest time the big point of pride was that Turner Field's drainage system was so awesome there wasn't a rainout until 2002.

Woo-hoo! I mean, objectively speaking field drainage is incredibly important in a baseball stadium, but...look at that shiny thing they built in Pittsburgh!

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I just think it's cool that we are getting a new stadium. Forget all of the externalities. I didn't think we'd get one for another 20 years.
    This. The thought of something completely new just bogles my mind. It's like an early Christmas present, or a blockbuster trade.

What has been a bigger Braves news story in the last 20 years?

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    We could have a 'Stone Mountain' in center. Just a huge cement hill.
    As long as we get highlights of Bryce Harper or Carlos Gomez crashing into it.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    New Field Wish List:

Unique Deisgn
    Unique Dimensions
    Retractable Roof
    I seem to be a rainout magnet, so I initially wondered about a roof. But I bet that would double the cost of the project. Also, how many rainouts have the Braves had since 97? I'd be interested to know the stat on that.

I only got to visit the Ted for a game one time, and it will probably never happen again. Ironically it was the hottest day in the south that I can remember, so climate controlled park would have been nice. While I like the Ted, it seems....too big. Either that or the amount of seats just didn't work in that part of town, who knows.

Having gone to all my games at Fulton County from 82-92, I don't remember the area being safe in any way shape or form. My grandfather lived in College Park, and the drive to and from Atlanta made my skin crawl. (I was from an area way east of LA)

If this move helps us with better attendance (sellouts of important games), sells more per game in the regular season, I'm all for it. We had some games at home before clinching in September where we had 15k (estimate). Look how many people came out when Carlos Gomez made an ass of himself. It's embarrasing.

But Mossy, it was a school night. But Mossy, it's hard to get in and out of the Ted. But Mossy, it's a bad area. Whatever. I'm sick of hearing it. I don't hear other teams of contenders talk about these issues.

Yes, I live in the backwoods of Southern Oregon, where opinions about the Atlanta Braves don't mean jack squat. So please flame me not. But I'll explain it. I have a passion of baseball. I have a passion for Braves baseball. The spirit of baseball brings back memories of my dear grandfather Curtis, who got me into baseball. He had a passion of Georgia and the people of the great city of Atlanta. I stayed every summer at their house under the flight path of Hartsfield-Jackson. So ya know what? I love the city of Atlanta. I love Delta, Coke, sweet tea, Outkast, TLC (cheesy I know), and all the wonderful memories I have as a kid in the 80's and early 90's before I worried about life. The sounds of a baseball hitting a glove in his front yard. Going to games in '91 when we started winning, and I couldn't believe there was life after Murphy. I can still hear him cheering "Alriiiiiight!!!!" when something good happened.

Grampa would have approved of this move, even if it meant travelling farther to see the game. I wish he were here so we could talk about it. When he lived in Duluth and Lawrenceville, we went to games all the time.

If my wife and kids weren't so attached to the beautiful state of Oregon, I'd live somewhere north of Atlanta. I'd buy season tix. I'd buy them if it meant moving the team to Macon, and having to sit between Gatom and Wilbo....and that's sayin something.
    Last edited by mossy; 11-11-2013 at 11:56 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

drewdat (11-12-2013), jpx7 (11-12-2013)

Creepy Lurking Stalker OkieBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Like many of you, I was very surprised by the news of a new ballpark. It wasn't long ago that there was discussion of the Turner Field area getting a "face-lift" with the city working to develop the area(The Beltway Project). Since I don't live in Atlanta this was the last I heard of it. The area around The Ted is not great and clearly it's not getting better any time soon...
    The saddest part to me is the history that has been made there good and bad. When Turner Field opened, I was disappointed. It was "better" than AFCS but not near as original as Coors Field, Camden Yards, and Ballpark at Arlington. The fact that they used a modified Olympic Stadium made it bland. This is a chance for them to do it right. If enough thought is put into this place they will have a gem that will make people forget that they are moving out to the 'burbs.
    A MARTA line out there would be very helpful and I would imagine that if this deal is finalized then it will be on the way.
    As for the ballpark complex, I would like to see the Braves do something like what Oakland wanted to do.

More images here...LINK

If this is what the Braves do then it will be the best thing that could happen to the organization. As a ballpark nerd, I can't wait for the concepts to come out and to see what this thing is going to look like. My fear is that they are going to get really cutesy with this and make it a little too "family friendly" if you know what I mean. (i.e. the Tooner Field bull**** that was/is at Turner Field) This should be a beautiful ballpark and a future classic park, not a babysitter for the bratty kids.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Anyone who lives in that area knows that is a terrible location for a stadium! Traffic trying to get to a 7:00 game with no public transportation is gonna be horrific!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    The Braves kind of pride themselves in being a classic-traditional franchise with a touch of modern taste.

I hope the ballpark concepts will make it look retro, with modern touches. I don't want it to look outrageous like a Marlins Park, Citi Field, or bland like Nationals Park. Like Okie said, the Camden/Arlington look, looks pretty nice and it'd be useful since the Atlanta skyline is no longer in play. They should be able to make it look much prettier with 10k less capacity. New Yankee Stadium still kind of has a classic look to it, despite the fact it looks really not that much like Old Yankee Stadium.

I'd imagine the Braves may even try to go back for the Biggest HD scoreboard record they had before other stadiums eclipsed theirs. It'd be tough to topple the Jerrytron in Dallas, but if Schuerholz says this is gonna be a marvelous new facility, I wouldn't put it past them to try it.
    Forever Fredi